Pretty neat crash compilation on Youtube! (1 Viewer)

Topeka. The event got rained out, then they went back, and it rained again, and finished at 2:00 am or something like that.

Jimmy Nix blew over right off the starting line in Houston 1990 and Pomona Winternats, that's the one that caught fire and slid into the sand trap.

isn't Jimmy Nix the only top fuel driver to have (2) Blow-overs??? I was at pomona when he had his there..I was sitting at 1000' and visually saw the front Kanard wing change it's angle of attack and I said..."HERE WE GO". It was one of the more devistating blowovers, worse than Eddie Hill's at the same track, and about the same location, and in the same lane!

BTW...That's the same lane I got my competition license in at Frank Hawley's class, and Yes, I thought about both Eddie Hill's and Jimmy Nix's blowover when I lined up the 1st time! Not that a blowover is possible in a super comp car.....:rolleyes:

After looking at this another 10 times, I have a few questions...

1) Who was the Funny car that went airborn @ 1:52 into the video and ran into either Force or T.Ped in the Castrol car..Look's like either Dallas or Houston..

2) Was that KC Spurlock that had the really big fire in Gainsville towards the end of the video???

...oh, and as far as the video production goes...YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH EUROPE..and "THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!"

Jim Epler also had an incident where he went airborn, that was at the fall race at Houston in 97, but I think Highly is the incident you are referring to where he ran into Force at the Motorplex in 97. KC Spurlock was actually doing TV for that race where Hofmann had his massive fire.

isn't Jimmy Nix the only top fuel driver to have (2) Blow-overs??? I was at pomona when he had his there..I was sitting at 1000' and visually saw the front Kanard wing change it's angle of attack and I said..."HERE WE GO". It was one of the more devistating blowovers, worse than Eddie Hill's at the same track, and about the same location, and in the same lane!

BTW...That's the same lane I got my competition license in at Frank Hawley's class, and Yes, I thought about both Eddie Hill's and Jimmy Nix's blowover when I lined up the 1st time! Not that a blowover is possible in a super comp car.....:rolleyes:
The crash that killed Jimmy Nix was caused by the front wing getting loose if my memory is right, I can't remember what track it was on but it was a terrible loss for drag racing. Anyone remember where this happened?
Motorplex? Houston?

The crash that killed Jimmy Nix was caused by the front wing getting loose if my memory is right, I can't remember what track it was on but it was a terrible loss for drag racing. Anyone remember where this happened?
Motorplex? Houston?

pretty sure it was Houston

Motorplex? Houston?

Jimmy Nix was killed at Dallas during a 4th of July show. His wing collapsed and his car went over the guardrail and hit the Scoreboard pole I was told.

Jimmy Nix was killed at Dallas during a 4th of July show. His wing collapsed and his car went over the guardrail and hit the Scoreboard pole I was told.

I thought the Jimmy Nix incident happened in May, because I remember learning about it, by seeing "in memory of Jimmy Nix" on the cars at E-Town that year.

Motorplex? Houston?

Hey Paul,

Jimmy Nix came up in one of my conversations the other night, I told my friend about the Nix deal. The car never went into a blow over, I can't remember exactly what happened, because I haven't looked at the pictures since probably the mid 90s, I'll try dig it up later it's a sequence of the crash, but yeah you probably know his car made a turn then over the rail and into the timing board pole. :(

Anyone notice the turn off worker just barely getting out of the way on the Al Hofmann fire?

Dakin's blowover is pretty rare video. It was a rainout race with only one showing on TV, and that like 2am in the morning on a Wednesday..

I thought the Jimmy Nix incident happened in May, because I remember learning about it, by seeing "in memory of Jimmy Nix" on the cars at E-Town that year.

Brian you may be right, it was one of the Night of Fire races Billy Meyer did. I thought it was 4th of July but I'm not sure.

Anybody Remember Jay Payne's Blowover in his Alky Dragster at Houston? I think it was around 89-90?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back