Spring Fling at Byron Dragway (1 Viewer)

MM

Nitro Member
I got to make my competition debut as a NFC driver yesterday afternoon at Byron Dragway. It was a great time and an unbelievable experience. On the first run, the car launched with the wheels in the air and they stayed there. I tried to pedal it once, but the front end just came right back up and the car went into some bad tire shake and I had to lift. After some adjustments to the wheelie bar, the second run went much better. The car went right down the middle of the lane and I clicked it a little early to a 6.35 at 218 mph. I can't thank Troy Martin enough for letting me drive his car and a special thanks to Anthony Bronge and his team for loaning us his spare fire bottles after we had a little mishap with our on an early check out run. Here are some videos from the event. The first two were shot by my mom and the third video is a compilation done by Eric Boyungs.

Chi-Town Hustler vs The Punisher at Byron Dragway #1 - YouTube

Chi-Town Hustler vs The Punisher at Byron Dragway #2 - YouTube

Byron AAFC May 6, 2012 - YouTube

And I would be remiss if I didn't send out a special thanks to Big Zappy and his lady Linda for coming 700 miles round trip from Michigan to see me run at this event. The weather forecast didn't look very encouraging for the weekend, but they made the long trek anyways and it was pretty awesome to have them there.

Last edited:
Mike; Looking good.
Man the last time I was at Byron was around end of 1980. It still looks the same.

:cool: That is cool as hell. Congratulations, man! What is the adrenaline rush like before, during, and after?

Love how the track official at 4:00 and 10:30 makes all the photogs on the wall crouch down. Wish they would do that at Bakersfield.

I feel like Ive seen the Punisher camaro out here on the West coast before, but it was gray.
The Down Under Thunder camaro reminds me of the McAttack camaro.

Folks Mike is not one to brag on himself, so I will. That last pass was a thing of beauty. Mike kept it right in the groove. I mean it was straight as a chalkline. The result was new personal bests of BOTH ET & MPH 6.35@218.

Congrats Mike. :cool::cool:

It was great to meet yer folks, and to see in person history made. The 3rd generation Minick in the famous CHI-TOWN HUSTLER.

Dude, that was awesome! You look like you've been doing it forever. Now come visit us on the left coast :D

Last edited:
I have to admit that I may be a little biased, but Mike did a great job and we are all very proud of him, he will only get better with seat time.

Paul and Linda it was great to meet you, thanks for driving all that way to watch Mike.

:cool: That is cool as hell. Congratulations, man! What is the adrenaline rush like before, during, and after?

Love how the track official at 4:00 and 10:30 makes all the photogs on the wall crouch down. Wish they would do that at Bakersfield.

I feel like Ive seen the Punisher camaro out here on the West coast before, but it was gray.
The Down Under Thunder camaro reminds me of the McAttack camaro.

Before the run is when I have all my nerves. You think about all the things you need to do, and that's when the butterflies are really big. That all goes away when the crew starts the motor. From that point you're just focused on getting the car to the finish line. After the run, you just get the feeling of, "Man that was freakin' awesome," especially if it's a nice smooth pass.

The Punisher camaro has never been out west before, but it did used to be gray. You have seen the Down Under Thunder car before, it is Brian Theil's old NFC. Thanks for the kind words everyone!

MM,

Great looking passes... not that it comes as a surprise...
When are we going to see a Gen-4 Minick in a flopper?:eek:

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back