Plea To Nhra Funny Car Teams (2 Viewers)

Okay John,

What if the championship scenario falls the other way, Capps wins the title over Robert Hight, who will most likely lose the points lead after this weekend? Then the "what if" comes into play of what if Robert had competed this weekend? Does the championship then have asterisk? In the scenario, there are no real winners. This suggestion was just one of compassion (not charity) to a team that has given so much to the sport...nothing more or nothing less.

When you give in the spirit of compassion, you don't look back. It's like sportsmanship - you exhibit sportsmanship and if you don't win the round...you don't look back and say, "Hey, I should have hurried my burnout."

I agree with Force's teams not showing up so they can evaluate the cars and they need time to grieve. I don't agree points shouldn't be handed out. The other teams are choising to show up and race, the points should be handed out. Eric will be missed and I think some sort of tribute should be done and points should still be earned.

R.I.P. Eric, you will be missed.

I agree with Force's teams not showing up so they can evaluate the cars and they need time to grieve. I don't agree points shouldn't be handed out. The other teams are choising to show up and race, the points should be handed out. Eric will be missed and I think some sort of tribute should be done and points should still be earned.

R.I.P. Eric, you will be missed.

Well stated.. and I agree !!

Children.jpg

Honor Eric in the way you think he deserves, and the way HE would want it!

Sportsman racers only get to claim points for their best 3 out of the first 6 National events they run each year. So why not have the Pros claim points at their best 15 out of the first 17 National events(before the countdown)?

That way each driver has two races they don't claim points for and they don't have to run Houston as a no points race. The two "tossed" races can be different for each driver.

If the NHRA waived FC points this weekend, they would be setting a dangerous precedent. Where would you draw the line? What would happen if a less well-known or less popular driver would pass away? Obviously this is an emotional situation, but it is up to the owners, drivers, crews, sponsors, and fans to honor, grieve, and remember Eric in their own way. My 100 year-old Grandmother passed away on Friday, the same day as Eric. I was a basket case while she was in the hospital and the hospice, but I was fine at the viewing and the funeral. The NHRA can't, won't, and shouldn't dictate the rememberance and grieving process of Eric. That's a personal choice. Remember when AJ came back to IRP to work on Jim Head's car after his best friend/brother/driver Blaine was killed? That was Alan's choice, just like it's the choice of JFR not to compete at Houston.

That sounds more like you're giving "Because that's the way it's always been done." as a reason, . Maybe nobody THOUGHT of it back then.

Maybe nobody ever thought that one owner would field 4 competetive f/c teams, let alone how a tragic loss would affect them.

JFR decided to skip Houston. If f/c teams race this weekend for no points, it would be the ultimate tribute to JFR. Sharing their loss and keeping the playing field level.

But as awful as losing Eric is, it's no more tragic than how losing Blaine or Darrell was(looking ar my DR star on wall).

"The way it's always been done." The racing goes on, points are earned, champions crowned. But you never forget...

Reading the posts about paying respect to Eric reminds me of one of the classiest tributes ever. Kenny Bernstein giving his championship trophy to Alan Johnson in honor of Blaine.

Jezzzzzz People I will say it again, everybody is allready crowning champions it is only the 4th race of the season.

No one would force anyone to do anything. I was asking for the Funny Car teams to pass on just ONE race. I know millions of dollars are being spent and I know a lot is at stake. I just felt it would be classy for the Funny Car teams just to pass on ONE race until JFR get back into racing.

You can't compare this to Blaine and Darrell. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The points didn't go with the team, it went with the driver.

As much as this is in tribute to Eric, it for the guys like Robert Hight and John Force to not be penalized for taking a race off to deal with grief and seeking answers that WILL one day save another driver's life.

It would not adversely affect a team to pass on the points and wouldn't tarnish the crown one bit if everyone voted UNANIMOUSLY. It would be a compassionate move.

I think this is a great idea,couldn't have said it better myself.

Okay John,

What if the championship scenario falls the other way, Capps wins the title over Robert Hight, who will most likely lose the points lead after this weekend? Then the "what if" comes into play of what if Robert had competed this weekend? Does the championship then have asterisk? In the scenario, there are no real winners. This suggestion was just one of compassion (not charity) to a team that has given so much to the sport...nothing more or nothing less.

When you give in the spirit of compassion, you don't look back. It's like sportsmanship - you exhibit sportsmanship and if you don't win the round...you don't look back and say, "Hey, I should have hurried my burnout."

The "what if" doesn't really come into play if a car was not entered in competition. The "doubt" scenario occurs onky if a race happens but no points are awarded... We can conjecture all day but only if there is actual cometition does the validity of the system come under scrutiny. Regardless of who is favored, a race still must occur to have a winner. To have a race with no points is the scenario that is most damaging (potentially) the the credibility of the system.

I am all for honoring the fallen and for showing respect for competitors who elect not to compete. Bit a team electing to not compete and racers running for no points are two very different things. I thing that JFR has made the best choice. I think NHRA going forward with their event is the best choice. JFR and their sponsors will receive (hopefully) much attention at the event through their absense, honor Eric in the process, and demonstrate to the world that compassion, respect, and competition can co-exist in a way that is appropriate to the circumstance.

To me this is one of the wonderful qualities of our community and I think is really exemplifies the professionalism of the people involved in our sport.

I have no problem with all the different ways and concepts concepts to honor Eric, but I think the way that is happening is the best case scenario is a scene which we all prayed would not happen.

I 'm not getting this 'evaluating the cars' explanation. If there's something inherently wrong with the funny cars, none of them should be racing.

The JFR team decided not to race this weekend, and they know that means forgoing the points. Yet they made the decision anyway, which shows you how much this means to them. They are not ready to race again, so they aren't. Period. A totally honorable, understandable , point of view.

I don't think JFR would want others to give up the points. JFR will come roaring back and laugh at missing out on one race. It won't matter. They will still be there at the end.

The show must go on.

I 'm not getting this 'evaluating the cars' explanation. If there's something inherently wrong with the funny cars, none of them should be racing.

The JFR team decided not to race this weekend, and they know that means forgoing the points. Yet they made the decision anyway, which shows you how much this means to them. They are not ready to race again, so they aren't. Period. A totally honorable, understandable , point of view.

I don't think JFR would want others to give up the points. JFR will come roaring back and laugh at missing out on one race. It won't matter. They will still be there at the end.

The show must go on.

Hey Bob,

You are such an empathetic guy.

I liked the idea of the teams giving up the points for this race to honor JFR and John Medlen. I really didn't take it as a way of honoring Eric, as I would bet you he would agree with your position. JFR is doing what's best for them, and racing again so soon, especially 2 days after laying Eric to rest is kinda close in everyones mind.

But, if all the teams or most of the teams are in solidarity about giving up the points for Houston, I have no problem with that. It doesn't mean nobody will be trying and use it as a test session as Larry Sullivan and a few others suggested. It might though, since other than the money and a Wally, there would not be any championship implications. Things that start out sounding all well and good can sure get convoluted and twisted fast, huh?

We'll just have to see how this all plays out, but since it's race day, and NHRA probably would have to make an announcement before qualifying, it will have to be soon if at all.

Back to work now!!! Except for me, its back to vacation in South Florida.

Later...

reserve the #1 qualifying spot for Eric then have the remaining racers qualify 2-17, so that no one gets a bye run.....my idea...like it, hate it...thats what i think should be done

I'm with this guy. Have Eric qualified at #1, then let the rest go as normal starting at #2.

One last trip in the backup car would be cool, let John Medlen drive it. Do a big, smoky, sloppy burnout, and continue down the track, not going full tilt, but just driving it. Thats how I think they should do it.

I don't see this as a lack of empathy. I 'm saying JFR chose not to race despite the fact that they would lose points. That's a much more meaningful gesture on their part than everyone else making this a non-points paying event. And I 'm not working today either, BTW.

Just read the "record crowds" thread for another good reason this is a bad idea - thousands of fans have invested in tickets and travel and turning the event into a test session would make them unwilling participants in a meaningless event.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, Larry,

On the Sunday after Blaine died, Tony made a Solo pass, because he was Matched against Blaine.
This weekend, Eric's place in the first qualifying round was empty.

Eric would have said, " .... "
How the hell do I know what Eric would have said!:confused:

God bless him - and his Dad

David

David

unfortunatley this is not a good idea. racing is dangerous.
racing never stops when there is a tradgedy,even during eliminations.(darrel russell 2nd round gateway) blaine passed and indy went on. its awful. yet nhra still is fighting over russells death no admit of anything. tires are coming apart yet the ads keep coming 334..330 sunday...speed!!! they roled the dice and lost. nhra will never say what happened. i believe force will be the only reason we ever find the facts out cause he cares. nhra has no care for drivers they just want to brag about the numbers on the scoreboards too fill the seats

careful rick....that's dangerous territory saying NHRA doesnt care about drivers

unfortunately this is not a good idea. racing is dangerous.
racing never stops when there is a tragedy,even during eliminations.(Darrel Russell 2nd round gateway) Blaine passed and Indy went on. its awful. yet NHRA still is fighting over Russell's death no admit of anything. tires are coming apart yet the ads keep coming 334..330 sunday...speed!!! they roled the dice and lost. NHRA will never say what happened. i believe force will be the only reason we ever find the facts out cause he cares. NHRA has no care for drivers they just want to brag about the numbers on the scoreboards too fill the seats

So if you are saying making the cars safer.. why not just change the gear ratio from 3.20 to 3.70 that will slow them down.. also use a narrower tire.. they will have to use less clutch to prevent wheel spin and we'd be back to 270 mph... most of the danger would be eliminated..

Also lesson the down force.. and they will be forced to lower the power or spin the tires !... Common there are many ways so slow them down to 270 mph or less if it's what they want...

So if you are saying making the cars safer.. why not just change the gear ratio from 3.20 to 3.70 that will slow them down.. also use a narrower tire.. they will have to use less clutch to prevent wheel spin and we'd be back to 270 mph... most of the danger would be eliminated..

Also lesson the down force.. and they will be forced to lower the power or spin the tires !... Common there are many ways so slow them down to 270 mph or less if it's what they want...

They already have a class with those speeds and those speeds don't sell tickets. Look in the stands at a divisional.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back