Plea To Nhra Funny Car Teams (1 Viewer)

Bobby Bennett

Nitro Member
I'm nothing more than a magazine reporter who reports on the teams that race. I once was a fan, but now I have the greatest job in the world.

But...

It would be a class move from all the Funny Car teams to not claim any points in Houston. You still have an obligation to race for the fans and put on a show...but taking a pass on the points would be as classy of a move as the IHRA Top Sportsman drivers displayed during the 1985 season.

Don Young was leading the points standings when he was killed in the next to last race of the season. His fellow competitors joined together and decided to not claim any points. Young was the first champion to be crowned posthumously.

I know that Eric was not in the running for the title, but Robert Hight was. John Force could have been.

After all John has done for the sport, it's the least we can do for him.

Last edited:
It would be a classy move, and a nice tribute to Eric from the F/C teams in Houston not to claim points.

I can't believe I am saying this but................This may be the first time I can see something good come of the NEW POINTS SYSTEM
They will make the cut:)

I'm nothing more than a magazine reporter...

I know that Eric was not in the running for the title, but Robert Hight was. John Force could have been.

After all John has done for the sport, it's the least we can do for him.
You cannot be serious about any of this??
Why was Eric running??
With the countdown, Robert and John both have a chance, along with everyone else who has or will DNQ before the countdown... I'm not even sure that is even a thought for them right now!! WTF- Just give the Championship to JFR?? Maybe I am reading this all wrong Bobby... If I am, I apologize... However, time and the chase do not stop... Millions of Sponsorship Dollars and Thousands of employees burning the midnight oil to EARN the title of becoming the Powerade F/C Champion, will it be tainted now?? I do not understand...

That would be an awsome gesture if they would do it Bobby!!! What a great idea, I hope they do all show they're respect and do it. Can we all help get the ball rolling on such a thing??? It really would hurt nobody. Again great thought!!!!!

I say NO points for the FC in all do respect for JFR its only fair not to i hope NHRA looks at this real close and do not count the points. Thanks Evan.

You cannot be serious about any of this??
Why was Eric running??
With the countdown, Robert and John both have a chance, along with everyone else who has or will DNQ before the countdown... I'm not even sure that is even a thought for them right now!! WTF- Just give the Championship to JFR?? Maybe I am reading this all wrong Bobby... If I am, I apologize... However, time and the chase do not stop... Millions of Sponsorship Dollars and Thousands of employees burning the midnight oil to EARN the title of becoming the Powerade F/C Champion, will it be tainted now?? I do not understand...

You're reading it wrong Jr!

The sponsors will still get there air time, and if the other sponsors, and the teams employee's have any class they would stand behind the no points, since there wouldn't be no points the F/C champion won't be tainted.

i don't agree...this wasn't done with Blaine and Darrell when they passed, so why do it now. to me it would be disrespectful to those 2 fallen heros.

Just this morning Bobby Bennett and I discussed this very subject. I am all for this move. I feel very, very strongly that it's the correct thing to do for many reasons. We should race and forfeit all points. This would be a tremendous show of solidarity and unity in a time of crises for JFR and our beloved sport. I'm fairly certain if and when JFR finds the cause of this disaster we would all be happy to learn from his effort, so in turn we must be willing to show some sacrifice in the interest of fairness.

I floated this idea to Alan R, already this morning at the funeral and he said he would bring it up when the time came. Let's see how the Glendora group responds.

GD bless the Force and Medlen families. They are all wonderful people and
let's hope for some peace for them.

My 2 Cents..

Expect to Win,

Mike Ashley

I understand both view points. On Bobby's view they get testing in front of a packed house its a win for fans either way.

I like the idea and thought of it - but it doesn't have the same effect as the example that you outlined Bobby. In your example it allowed the champ to be crowned - it won't do anything for the memory of Eric except leave him in the same spot of the points standing for another week.

All the IHRA teams black striped their numbers last week in San Antonio and Brain Olsen did a good job of a "eulogy" and moment of remembrance - maybe someone can make a black number 5 that all teams carry for the rest of the year... and / or sell the patches for head injury research...

Maybe let the Eric's backup car take a single bye run on Sunday... idle down the track... there's lots of things that you can do to make a tribute - I'm not sure not awarding the points gets the results you're (we all are) looking for.

I like the thought though - something special should be done.

reserve the #1 qualifying spot for Eric then have the remaining racers qualify 2-17, so that no one gets a bye run.....my idea...like it, hate it...thats what i think should be done

I agree whole heartedly with the suggestion of not claiming any points for f/c at Houston. I have always felt that the NHRA is one big family, where everyone is willing to help each other when in need. I think this is what makes the NHRA so different. I read that the comment was made at one of the services for Eric that said something to the effect of "you mean these guys actually compete against each other"...referring to the outpouring of love from all of Eric's fellow racers. What better way to prove that the NHRA is indeed different, and one great big family.
Just my .02...............

Jerrod Felix: I don't agree...this wasn't done with Blaine and Darrell when they passed, so why do it now. to me it would be disrespectful to those 2 fallen heros.
Jerrod: I may be wrong, but I believe the idea of forgoing awarding any fc points this weekend is because the 3 remaining Force team cars won't be in competition, so they therefore won't be earning any points.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back