Pomona Weather (2 Viewers)

Most of you know you can stand behind the tower and toss a baseball into the back yard of classic 100+ year old beautiful homes in LaVerne. We are super blessed to be able to run there even twice a year. Pomona is dead nuts in the middle of Pomona/LaVerne/San Dimas. That being said, the screwy weather probably cost NHRA a pant load of money.

Most of you know you can stand behind the tower and toss a baseball into the back yard of classic 100+ year old beautiful homes in LaVerne. We are super blessed to be able to run there even twice a year. Pomona is dead nuts in the middle of Pomona/LaVerne/San Dimas. That being said, the screwy weather probably cost NHRA a pant load of money.
By getting one round of Q on Saturday they saved a lot of money!

As someone who has been to many holdover races at Maple Grove (I think the latest in the week was Wednesday one year?), I'm really not a fan of repurposing/relabeling races at the following race. Does this mean Phoenix Q1 will also be Winternationals finals, E2 will also be Gatornationals Mission TFTT finals, Q3 will also be Winternationals Mission TFTT semis, E4 will also be Winternationals Mission TFTT finals? Considering the teams already budgeted the runs that were missed, I'd rather if the finals racers made three passes Friday with one representing the Winternationals finals and the other two as part of normal qualifying.

As someone who has been to many holdover races at Maple Grove (I think the latest in the week was Wednesday one year?), I'm really not a fan of repurposing/relabeling races at the following race. Does this mean Phoenix Q1 will also be Winternationals finals, E2 will also be Gatornationals Mission TFTT finals, Q3 will also be Winternationals Mission TFTT semis, E4 will also be Winternationals Mission TFTT finals? Considering the teams already budgeted the runs that were missed, I'd rather if the finals racers made three passes Friday with one representing the Winternationals finals and the other two as part of normal qualifying.

I have a curious question about finishing the Pomona race in Phoenix. What if a Pomona finalist uses a different sponsor for Phoenix? I don't know if any of them are, but let's just say Prock made it to the final, hypothetically speaking, and he uses Cornwell Tools for Phoenix. Would he have to keep the AAA wrap on his car to finish the Pomona race, then put the Cornwell wrap on for Phoenix?

I think this is the answer.

I think the NHRA is still on the ragged edge financially since the lockdowns of 2020. We are lucky they didn't go bankrupt back then. You don't sell your long-time Coporate headquarters - that was long since paid for - unless the house is on fire financially. And look at how much they have cut back at Pomona: only one Sunoco vision screen instead of two; no NHRA member hospitality area anymore; no seating on the West side grandstands, etc.

By the way, I was there yesterday and I think they did a great job speeding up Eliminations in an effort to get the race in. The weather was actually quite good until the sprinkles started around 2:45pm. Then, we had our usual 3-24-24 hail and light snow about an hour later. I sure didn't see that coming during the Pomona "Springnationals" (3-21-24 first day of spring). And I thought the crowd was about an average Sunday Pomona crowd, especially considering the forecast.

As has been noted, this was one of the oddest Pomona races I can remember, as there were very few actual races in TF and FC. It didn't seem to be a lane issue, either. With most every pair, one car would get down the track with a good run, and one would have some kind of problem. I think the best race of the day may have been the first race of the day when Millican dumped Brown in a very close one.
You bring up some very valid points. They did cut loose their San Dimas headquarters, moved the majority to Indy. This was certainly brought on by the pandemic, and the failure of Coke to pay NHRA their damn money. My guess is that we will never know how much NHRA got from that settlement, but I bet it wasn’t a bankroll. Coke probably only paid the money they were due to pay. Camping World was obviously a stop gap, and let’s be glad they were there, otherwise, we wouldn’t be seeing NHRA today, at least as it was. We have mission foods on board now, good for us. My guess is that NHRA is not on the bleeding ragged edge, but it could go the other way given another emergency. Nice post Jon.

I have a curious question about finishing the Pomona race in Phoenix. What if a Pomona finalist uses a different sponsor for Phoenix? I don't know if any of them are, but let's just say Prock made it to the final, hypothetically speaking, and he uses Cornwell Tools for Phoenix. Would he have to keep the AAA wrap on his car to finish the Pomona race, then put the Cornwell wrap on for Phoenix?
It depends on what the contract says and what the sponsors allow, but I was at Bristol last year and seem to remember at least one car (forgot who) swapping bodies based on whether they were running the New England Nationals makeup or qualifying/racing for the Thunder Valley Nationals

It depends on what the contract says and what the sponsors allow, but I was at Bristol last year and seem to remember at least one car (forgot who) swapping bodies based on whether they were running the New England Nationals makeup or qualifying/racing for the Thunder Valley Nationals
Tasca

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back