Plea To Nhra Funny Car Teams (1 Viewer)

If you were a past fallen hero, and people saw a way to improve things (think it's called "progress"), would you want them to refrain from it in your memory? I somehow don't think so. Refraining from progress in your memory seems more disrespectful of you, to me.

Something like this shouldn't come from NHRA whenever someone passes. If it came from the majority of teams, then I think NHRA should do it. I know I would take it as a helluva gesture from the teams.

Last edited:
Likewise, I'm ok with it either way...

However, I don't think doing it would in any way disrespect Blaine Johnson or Darrell Russell. As has been said, this would be more of a show of compassion for JFR rather than an Eric Medlin tribute. Thats the difference in this situation, the fact that 3 other funny car teams will be sitting out to gather themselves, which I have the utmost respect for. With no points gathered, no one would gain ground on those teams.

Different principle in my opinion, but again I respect & understand both sides of the debate.

I respectfully disagree with this honorable gesture....

What if driver "A", of team "X", loses his wife in an auto accident the Thursday before Vegas. Driver "A" pulls out and goes home. Drivers "B" and "C" also leave because "A" is like a brother to them. Now what? Nobody collects points again? A nice idea, but NHRA can't put themselves in that position everytime a driver/team has a personal crisis. As cold as it may be, the show goes on.

Does NOT collecting points make any FC driver safer THIS weekend?

Last edited:
Though its an honorable thing to do and I dont think in any way it disrespects Blaine and Darrell, I dont think its a good idea. With the way the pts system is now anyways I dont think it would matter. It hurts John more than anyone since he hasnt won a round yet but I bet he gets in the top 8 by Indy and no doubt Robert will be there. Let the guys race and get points I say. I understand everyone is racing with heavy hearts and all but I am just under "the show must go on" kinda deal. It definitely wont be the same without them there, but I will be there.

There are so many ways that the racing community can and will show their respect. I am torn on this points idea, although I certainly get the thought behind it. I think JFR is stepping back to regroup,analyize and make whatever modifications they see fit to their cars to make them safer. They decided to not attend this weekend's race knowing that points would be lost.....I am sure that the points were the least of the factors they considered when making this decision. I truely believe that John cares deeply for his teams and its members. And they are doing what they should do....What greater tribute to Eric can they do than take the time needed to heal and hopefully understand what happened so It won't happen again! I think Eric would want the racing to go on, and with the racing the points.....I think that JFR is making the classiest move they can make by not racing!

My personal opinion:

Sorry guys and gals, the funeral and memorial services are the appropriate places to express your organiized respect and grief for Eric, the race track is still the place for competition. Postponing the event would have been a bad idea and so is this one. Unless NHRA suspends Funny Car racing for safety reasons, the event must go on as scheduled and advertised.

Try "breach of contract" on for size - the event is scheduled and advertised as a points-paying event. One team's decision to sit this one out does not give a majority of the remaining teams the right to decide that none of the other teams should get points for the event, nor is there any provision in the rules for any participating team to waive their points or for NHRA to declare it a no-points event. Individual teams can choose not to participate if they wish, but those that do show up to race should get the advertised rewards for doing so.

I'm in the "race for points" camp on this one. Although I understand the sentiment and all, everything I've ever heard about Eric would indicate the last thing he'd want would be for his fellow competitors to (basically) not compete this weekend. Certainly attend the memorials, absolutely I think that all the pro teams should have black lines through their #'s, and I definitely love the idea of a FC cacklefest to honour his memory, but I also believe the best way to honour Eric would be to race hard for points!

I floated this idea to Alan R, already this morning at the funeral and he said he would bring it up when the time came. Let's see how the Glendora group responds.

GD bless the Force and Medlen families. They are all wonderful people and
let's hope for some peace for them.

My 2 Cents..

Expect to Win,

Mike Ashley

Mike,

Because you are a racer backing this idea, your opinion in this case is worth a lot more than two cents. And good for you for coming out with public support of this idea.

Not so much in favor of dropping the points, JFR WILL make the chase regardless of missing this weekend.................................However, I am definitely in favor of the Ice Cream Cones!
i was thinkin' ice-cream decals, just a cone with a double scoop.
the story brandon bernstein told to nhra.com made me laugh.
just a thought.

I wish to respectfully disagree with the "no points" option.
I am all for showing respect, being courteous, honoring Eric, and doing the right thing and I believe JFR is doing that on behalf of everybody.

However at the end of the day, when the "countdown" (NHRA's big points mistake) begins... People will have two sets of "points" in their brains. One will be the points totals as compiled by NHRA and the other will be the revised points totals based on the outcome of a non points race.

I do not believe a legacy of "should have been" will do anything to honor Eric Medlin or anyone else. I believe a non-points race will potentially call into question the validity of this seasons champions. I do not believe this is anything that Eric Medlin would have wanted although I am darn sure he would be very humbled and appreciative of the concept.

We all thought the world of Eric. That is undisputed. But, I believe that the statement posted earlier regarding the old adage "the show must go on" was correct. It was a wonderful gesture on Mr. Ashley's part to be willing to give up points and I applaud him for that. He's an example of the great people that make up the drag racing community.
I think the reason JFR is skipping this race is multi-faceted. They are grieving immensely, they're tired, they're in pain, they've not slept well since the accident, they only had one day to get everything to the track and to top it off they're still not sure what needs to be done about the cars. John is not going to put Ashley or Robert back in a car until he's sure that the cars are as safe as possible. He's doing the right thing.
There will be points given at Houston. Count on it. JFR would probably yell the loudest if they were not given.

I wish to respectfully disagree with the "no points" option.
I am all for showing respect, being courteous, honoring Eric, and doing the right thing and I believe JFR is doing that on behalf of everybody.

However at the end of the day, when the "countdown" (NHRA's big points mistake) begins... People will have two sets of "points" in their brains. One will be the points totals as compiled by NHRA and the other will be the revised points totals based on the outcome of a non points race.

I do not believe a legacy of "should have been" will do anything to honor Eric Medlin or anyone else. I believe a non-points race will potentially call into question the validity of this seasons champions. I do not believe this is anything that Eric Medlin would have wanted although I am darn sure he would be very humbled and appreciative of the concept.

Exactually. What if they still raced and say Capps won, but they didn't collect points for the race, then at the end of the year Force wins the championship, but Capps would have won if there had been points in Houston? What kind of tantrums will be thrown then?

I like the idea and thought of it - but it doesn't have the same effect as the example that you outlined Bobby. In your example it allowed the champ to be crowned - it won't do anything for the memory of Eric except leave him in the same spot of the points standing for another week.

All the IHRA teams black striped their numbers last week in San Antonio and Brain Olsen did a good job of a "eulogy" and moment of remembrance - maybe someone can make a black number 5 that all teams carry for the rest of the year... and / or sell the patches for head injury research...

Maybe let the Eric's backup car take a single bye run on Sunday... idle down the track... there's lots of things that you can do to make a tribute - I'm not sure not awarding the points gets the results you're (we all are) looking for.

I like the thought though - something special should be done.

I really like the idea of letting the back-up car make a singel pass or idle down the track is awesome. What a great tribute this would be to Eric and his memory. I am not really sure where I stand on the whole passing on points thing, everybody makes great arguments here, but I do think that a visible tribute should be done, and I really like the back-up car idea.

I really like the idea of Eric's car ideling down the track (John Medlen driving?) there would not be a dry eye in the house I bet. Seeing as how the force teams will not not be there, I honestly don't see it happening though. As far as points go, I think they should race for points. Just my 2 cents.

Okay John,

What if the championship scenario falls the other way, Capps wins the title over Robert Hight, who will most likely lose the points lead after this weekend? Then the "what if" comes into play of what if Robert had competed this weekend? Does the championship then have asterisk? In the scenario, there are no real winners. This suggestion was just one of compassion (not charity) to a team that has given so much to the sport...nothing more or nothing less.

When you give in the spirit of compassion, you don't look back. It's like sportsmanship - you exhibit sportsmanship and if you don't win the round...you don't look back and say, "Hey, I should have hurried my burnout."

Bobby,
Did we just put Bernstein in the field??
Hell no, he had to fight, crawl, scratch and hi-jack his way back into making a show... Mr. 300 did not get a free pass... Niether should anyone else for any reason... This is hardball, wear a cup or don't play...

1/8 mile or 1,000 feet... :rolleyes:

Wow! What a hot potato of an issue this has become. The strange thing to me is, I feel strongly BOTH ways. I guess the bottom line is many of us "just fans" are on the fence on this one. Therefore, I'd like to think that the fans will agree however it's decided. Just everyone race safe. We'll still be watching, cheering, and probably crying. Stay safe. Normal, whatever it is, will return.

Bob

There have been some here that have compared what happened after the tragic loss of Blaine and Darrel and how the show went on and everyone raced as planned, points were awarded and trophys handed out. But to me there is somewhat of a difference. That being that the rest of the competitors showed up at the next race.

Force and his other teams elected not to race Houston and I agree with that decision. There is no way that all of those team members could be 100% focused on there jobs and they need the time away to deal with what has happened.

With that said, IMHO, the only way NHRA should even consider that points not be awarded is IF and ONLY IF, every AA/FC competitor agrees to waive and if the vote is 100% then it's no sweat off NHRA's ass. The fans don't give a rats ass about points. They came to see a race. Hell, NHRA had a non points race every year so what the difference.

Flame away if you want.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back