Pomona Weather (1 Viewer)

I've seen 60 minutes between first TF and next TF; we all have. Puts a burden on the smaller teams but it's doable, barring a crash or an oildown. This race could have been wrapped up before 2pm....at least from what I'm looking at here.
Yep. Bobby Bode had to change motors after E-1 and due to the short turn around time limit they didn’t have time to do a warmup. Don’t know if that actually effected their performance, but I’m sure it didn’t help any. But If he could have duplicated is earlier numbers he would have put the old man on the trailer. Nothing against John, but it would have been pretty cool to see a youngster that I used to push around the pits in a stroller beating the legendary John Force. 😃 That being said, I think NHRA made the right decision to start an hour early and shorten the turnaround time to try and get the race completed. They just came up a little short.

Last edited:
That was a rough winternationals, let’s cut NHRA some slack. They really did the best they could, especially with the noise curfew and everything. I feel pretty bad for them about this weekend. The weather was fickle and absolutely miserable, fan turnout wasn’t spectacular, but quite a few diehards held out. We’re getting rain right now in Arizona, let’s hope that doesn’t happen two weeks from now at Firebird.

Yep. Bobby Bode had to change motors after E-1 and due to the short turn around time limit they didn’t have time to do a warmup. Don’t know if that actually affected their performance, but I’m sure it didn’t help any. But If he could have duplicated is earlier numbers he would have put the old man on the trailer. Nothing against John, but it would have been pretty cool to see a youngster that I used to push around the pits in a stroller beating the legendary John Force. 😃 That being said, I think NHRA made the right decision to start an hour early and shorten the turnaround time to try and get the race completed. They just came up a little short.
Clay Millican had the same thing happen…except he couldn’t make second round. Weird stuff going on with that car.

I don't understand why they are holding the finals at Phoenix. Next week is a bye week. I remember years ago at Reading, they kept the finalists at the track until the the race was finished. Ironically, John Force was one of the finalists for that race. Blame it on him.

My “guess” is that it is cheaper and simpler to use an existing future event where the track prep crew, facilities people, etc, are already booked in, and just work everybody harder, including the scheduling people, opposed to keeping everyone over an extra day. They’ll have to work to pair people up and mix eliminations into qualifying…which is what they’ll do at phoenix.

I don't understand why they are holding the finals at Phoenix. Next week is a bye week. I remember years ago at Reading, they kept the finalists at the track until the the race was finished. Ironically, John Force was one of the finalists for that race. Blame it on him.
Could it be that they are at Pomona instead of a permanent facility

I was thinking earlier in the weekend … since Pomona only races two weeks a year, it’s all temp staff pulled in from other NHRA sites or tracks? No perm employees?

I was thinking earlier in the weekend … since Pomona only races two weeks a year, it’s all temp staff pulled in from other NHRA sites or tracks? No perm employees?
Prob some dumb ass law in ca about race cars on a Monday morning lol

My “guess” is that it is cheaper and simpler to use an existing future event where the track prep crew, facilities people, etc, are already booked in, and just work everybody harder, including the scheduling people, opposed to keeping everyone over an extra day. They’ll have to work to pair people up and mix eliminations into qualifying…which is what they’ll do at phoenix.

I think this is the answer.

I think the NHRA is still on the ragged edge financially since the lockdowns of 2020. We are lucky they didn't go bankrupt back then. You don't sell your long-time Coporate headquarters - that was long since paid for - unless the house is on fire financially. And look at how much they have cut back at Pomona: only one Sunoco vision screen instead of two; no NHRA member hospitality area anymore; no seating on the West side grandstands, etc.

By the way, I was there yesterday and I think they did a great job speeding up Eliminations in an effort to get the race in. The weather was actually quite good until the sprinkles started around 2:45pm. Then, we had our usual 3-24-24 hail and light snow about an hour later. I sure didn't see that coming during the Pomona "Springnationals" (3-21-24 first day of spring). And I thought the crowd was about an average Sunday Pomona crowd, especially considering the forecast.

As has been noted, this was one of the oddest Pomona races I can remember, as there were very few actual races in TF and FC. It didn't seem to be a lane issue, either. With most every pair, one car would get down the track with a good run, and one would have some kind of problem. I think the best race of the day may have been the first race of the day when Millican dumped Brown in a very close one.

I think this is the answer.

I think the NHRA is still on the ragged edge financially since the lockdowns of 2020. We are lucky they didn't go bankrupt back then. You don't sell your long-time Coporate headquarters - that was long since paid for - unless the house is on fire financially. And look at how much they have cut back at Pomona: only one Sunoco vision screen instead of two; no NHRA member hospitality area anymore; no seating on the West side grandstands, etc.

By the way, I was there yesterday and I think they did a great job speeding up Eliminations in an effort to get the race in. The weather was actually quite good until the sprinkles started around 2:45pm. Then, we had our usual 3-24-24 hail and light snow about an hour later. I sure didn't see that coming during the Pomona "Springnationals" (3-21-24 first day of spring). And I thought the crowd was about an average Sunday Pomona crowd, especially considering the forecast.

As has been noted, this was one of the oddest Pomona races I can remember, as there were very few actual races in TF and FC. It didn't seem to be a lane issue, either. With most every pair, one car would get down the track with a good run, and one would have some kind of problem. I think the best race of the day may have been the first race of the day when Millican dumped Brown in a very close one.
How much money did nhra get from the coke lawsuit?

I believe Pomona is only allowed so many noise days a year.

Next weekend is the Easter Weekend. I am sure that all of the remaining Sportsmen racers and the Pro Teams would much rather be with their families!

what about the EV pass shown at end of broadcast.......fairly impressive i think. would like to see replay of that on utube, and incrementals.
maybe when they race them for real, they will have nitro sound piped in over the PA system ...... i would like to see them once, but then once would be enough. forever.

can anyone comment on the violent backfires lately? langdon and clay both at pomona. seems like they are happening fequently, and at
or around 1000', whether just before, or as in the case of some of them, it seems to happen as they step off the pedal? also seems like blowers used to pop,
and lift off manifold studs, but injector would be in tact ........ what are we seeing now? is the concussion so violent, the air is forced back thru blower and shreds injector?
what is primary cause of these incidents? is failure in valve train? is it an oiling problem first, then breakage second? are some of the internal parts being
pushed to their limits with today's air and fuel volume?
(edit: clays utube today mentions they experienced an oiling problem to top of engine in E1)

Last edited:
i guess this is the pomona thread? watching show last nite, and pedregon comments about prock starting to smoke the tires in his loss to capps.
what monitor is he looking at? it sure seemed obvious prock had holes out left side and was pushed left out of groove, then causing tire slippage.
there was another moment in show last nite too, where i thought, that's not what i saw, but i can't remember what it was.

Attachments

• IMG_8381.jpg
    IMG_8381.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8389.jpg
    IMG_8389.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
Yep. Bobby Bode had to change motors after E-1 and due to the short turn around time limit they didn’t have time to do a warmup. Don’t know if that actually effected their performance, but I’m sure it didn’t help any. But If he could have duplicated is earlier numbers he would have put the old man on the trailer. Nothing against John, but it would have been pretty cool to see a youngster that I used to push around the pits in a stroller beating the legendary John Force. 😃 That being said, I think NHRA made the right decision to start an hour early and shorten the turnaround time to try and get the race completed. They just came up a little short.
Would really like to see more of Bobby. He is one of the new generation that has a great attitude and ability to become a major player in f/c. I don't know whether their limited schedule is due to business obligations or money. If it's money someone like Joe Maynard could certainly help. They have already shown they have the ability to run the numbers and Bobby has the ability to drive with the best.

Would really like to see more of Bobby. He is one of the new generation that has a great attitude and ability to become a major player in f/c. I don't know whether their limited schedule is due to business obligations or money. If it's money someone like Joe Maynard could certainly help. They have already shown they have the ability to run the numbers and Bobby has the ability to drive with the best.
More money than anything I'm guessing. When Bobby finishes college they may try harder to be out more.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back