Plea To Nhra Funny Car Teams (2 Viewers)

I'm sitting here kinda shakin my head wondering, why even run F/C or the race at all?? Why are these drivers going out there and putting their lives at risk this weekend then?? I am not at all insensitive to this issue at all... Read my past posts!! However running a race, just to run, makes no sense... of course the winner is going to dedicate the win and trophy and money to Eric and his family... But the point is the points... I think...

Last edited:
I too think it would be a nice gesture.

Let the Force team have some extra time to deal with all this, without being penalized for taking that time.

They can race for the trophy and the money this weekend, just not the points.

Maybe NHRA could have a drivers/owners meeting for the FC teams and take a vote. If the teams had an overwhelming majority in wanting to forfeit points, then I don't see any harm.

I think ideally though, Eric would want "the chase" to continue. Even though it would be with heavy hearts, I think everyone should dig down and consider what Eric would have wanted. I don't pretend to know Eric or what he would have wanted, but those who did should take that into consideration with regards to the points situation at Houston.

Just my .02

- maybe someone can make a black number 5 that all teams carry for the rest of the year... and / or sell the patches for head injury research...

i was thinkin' ice-cream decals, just a cone with a double scoop.
the story brandon bernstein told to nhra.com made me laugh.
just a thought.

Maybe NHRA could have a drivers/owners meeting for the FC teams and take a vote. If the teams had an overwhelming majority in wanting to forfeit points, then I don't see any harm.

I think ideally though, Eric would want "the chase" to continue. Even though it would be with heavy hearts, I think everyone should dig down and consider what Eric would have wanted. I don't pretend to know Eric or what he would have wanted, but those who did should take that into consideration with regards to the points situation at Houston.

Just my .02

Welcome Ginger!
Very well said.

I see both sides but am leaning towards........
I'm really torn!

The situation is a sad one but the show must go on. I agree w/ Ray....Points need to be awarded and the show must move forward to the next one.
If the same situation happened in the NFL would all the teams play the following Sunday and not claim any scores?

NHRA is one big family as long as you bring money to the dinner table....

There will be three memorial services at Houston, ample opportunity for all concerned to show their respect and say goodbye to Eric. There's no need to come up with some hokey time-out. As was the case when we lost Blaine and Darrell, the best way to honor Eric is for the race to go on and for the competitors to race as hard for the points as they would if all this was just a bad dream.

The legal ramifications of attempting to coerce the teams into foregoing the points would throw the entire championship into a legal snake pit - even if a team wanted to surrender their points, there's no provision in the rules for them to do so and if NHRA were to attempt to honor the gesture, the resulting legal hassle would tie the rest of the season up in uncertainty.

Just read the "record crowds" thread for another good reason this is a bad idea - thousands of fans have invested in tickets and travel and turning the event into a test session would make them unwilling participants in a meaningless event.

Last edited:
There will be three memorial services at Houston, ample opportunity for all concerned to show their respect and say goodbye to Eric. There's no need to come up with some hokey time-out. As was the case when we lost Blaine and Darrell, the best way to honor Eric is for the race to go on and for the competitors to race as hard for the points as they would if all this was just a bad dream.

The legal ramifications of attempting to coerce the teams into foregoing the points would throw the entire championship into a legal snake pit - even if a team wanted to surrender their points, there's no provision in the rules for them to do so and if NHRA were to attempt to honor the gesture, the resulting legal hassle would tie the rest of the season up in uncertainty.

Just read the "record crowds" thread for another good reason this is a bad idea - thousands of fans have invested in tickets and travel and turning the event into a test session would make them unwilling participants in a meaningless event.

Larry You make some very good points, & even though I'm a nobody bracket racer, I agree with you... By racing for points will NOT show any disrespect for Eric...

Having a race for no points in Pro classes has never been done, and as you said it could open a can of worms.... lets just have the memorial services you spoke of, say a prayer, and continue to do what most of us love... DRAG RACE!! Amen...

I think it would be a nice/classy gesture....but I don't think it would work. I know who ever wins the championship sure wouldn't want an asterisk...but there would always be the what if the JFR camp would of run Houston.

Last edited:
I can certainly see a problem to both sides here. At first I thought it silly not to count points to honor Eric. Then I figured it is NOT to honor Eric but to honor and respect JFR and families for all they have done for the sport. The way I read JFRs website, they are investigating and attempting to keep this tragedy from happening again to another racer, any racer, as well as Erics teammates. It is these things that will ultimately make it a safer sport. That said I understand the need to continue with the race schedule due to the enormous logistics involved. If my vote counted, I would vote for no FC points. Let em race for trophies and glory and a chance to honor Eric.

Just this morning Bobby Bennett and I discussed this very subject. I am all for this move. I feel very, very strongly that it's the correct thing to do for many reasons. We should race and forfeit all points. This would be a tremendous show of solidarity and unity in a time of crises for JFR and our beloved sport. I'm fairly certain if and when JFR finds the cause of this disaster we would all be happy to learn from his effort, so in turn we must be willing to show some sacrifice in the interest of fairness.

I floated this idea to Alan R, already this morning at the funeral and he said he would bring it up when the time came. Let's see how the Glendora group responds.

GD bless the Force and Medlen families. They are all wonderful people and
let's hope for some peace for them.

My 2 Cents..

Expect to Win,

Mike Ashley

great post mike, i totally agree, no points would be a great gesture for all involved! thanks you for posting and being such a great and caring competitor.

I thought about this, too. The only way it could be done would be through, and with the approval of, NHRA. There are ways for a racer to forego points (passing the scales and fuel, removing required decals, etc) but they would all lead to a full disqualification. To keep the event from becoming confrontational NHRA would have to automatically erase all event points.

I'm all for the cackle fest idea. Shades of OCIR's Manufacturer's Championship event.

No one would force anyone to do anything. I was asking for the Funny Car teams to pass on just ONE race. I know millions of dollars are being spent and I know a lot is at stake. I just felt it would be classy for the Funny Car teams just to pass on ONE race until JFR get back into racing.

You can't compare this to Blaine and Darrell. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The points didn't go with the team, it went with the driver.

As much as this is in tribute to Eric, it for the guys like Robert Hight and John Force to not be penalized for taking a race off to deal with grief and seeking answers that WILL one day save another driver's life.

It would not adversely affect a team to pass on the points and wouldn't tarnish the crown one bit if everyone voted UNANIMOUSLY. It would be a compassionate move.

Just this morning Bobby Bennett and I discussed this very subject. I am all for this move. I feel very, very strongly that it's the correct thing to do for many reasons. We should race and forfeit all points. This would be a tremendous show of solidarity and unity in a time of crises for JFR and our beloved sport. I'm fairly certain if and when JFR finds the cause of this disaster we would all be happy to learn from his effort, so in turn we must be willing to show some sacrifice in the interest of fairness.

I floated this idea to Alan R, already this morning at the funeral and he said he would bring it up when the time came. Let's see how the Glendora group responds.

GD bless the Force and Medlen families. They are all wonderful people and
let's hope for some peace for them.

My 2 Cents..

Expect to Win,

Mike Ashley

Exactly. It would go a long way in demonstrating to people that some things are still more important than "points", that how you win is still more important than whether you win.

Just my .02

I would see it as a gesture toward the rest of JFR for what they're going through more than I would as it being more for Eric. Since JFR is already not going to be there, Eric might appreciate the rest of the field not taking advantage of the situation and gaining points over JFR.

i don't agree...this wasn't done with Blaine and Darrell when they passed, so why do it now. to me it would be disrespectful to those 2 fallen heros.

That sounds more like you're giving "Because that's the way it's always been done." as a reason, and I've been fired from more than one job for challenging that one. Maybe nobody THOUGHT of it back then.

I have a sneaky suspicion..they'll be in the points chase even without this one..;)

You are correct, with the new points structure Robert and John will be in the chase. John will have a tougher time since he doesn't have a round win, but I am sure John will come back to his mid 90's form. Like Jerrod said, when others have passed the show went on as planned with points. In my opinion, changing prior precedent will show disrespect to our past fallen heroes. Anyway, please don't forget to keep Eric's family in your thoughts and prayers.

I'm not sure that there is a right answer here. I easily see both sides of this and am fine with either outcome. The championship is fake this year anyway so points really don't matter.

I am concerned though because I would imagine drivers/owners will feel pressured into going along with no points just so that they don't look like bad guys.

Personally I think the race should go on with the points. If its not disrespectful to race then its also ok to earn points from it.

I'm sure the teams and nhra will do something to honor Eric, I was just a kid but I remember when Lee Shepard(sp) died all the cars put a black line through their numbers and had the missing man formation during pre race parades.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back