Pro Stock Bike final (1 Viewer)

She beat both Harleys to get to the final.....which is why I feel cheated that we didn't see an actual RACE for the Wally.......

I would have rather seen her have a bye run in the final, with Matt keeping his "hurt" bike back at the trailer....

Cut Angie some slack. This isn't her first rodeo. Before she was with Matt, she ran "no bar" nitrous outlaw bikes and won championships Running over 190 on a bike is not new to her. Other racers would jockey their qualifying positions so they wouldn't get Angie first round.

http://www.dragbike.com/features/angiemcbride/

I don't think anyone is really questioning her ability as a rider, just the circumstances around the way the win came about.

Matt Smith working on his throttle stop.
Matt Smith resized.jpg

Attachments

• Matt Smith resized.jpg
    Matt Smith resized.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 14
Personally id TRUST Matt Smith more then JFR or DSR any day of the week! NOT the first time a rocker broke on him this year!
Look at the re-runshe was ON the throttle when it slowed........

Drag racing it business and entertainment, business first. Whatever gets the most INK! i.e. $ Remember Larry Minor and Gary Beck? And that's before the mega teams.

Leaving the "wounded" bike in the trailer? It didn't work out too well quite a few years ago when Angelle sat out the final for teammate John Myers! Remember that? No one was happy when that happened.

Definitely a typical Mater thread here. Will never get anyone on here to admit it, but I'm willing to bet that 90% of the men in the the stands that day would have done the same thing if they were out there racing their wife for her first Wally. As Paul said, it's NHRA that forces the "Roll Play".

Larry Minor had no issue with it back at the 1983 Cajun Nationals trying to let Gary Beck get by for the win.

My wife is recovering from a broken foot. As soon as she can, we are having a two out of three match race. Her CTS-V vs My Grandsport Vette. She has been talking smack, so I told her to get a lane.

My point is, if I let her win, she would be very upset with me. If I beat her, it won't bother her a bit. If she beats me, she will know she earned it. Pluse she will be able to keep smack talking :)

Totally different, some race a lifetime and never make it to an NHRA final.............. she may never get to another one again. I mean, it all takes big $$$, and it's not like she has Harley money being thrown her way.

i dont think Matt did right by his wife. what a hollow victory. how can you celebrate, with complete joy , something that was not won fair and square???? angie had a great day up to the final .no doubt about it. but then she had a 238 light and from the looks of it Matt decided for whatever reason that he wanted to let her win. if i win my first wally i want to feel like i won it not that it was given to me. just my opinion. i know other here disagree.

My wife is recovering from a broken foot. As soon as she can, we are having a two out of three match race. Her CTS-V vs My Grandsport Vette. She has been talking smack, so I told her to get a lane.

My point is, if I let her win, she would be very upset with me. If I beat her, it won't bother her a bit. If she beats me, she will know she earned it. Pluse she will be able to keep smack talking :)

I agree, I too have raced my wife. Both before and after we married. NO TEAM ORDERS, if she had the quicker car she won, if I had the quicker
car I won. But we were doing it for fun. With Angie and hubby, it's a buisness. If I recall she has a new, non automotive, sponsor. Once she made
it to the final, it would have been a terrible waste to not have her win.

Like others have said, I just wish NHRA would let teams "pass" and stay in the pit. There by not insulting the die-hard fan.

(ps) Jay let us know who wins please.

I'd think that Matt would be sleeping on the couch if she found out afterwards had he thrown the race, besides what man wants to live with a woman who's pissed off at him regardless (any woman could put a good hurting on a man if she wants to, like a kick to the family jewels).

Definitely a typical Mater thread here. Will never get anyone on here to admit it, but I'm willing to bet that 90% of the men in the the stands that day would have done the same thing if they were out there racing their wife for her first Wally. As Paul said, it's NHRA that forces the "Roll Play".

Larry Minor had no issue with it back at the 1983 Cajun Nationals trying to let Gary Beck get by for the win.

Hell, I'll admit it. I would've absolutely done the same thing. In the position they were in with Kandy being new to the dance, it was a no-brainer.

The issue people have with this versus the issues that were had when Angelle no-showed are two completely different things. People were pissed at Angelle because they didn't get to see a race. The main issue I've seen with this latest deal is the denial. For me personally, I'm a fan of MSR. And while I totally support the decision, but I would've much rather have the team/Matt call it what it was. But from the standpoint of the masses, the stories of parts failure flies very easily. Face it folks, the knowledgeable drag racing fans are greatly outnumbered by those who follow the sport casually. You have to frequent message boards like this one, the Bullet and others to find the folks that have a thorough understanding of how it all works. When you consider that, their story is accepted as fact by the majority of the fans, which is probably more important in the grand scheme of things.

Either way, the fact that both bikes were able to make their way to the final was awesome!

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back