Plea To Nhra Funny Car Teams (1 Viewer)

I'm going to be at the memorial service and the race Sunday and will be satisfied either way they do it. Personally, I think they will award points due to possible litigation and dangerous precedent. I will miss Eric as I miss Blaine and Darrell, none of whom can be disrespected by you,me, or the NHRA....they are dead and gone and there is a hole in the sport. My heartfelt prayers go out to all their families and to JFR,for doing what a grief stricken person or group has to do....step back and grieve. For them,tomorrow is another day.

If the NHRA waived FC points this weekend, they would be setting a dangerous precedent. Where would you draw the line? What would happen if a less well-known or less popular driver would pass away? Obviously this is an emotional situation, but it is up to the owners, drivers, crews, sponsors, and fans to honor, grieve, and remember Eric in their own way. My 100 year-old Grandmother passed away on Friday, the same day as Eric. I was a basket case while she was in the hospital and the hospice, but I was fine at the viewing and the funeral. The NHRA can't, won't, and shouldn't dictate the rememberance and grieving process of Eric. That's a personal choice. Remember when AJ came back to IRP to work on Jim Head's car after his best friend/brother/driver Blaine was killed? That was Alan's choice, just like it's the choice of JFR not to compete at Houston.

That's why I said it should come from the teams, not NHRA. That'd be like suggesting that the federal gov't should start a new program! LOL, keep them out of it!

Agreeing with what's already been said, yeah, it should have to be unanimous among all teams. Reminds me of a blown alcohol match race funny car show. They'd either run a 4.20 in the 1/8 index or, if EVERYONE agreed, they'd run heads up (and when I went to see them, they ran heads up).

Nitro cars were filling stands when they were going 180mph. It's not just the speed!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's all about the NITRO... cars could be slowed down to run 7 flat @ 200 or so... we could just scrap everything learned in the last forty years, go back to: 20 GPM pumps, 6/71 blowers, single mag, take away the down force, limit the cars to 10.5 tires, no timers...

But you can't close Pandora's Box once it's been opened. and racers race to be quicker and faster than the other guys and girls.... it's how we're wired...

Yeah, it's all about the NITRO... cars could be slowed down to run 7 flat @ 200 or so... we could just scrap everything learned in the last forty years, go back to: 20 GPM pumps, 6/71 blowers, single mag, take away the down force, limit the cars to 10.5 tires, no timers...

But you can't close Pandora's Box once it's been opened. and racers race to be quicker and faster than the other guys and girls.... it's how we're wired...
Thanks again Karl for stating the thoughts that I have been biting my tounge about... It would be easy to start yanking a pump, a mag, a few clutch discs, etc... We already have that, it is called nostalgia T/F and F/C... Where do you think the stars of yesteryear are?? Running NTF- come on out some time and see the show...

I would like to see the class go back to 100% nitro, any wing angle, any tire pressure you want, any size huffer, any size injector, etc, etc....TOP FUEL....king of the sport...
The past week was unfortunate but how many fatalities (one I think??) did NHRA have when they allowed 100% in the tank, whatever wing angle, and no rev limiter and a crewmember set tire psi..??

Why does everyone want to slow these cars down? Do you want to slow Super Comp down too? Some of those cars have 170+ mph trap speeds. I know some of you are thinking, "That's stupid, how does that ever compare?". Do you not think deaths can accure at those speeds as well? More deaths accure on streets than race tracks, should we slow those cars down too? What happened to Eric was a fluke thing. Pro drivers know the risks going in. They understand what can happen. Leave the cars alone performance wise. The fans come to see the next record run, so let the cars run. Besides, NHRA has tried to slow these cars down with fuel percent changes, rev limiters, ect. and these cars are still making record passes. Whatever you do to slow them down, they will figure out how to make it just as fast if not faster. Let them race, go watch, enjoy.

Registered member said:
“I was asked one thing about one thing and the next thing the guy wanted to know if the speed was a factor in Eric’s death. Eric only ran to half-track."

So much for everything goes wrong after half track.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back