Purses Cut (1 Viewer)

JB3

Nitro Member
Surprised nobody else has commented on this yet ... looks like NASCAR is preparing for a poorer revenue year in 2010. Interesting ...

NASCAR cutting race purses by about 10 percent - - NASCAR - Sporting News

Summary:
  • NASCAR is decreasing payouts in team race winnings by approx. 10%.
  • ISC officials expect TV money will increase by about 2.5% this year but ticket revenues and other related revenues are expected to drop 4-9 %.
If the almighty NASCAR is expecting a continued economic downward turn for their sport, what does that mean for Drag Racing?

I did read somewhere late last year where economists more closely connected to the sports world were predicting that economic effects on sports / entertainment would lag the rest of the economy by 1 year or so. I know the MLB is truly worried about the 2010 season and so is the NFL. Obviously, motorsports hasn't felt the brunt yet either.

Means nothing to the NHRA payout. NHRA can't afford to cut purses with the current situation the sport has found itself in. Cutting the purse would mean more parked cars.

here's a list of panelists, presenters and moderators who will speak at
this years IMG's world congress of sports.

9th Annual IMG World Congress of Sports

- see anyone from motorsports listed?
- sometimes someone will complain because a wnba game pre-empted start of
sunday nhra programming; the WNBA president is on that list.
- thought NASCAR was 2nd popular american sport? behind NFL.....apparently
not anymore - any organization pulling #2 would surely be represented
on this list?

Last edited:
I thought the way NASCAR did it was shady ... it forces the teams to get less money via the reduced purse structure. NASCAR could have cut their sanctioning fee by 10%, saving the tracks and teams money. The timing of the announcement is equally as shady as all teams budgets are finalized, now they are going to get 10% less when they show up in a week to race.

What it means for NHRA teams/racing is absolutely nothing. NHRA purses are a joke anyway, no touring Pro teams are relying on that money to help their teams go. Cut the nitro winner's purse by 10% and that's only 5K ... that won't stop anyone from racing. Cut the guy who finishes 43rd (last) at a NASCAR race by 10% and he will lose more money than that, and it will mean 10s of thousands per race to the guys running up front and more than 100K per race to the winner, over 300K at Daytona or Indy for the winners. OUCH.

Here is an even more depressing way to look at it ... cutting the purse structure by 10% at the Daytona 500 would be more than enough money to fund the end of year Full Throttle Championship for NHRA. That's right, cutting the purse structure of 1 NASCAR race could fund the entire NHRA Championship. SIGH.

I thought the way NASCAR did it was shady ... it forces the teams to get less money via the reduced purse structure. NASCAR could have cut their sanctioning fee by 10%, saving the tracks and teams money. The timing of the announcement is equally as shady as all teams budgets are finalized, now they are going to get 10% less when they show up in a week to race.

What it means for NHRA teams/racing is absolutely nothing. NHRA purses are a joke anyway, no touring Pro teams are relying on that money to help their teams go. Cut the nitro winner's purse by 10% and that's only 5K ... that won't stop anyone from racing. Cut the guy who finishes 43rd (last) at a NASCAR race by 10% and he will lose more money than that, and it will mean 10s of thousands per race to the guys running up front and more than 100K per race to the winner, over 300K at Daytona or Indy for the winners. OUCH.

Here is an even more depressing way to look at it ... cutting the purse structure by 10% at the Daytona 500 would be more than enough money to fund the end of year Full Throttle Championship for NHRA. That's right, cutting the purse structure of 1 NASCAR race could fund the entire NHRA Championship. SIGH.
Big $$ Chris !! You're right, NHRA purses won't change ... I was actually more focused on the fact that NASCAR is anticipating up to a 9% decrease in revenue this season. My thought was that this can't be just NASCAR specific. Will NHRA see a similar decrease in revenue (or worse). The megalopolis venues will be OK as the pool is deeper for fan support. But move out to the midwest, southeast and south where the economy has hit really hard, and I think they may be accurate in thier predictions. Like I said originally, all the major sports (stick & ball) feel 2010 will be their poorest revenue season since this mess started as the economic effects on sports and entertainment seem to always lag everything else.

Here I go again with my two cents. I could care less if NASCAR fell off the face of the earth. I am one of those fans that loves one motorsport, NHRA Drag Racing. Who cares about a guy who finishes 43rd. This is another reason why I love Drag Racing so much, You either win....OR YOU LOSE!!!:D

Watching Nascar race hub on tv last nite, the way it sounded was they are cuting the purse 10%-BUT-they are charging the tracks less to host a race-and the savings are supposed to be passed down to the fan by way of cheaper ticket prices.

here's a list of panelists, presenters and moderators who will speak at
this years IMG's world congress of sports.

9th Annual IMG World Congress of Sports

- see anyone from motorsports listed?
- sometimes someone will complain because a wnba game pre-empted start of
sunday nhra programming; the WNBA president is on that list.
- thought NASCAR was 2nd popular american sport? behind NFL.....apparently
not anymore - any organization pulling #2 would surely be represented
on this list?

The WNBA? It must not be in terms of popularity--the tv poker playing would draw more viewers.

Surprised nobody else has commented on this yet ... looks like NASCAR is preparing for a poorer revenue year in 2010. Interesting ...

NASCAR cutting race purses by about 10 percent - - NASCAR - Sporting News

Summary:
  • NASCAR is decreasing payouts in team race winnings by approx. 10%.
  • ISC officials expect TV money will increase by about 2.5% this year but ticket revenues and other related revenues are expected to drop 4-9 %.
If the almighty NASCAR is expecting a continued economic downward turn for their sport, what does that mean for Drag Racing?

I did read somewhere late last year where economists more closely connected to the sports world were predicting that economic effects on sports / entertainment would lag the rest of the economy by 1 year or so. I know the MLB is truly worried about the 2010 season and so is the NFL. Obviously, motorsports hasn't felt the brunt yet either.

Maybe because nobody here gives a dam about NASCAR! :p
As far as I'm concerned NASCAR was over paid and NHRA was under paid anyway!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back