Early David Rampy Photo (1 Viewer)

NONE

Nitro Member
David Rampy ran quite often at my home track, Brainerd Optimist Dragstrip, Ringgold, Georgia in the seventies and early eighties. Here's a photo of David's "High Times" Chevy II from the Labbous collection. Johnny Labbous traveled to many big bracket races with David Rampy and the late Don Young,(note the "Young Automotive" on the front fender). Don Young was killed at Bristol in 1985 in his shorty dragster. His best friend, David Rampy, was there and helped clean up the crash site. David went on racing that day because "Don would have wanted me to" he said. David won Super Rod class with his "High Times" Opel GT the same day and dedicated the win to his friend, Don Young.

This photo was taken at Brainerd Optimist Dragstrip by the late, great Marty Johnson, and Johnny Labbous allowed me to scan his collection.

I added a photo from the IHRA Drag Review of David's Opel. The next season he changed the name of his car to "Sky High". I heard he was getting some grief from IHRA about the "High Times" name.

Wayne.

RAMPY.jpg

RAMPY2.jpg

Last edited:
Cool stuff. Thanks Wayne and thanks again for the shots by Marty, of my car, back at Brainerd Optimist Dragstrip. :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back