Picture Quiz (1 Viewer)

shawn fleischmann

Nitro Member
Looking through some old pictures and saw this, shouldn't be too hard, but name the
Driver:
Event:
Year:

Gnv01-0371.jpg

I don't care if your right or wrong, thanks for posting!!
Will you run a/f in '08?
Lee
Nitroclovers

Santos at Pomona (winternationals). 2001 I'm thinking. Close??

ML

I remember Santo's trying to run Collector Headers at Pomona, but the kind I saw where the Over the Tire style like Super comp runs. That car was all over the track! Not running the Zoomie style headers has to cause a loss of Downforce even on a Alky car.

I'm thinkin this was framed..just like I was at the Speedway Childrens Charity Poker tourny when some kid named Morgan called my stone cold bluff and knocked me out!!! Triple 10's always beat 3 8's!!!:mad:I think Beckman gave him my tell....that or I was really LIT!!! :cool:

WHat up Morgan...Welcome to the SHOW!!!

Timmah
5636 s/c

One of the "complaints" Santos and crew had about the collector headers was that the engine was running out of fuel past 1000'. If memory serves the car ran within a couple hundreths of their quickest qualifying laps. I thought at the time, "fatten that thing up and keep trying." But, as history will show, they didn't. The downswept ones look killer. I recall the upswept design were kind of odd looking. Very short and the collector was almost non-existent.

Here's food for thought. With the exception of an A/F car, when was the last time you saw a naturally aspirated engine with zoomie headers? Rarely. Especially when the intake manifold has a shared or common plenum area. I experimented with them about a decade ago with my big inch alky motor and the car dropped almost 2 tenths and was terribly inconsistent. When an engine with a common plenum intake manifold doesn't have the advantage of the scavenge pulse coming from a collector header the only thing creating a vacuum in the intake is the downward stroke of the piston. The scavenge pulse speeds up the intake air velocity inside the runners making the fuel atomization process much more efficient (it also helps a carburetor maintain a steady pressure differential above and below the boosters). So the question is, why not give this idea a try on an injected nitro engine? I don't own one myself or else I'd do some testing. Morgan...have Javid weld up a set ;) and see what Ron can do with them.

In the very early 80's , sprint car teams were experimenting with zoomie headers, and dirt late model teams used them clear up into the early to mid 90's. Zoomies in the late model classes wer banned becuase of track promoters felt they were causing the surface to dry out.

Zoomies in the dirt track world were being used to kill off horsepower.

Here's a link to a pic from around 1982 of Sammy & Jeff Swindell.

Williams Grove Speedway Forums :: View topic - The Swindell brothers

Last edited:
Yeah...I forgot about those for a moment...probably because they use the individual runner injectors. Big difference in internal engine dynamics as compared to a common plenum intake.

Does anyone have good pics of Santos' SBC alky dragster?

THE MOUSE THAT ROARED!!!!One of my favorite cars ever. This is PRE PSI Supercharger, and the old paint job. They added some yellow to this car a few years later.....My "Uncle" Monte worked with George and Rick at a few races to learn as much as he could about SMALL BLOCKS. We (WBC RACING) ran a blown small block in TAD with a Powerglide, along with Joe Nowasinski (i can never spell his name right...) in the early to mid 80's....:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back