President of the US Congratulates Erica on Win (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All entertainers should shy away from from politics. All this does is creat Animosity and Division between society . To me being a spectator is fine with me.

I agree - Some years ago, Laura Ingraham wrote a book, "Shut up and Sing".
Criminy, nobody goes to a concert, a drag race, or a basketball game and expects to get a lecture.
'Tho when you're on the "one side" it seems like it's the "other side" making all the noise.

If Obama had congratulated a drag racer on a win I would have been just as happy....political party isn't the story, it's the recognition the NHRA got from high up.
But, politics has infiltrated sports to a degree that endangers sports in general. When football comes back, ask yourself "do I want a lecture and a display of protest or just watch them play ball"?

ps- Is it ok to still like Dale Pulde even though he and Hamby co-opted the Native American artwork on their War Eagle? 🤔

I would love to see politics stay out of not just drag racing, but all forms of motorsports. Anyone who knows me, knows my love for drag racing and the NHRA. I hate seeing things with NHRA go down hill like it has been lately. It's just that one political party has been getting a lot of attention, at the track and now Nitromater.
Any time a racer (or any other public figure) publicly supports a candidate of either party they have alienated half their fans and sponsors. Doesn't make sense to me when your job is to attract fans and sponsors..

Any time a racer (or any other public figure) publicly supports a candidate of either party they have alienated half their fans and sponsors. Doesn't make sense to me when your job is to attract fans and sponsors..

I agree, but usually it po's me more if said famous person actively goes AGAINST a candidate. For example, if a music star supports the opposing candidate to mine I just say, oh well, his choice. But if he comes out in the news protesting the other guy, like when their music gets played at a political rally, or like the time Madonna said at a protest she "wanted to blow up the White House"...that's when I believe it alienates half of their audience. They use their fame to try and sway your vote. Bruce Springsteen supporting Obama...ok. But flying on Air Force One and Obama using that in the news, while Bruce says his music is off limits to public airing IF it's at a rally for the other side...you see what I'm trying to say. That music was put out for everyone to enjoy.

badchoices.pngobamabruce.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to see politics stay out of not just drag racing, but all forms of motorsports. Anyone who knows me, knows my love for drag racing and the NHRA. I hate seeing things with NHRA go down hill like it has been lately. It's just that one political party has been getting a lot of attention, at the track and now Nitromater.
So we should ignore it when the POTUS recgonizes a NHRA racer? Please......this is a big deal, I don't care what side of the fence you're on. Not sure a POTUS has ever done this before.

I think you'll notice that most people who support a political candidate openly in the world of motorsports tend to be their own sponsor ... they are out having fun with money they made. They are not trying to garner support from anyone, just voice their point of view. Most "famous people" (sorry I consider most motorsports people pretty normal) are generally trying to garner support with their appeals for political candidates. I can ignore it, but it does put off my wife to have politics and entertainment mixed.

Bo Butner has a NHRA rule named for him by the racers and it's not because he was too fast or too light....

John DiBartolomeo: " At the last Indy event, some of the hoopla centered around the Trump/Pence signage on the side of Bo Butner’s Pro Mod entry. All of which may have forced NHRA to reiterate their ruling on advertising signage. That may have backfired slightly with the increase in Trump/Pence and “Racers For Freedom” signs, decals, T-shirts and flags. It may have also had something to do with Donald Trump’s son Eric making an appearance at the track. I don’t know whether this is a Republican/Democrat thing rather than just racers fed up with the status quo government intervention we have today. "

Last edited:
I read the article on Drag Illustrated and it stated that Eric Trump was on the starting line. Had he been a sports or music star, NHRA would've been all over his presence, but to my knowledge it was never mentioned. I guess they are afraid of upsetting the opposing party supporters because his presence has been great publicity for the POTUS.

Jimi,

We did recognize him on the P.A. and I even did a short interview with him. I asked him to focus on the race aspect and to not make a political statement which he mostly did. Then he dropped in a MAGA at the end. NHRA does not take sides in political races, but Eric does carry a celebrity status and we welcomed him as we would any celebrity. If Hunter Biden were to come to an event, we would welcome him as well.

Alan

I'm not so sure about that, particularly when it comes to fans. Race fans are not a random cross section of society- I'm guessing that their allegiance leans pretty heavily towards one side of the political aisle, particularly in more "grass roots" forms of racing like NHRA. So by taking a particular political stance yes, you may be driving some percentage of the fan base away. However, you may also be creating a powerful positive draw for a larger proportion of the fans.

Jimi,

We did recognize him on the P.A. and I even did a short interview with him. I asked him to focus on the race aspect and to not make a political statement which he mostly did. Then he dropped in a MAGA at the end. NHRA does not take sides in political races, but Eric does carry a celebrity status and we welcomed him as we would any celebrity. If Hunter Biden were to come to an event, we would welcome him as well.

Alan
I'm sure he was recognized and welcomed as he should've been. What I'm saying is, to my to knowledge, he wasn't mentioned on TV so I didn't know he was there until I read it here.
And you're right about it doesn't matter if it was a Trump or a Biden, welcome them with open arms. It's great exposure for drag racing.

I would start worrying about nitro fumes and tire smoke and runoff from oildowns killing the Delta smelt if the green side gets power instead of the current administration, which operates a more measured, common sense attitude towards the environment. Drag racing is always looking over it’s shoulder at the forces that want to stop our sport...whether it’s housing, environment, quality of life issues like noise, traffic etc. I’m amazed our sport has lasted this long.....RIP E Town

Drag racing is always looking over it’s shoulder at the forces that want to stop our sport...whether it’s housing, environment, quality of life issues like noise, traffic etc. I’m amazed our sport has lasted this long.....RIP E Town

E-town did not close for any of those reasons. E-town closed because the owners got a good offer that would make more money with fewer hassles. They re-directed the rest of their operations to match what the market wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back