POLL: who wants pro mod as a pro class in the NHRA? (1 Viewer)

who wants pro mod as a pro class in the NHRA?

• Yes, for all 23 events!

Votes: 58 40.8%
  • Yes, but make it limited to select events like PSM.

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Get rid of the bikes and replace it with pro mod!

Votes: 18 12.7%
  • The NHRA has enough pro classes. Make it a sportsman class.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • No, keep it as it is right now - an exhibition.

Votes: 29 20.4%

• Total voters
I like PM a lot, having said that, I still don't think we need another Pro class. I think we need to find more money for the pro cars that we already have. Also, the basic premise of Pro Mod is pretty much gone, as most cars are now blown alcohol. Which poses the question: If you take an alcohol FC, put the driver off to the left, and slow it down, should that now be considered a Pro car?

Good point, the Alcohol folks are spending a lot of money to be treated like second class citizens.

S/F
D

Joe, I don't believe there's a correlation there anymore. Look at the fan interest in PM across the country and the number of successful PM-based events that are going on (especially the ADRL event that sold out The Rock last month). PM, in my opinion, has already far out-paced TAFC in popularity and if that leads to butts in seats and $$ in NHRA's pocket, you can bet they'll be a Pro class before TAFC.

The Popularity of the PM's doesn't matter in this case. Why would a 6.0-6.20 Blown alky catagory make a great Pro catagory, when we have sportsman cars that go 5.20's?

I don't think pro mod will ever be a pro class in the NHRA, but I would love to see alot more of them as a sportsman catagory.
And yes, bring back turbo's!!! I love the turbos.

Nothing against the TAFC guys, but I would rather watch Pro Mod any day of the week than TAFC. Put it this way, I would rather drive to Kennedale in two weeks and pay to watch the ADRL race there than go to Houston for free to see TAFC's race not even 30 minutes from my house. And I know yall all say they are the same, but they arent to me. Pro Mod's rock. I dont hate TAFC or even dislike them, there enjoyable but Pro Mod is on another level to me. Maybe because of the personalities and car names and such. I dont know.

First off, I really like pro mod cars. However, I don't think a pro class at NHRA national events is a good idea. It seems that the car count at E-town this year was way down. I like the idea of a separate series with nitrous cars running seperate from the blown cars. The 1/8 mile races down south seem to attract alot of fans and racers. But to give them a separate class at the national level (especially with NHRA making the rules - see TAD) I don't think would attract alot of interest from the racers. 1/8th mile outlaw races pay decent money and don't seem to tear up parts like they do on the 1/4 mile. You know NHRA won't pay enough to make cars travel far to events, and attracting big $$$ sponsors is tough enough for the pro teams out there now.

But I may be wrong.

By the way, IMHO, the best show at Reading was the PS Bikes. The PS cars were good too.

Now you tell me...how can you NOT think this is bitchin??!!

01.jpg

Or a '57..or Willy's. I think PM has lots to offer.

Okay, I'm gonna get heat for this:eek:

Pro Mod is what Funny Car was back in the 60's and That's why I like 'em... let 'em have NO2/alky and F/I, turbos and alky, blowers and alky, I don't care, blown doorslamers rock... and they 'look' right.

If it ain't blown, it ain't Pro :D

What's easier in NHRA's case, putting up the Points fund for a New Pro class. Or having a Sponsor spoon out $1 million for them as an exhibition? Before any of you go Jihad on me thinking I'm slamming the PM's I'm not. I enjoy the PM's as much as anyone, I just wish AMS would invite some new Blood. Seeing the same 24 cars at every AMS race get's old as Sheit!

Now you tell me...how can you NOT think this is bitchin??!!

01.jpg

Or a '57..or Willy's. I think PM has lots to offer.

I try to stay out of the "slow tafc" debates, but they are worlds apart, similar in powerplant only... If you compare Big Dog's ride in this pic to tafc, you got issues!!!!

Amen David!!

I'd love to see Pro Mod as an official NHRA Pro class...and while their at it, get rid of them damn pro stock bikes and bring in top fuel motorcycles.

I try to stay out of the "slow tafc" debates, but they are worlds apart, similar in powerplant only... If you compare Big Dog's ride in this pic to tafc, you got issues!!!!

Amen David!!
Amen to that.

Our trailer was parked around the 330 foot mark at Budd's Creek over the weekend. I got see quite a few Pro Mod and Pro Stock runs...it was very entertaining.

How 'bout this? A "Pro/Comp" tyoe eliminator featuring the winners of A/FD, TAFC, TAD, and Pro/Mod. The elapsed time differences could be compensated as in Comp. The TADS and A/FDs would run separately as wouldthe TAFCs and the Pro/Mods. Run the eliminators on Saturday. The winner from each would meet on Sunday as in Semi-Finals and the two winners meet for a Pro/Comp title at selected events. Televise them on the "Sportsman" shows.
We don't need another Pro eliminator squeezing the available dollars at National events. It may be time to set up another series anyway as the Alcohol classes are being contested at fewer venues. Without a plan, they will languish.
Here we go again: it's Willys not Willy's. Wiil-Iss not Willeez.
Heh,heh I love to stir things up.
Cheers,
Ed
I went to Mexico. I pressed "one" for English.

Ya got me there Ed. I always inadvertently do that..I guess cause my nickname is Willy..and I want one..which it would then be a Willy's..:D

One of my favorite racers here in Colorado, and a real decent guy, was named Willy. He has, as Shakespeare would say, "shuffled off the mortal coil." God rest his soul.
Would that all drag racing cars were "Willy's."
Cheers,
Ed
P.S. So what do you think of highlighting the alcohol (and A/FD) cars in an updated Pro/Comp format and featuring them in their own series? Mayhap, we could call it Pan-American and run a coupla' races in Canada or on a Caribbean island!

I'd love to see Pro Mod as a Pro class and at all 23 events! I can't understand why they're not already. :confused: Definitely some of the coolest cars to haul ass down the 1/4 mile. :cool:

the pro mods are entertaining...i stay in the stands to watch them and think the nostalgia bodies are a lot of the attraction. i would also like to see stock and super stock return to all meets, as i prefer to see racing the whole 1320 rather than throttle stop racing(as a fan). though i wouldn't miss the bikes...there are many who would. So, i guess if they can add them to the show without cutting anyone, it would be good.

I voted to keep them as an exhibition class. The NHRA obviously does not want them as a Pro class, or they already would be. My feeling is, they should go where they are wanted (IHRA and ADRL) and try to drive the sponsor dollars to IHRA/ADRL increase the purses and awareness of the class there.

I for one think that TAD and TAFC should be "Pro's" before the mods are....fastest classes should be considered Pro....

KB

NO

Now, I grew up in Funny Car country (northeast) so I am always partial to Alcohol Funny cars - they are my second favorite class behind Top Fuel.

I have to say, the Pro Mods have not excited me since the 1990's. There's always different people in it it seems. The fields at the NHRA event had a bunch of leakers trying for the E-Town field one year (2003 maybe?). It just doesn't get me excited at all.

I'd rather watch Pro Stock Motorcycle or Pro Stock, where the real "stars" are.

the pro mods are entertaining...i stay in the stands to watch them and think the nostalgia bodies are a lot of the attraction. i would also like to see stock and super stock return to all meets, as i prefer to see racing the whole 1320 rather than throttle stop racing(as a fan). though i wouldn't miss the bikes...there are many who would. So, i guess if they can add them to the show without cutting anyone, it would be good.

I like the Nostalgia body styles as well, but they seem to be dying out unless you run a '63 Vette!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back