Question about nhra and rain (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
First off I do like that in Drag Racing we do not have provisionals or anything like that. IF you don't run in qualifying you don't get in, its that simple.

With that said though I'm curious as to why in situations like St louis why don't they try to get 3 pro sessions in on Saturday? 2 sessions just isn't enough and as we saw teams that would have made the show left out. I'd rather see all the teams have an extra shot instead of the weather playing so much of a roll.

I do realize with curfew at some tracks trying to add a session may not be possible but that would be few tracks.

Yes, Saturday would go a little longer then but any leftover sportsman could go Sunday Am as prerace events don't usually start until later.

Anyways just curious, I couldn't rememeber if they had tried it before or why it isn't tried now.

Going into Saturday, they had about 280 Sportsman entries that hadn't had a single time trial or qualifying pass. Stock, Super Gas and Super Comp got one hit (Comp Elim got two), then they started eliminations after the final Pro session. Running a third round of Pro qualifying would have bumped the Sportsman eliminations well into the wee hours, and they DID run more Sportsman eliminations Sunday morning before the pre-race ceremonies.

If it had been a Pro-Only event, three qualifying rounds would have been easy.

NHRA would be happy with one run on Fri. and one run on Sat. less work and they have your money for both days.

I wasn't sure if it was always a no to running 3 in one day or if they would consider it. Obviosuly if the sportsman haven't had a shot yet then they also need to run. Sounds like there wasn't any time to fit it in this weekend.

The Sportsman cars ran eliminations after the second Pro qualifying session Saturday and finished around mifnight, then came back and ran again Sunday morning, along with the Pro Mod first round.

So the simple answer is, there isn't one. When Mother Nature eats one day out of a three-day event, the Pros will only get two qualifying sessions because there are also a bunch of Sportsman racers that paid for their chance to race.

Once again...The Sportsman cars are trying to be made the step children of NHRA!

No I didn't mean to screw the sportsman guys. I thought they normally started racing Thrusday for some reason.

I was just curious and it appears that there just isn't enough time. its a shame but thats how it is

The NHRA has cut most events back to a three-day schedule - that makes for long days when the weather is good. When it rains it's a real mess because the schedule is tight even without the rain.

As long as they continue to run sportsman cars at National events, they will be faced with the situation like they just had.

Jay

But if they dont have the Sportsman at nationals they would have to start paying the Pros out of there pocket

Lanny

That's the thing I being trying to make people understand for years!
Without the Sportsman, they're wouldnt be any pros!!

I know this is not the main topic of this thread but still applies. With the delays and/or "dew" situatuion, only some of the pro stock cars were able to run Friday. I think that is totally unfair. Since they were able to run part of a pro session, did that mean no money back? Is that why they do something so blatantly wrong? Just wondering.........

Maybe the NHRA Brass will cut their salaries in half and purchase temporary canopies to be installed over the track and stands of each facility like a revival does?

This year has been like the Sahara Desert compared to previous rained out years.

I was at Denver the only time NHRA had 3 Pro sessions on Saturday! That was awesome! Joe Amato ran that awesome 4.58 on the Mountain!

I know this is not the main topic of this thread but still applies. With the delays and/or "dew" situatuion, only some of the pro stock cars were able to run Friday. I think that is totally unfair. Since they were able to run part of a pro session, did that mean no money back? Is that why they do something so blatantly wrong? Just wondering.........

No, they didn't complete a Pro session so all Friday tickets were a face value credit towards a ticket for any of the remaining days. I'm not sure where you're coming from with the "blatantly wrong" but there was no question to anyone there that the track was not fit to race on.

While I am totally against the $20 parking fee, that no-income day had to seriously hurt. I've been there before, and you pretty much have 100% expenses balanced against little or no income.

There were hardly any people there Friday due to the intermittant rain and gloomy weather forecasts. The track couldn't have taken in much at all even counting the parking and concessions.

No, they didn't complete a Pro session so all Friday tickets were a face value credit towards a ticket for any of the remaining days. I'm not sure where you're coming from with the "blatantly wrong" but there was no question to anyone there that the track was not fit to race on.

Just my opinion but some getting runs that count while others do not is just wrong. Granted the runs were not that great but it still gave some more oppurtunity than others. In the past, part of the second session TF cars made runs that counted in the "good Fri night session" while others were not allowed to run. Like I said, just my opinion but not right............

Just my opinion but some getting runs that count while others do not is just wrong. Granted the runs were not that great but it still gave some more oppurtunity than others. In the past, part of the second session TF cars made runs that counted in the "good Fri night session" while others were not allowed to run. Like I said, just my opinion but not right............

I see what you're saying. Graham Light mentioned that the decision was made so as not to penalize the racers who had managed to accomplish something.

I can remember sessions being handled both ways, and someone got burned either way.

One year at Indy the Pro Stock session was interrupted by a severe summer storm. When the rain stopped and the session resumed, the temperature had dropped over 15 degrees - a huge advantage to those running in the second part.

At another track (Atlanta?) the session was cancelled and most of the cars didn't get a time. This was in the days before assigned qualifying slots and the cars who always tried to hang back got the shaft.

Like I said, either way there's someone who's going to be upset. I certainly don't have the answer.

Maybe the NHRA Brass will cut their salaries in half and purchase temporary canopies to be installed over the track and stands of each facility like a revival does?

This year has been like the Sahara Desert compared to previous rained out years.
I have thought of several ways to do that, and it wouldn't be that hard.

At each NHRA sanctioned track, just put up permanent poles 40' high (or whatever is deemed safe etc.) and then make provision to attach said canopy to them. It wouldn't be too hard with a little ingenuity.

We just had a tent revival - good stuff. ;)

DLB

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back