anybody have any bad deals with tci transmission? (1 Viewer)

mokanmike

Nitro Member
i bought a new trans/ convertor combo from tci for my street rod, took it for a test drive and the thing makes a loud whining noise. i called ther warranty dept. and was told to send it back at my expense plus i have to pay the builder to take out and reinstall, is this common business practice?
thanks, mike

I have not heard alot of good about certain trans companys. You may want to try carjunkietvforums for actual user testemonials.

i bought a new trans/ convertor combo from tci for my street rod, took it for a test drive and the thing makes a loud whining noise. i called ther warranty dept. and was told to send it back at my expense plus i have to pay the builder to take out and reinstall, is this common business practice?
thanks, mike
Who installed? TCI?

TCI has been sold a few times. I had a bad experience in the mid nineties. Turbo shifted like an old powerglide. Sent it back at my expense. Got it back,no noticeable difference. Best guess is the case is bad. Yours sounds like a front pump.

thanks, mike

Some of the companies will pay mitchell hours for warranty purposes "IF" they examine the unit and find it to be their fault. They usually let you know in advance their warranty procedures.

it was installed by the car builder (this car is a glass 32 ford), tci's basically said that once it leaves there shop it's your's. so my options now are to pay a local trans shop to take apart and fix or ship it back at my expense plus i have to pay to have it removed and reinstalled. tci's stance is if we make a mistake so what your stuck with it. poor service if you ask me and i will never recommend them to anyone.
mike

thanks, mike

IS IT POSSIBLE MAYBE INSTALLER DAMAGE PUMP DURING INSTALLATION. IS THIS A THREE SPEED OR OVERDRIVE, AND IS THE NOISE IN ALL GEARS. ARE YOU NEAR KANSAS CITY AREA, TCI SHOULD HAVE SOMEONE NEAR YOU THAT COULD FIX IT WITHOUT SENDING IT BACK.

If the manufacturer of the product does not perform the installation, it is normal for the consumer to have to cover labor charges. This is not unique to the transmission business.

I had a new TCI tranny, converter, and valve body installed. It did not last a year and made only four passes down the track. I had had the unit for 14 months when I called TCI and explained my situation. Additionally the performance was significantly "off" from the prior transmission and converter with published specifications being identical. I had to provide answers for several people at TCI but the result was:

TCI stepped up and sent a replacement converter and complete tranny rebuild kit for their product at no expense to me. Yes I had to pay someone much smarter than myself to rebuild and install, but TCI tech support also provided assistance with some "tweaks" for the installer and despite my having to pay for the additional labor I was extremely pleased with TCI coming through when they were not technically required to do so.

No company is perfect, especially when dealing with performance parts being installed into all kinds of combinations. I have seen your same question many times in the world of computers and the answer in that occupation is the same. The part is warranted but the install is not, unless it is performed by the manufacturer.

Like Ted said, most companies cover the product, not the install/removal expenses. Make sure that it is TCI's fault before you get riled up. Maybe your installer did goof something up, who knows. Next time I would find a good trans man close to you and see if he can get you set up with a good unit.

I BOUGHT A COMBINATION A1 GLIDE/CONVERTER AND ENDED UP WITH A CONVERTER PROBLEM. I HAD TO PAY SHIPPING BACK TO THEM, ALL THAT WAS WORTH IT CAUSE THERE ENGINEERS WORK WITH ME AND IN THE END GOT OK FROM LINGENFELTER TO USE ONE OF HIS CONVERTER SETUP AND IT WORK OUT GREAT.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back