why does John Force's car smoke so much at the end of the 1/4? (1 Viewer)

It is just a marketing gimmick, Castrol pays the bills and they want the fans to see their oil.:)

The JFR team is making fun of the Ron Capps sponsor--smokless tabacco company--lol
I think it has to do with the way they set the cars up with respect to ring clearance etc?
less ring tension = less drag = more horse power.
this has been tried before. I recall at the finnals at Ontario Speedway several cars would really smoke until the pedal to metal thing.
Just my opnion

On a TFX block, the sleeves will go as much as 10 thou out of round when they get hot, you can't seal that... On my TFX, we get as much as 4 out of round. When the block is cold, we hone them to be as perfect as possible, but the aluminum will do what it wants when it gets warm.
Back to Force Cars-
The pistons rings get pinched and it causes oil blow-by and this is what causes the smoke. We call it death smoke. Not all of the cars do it, but when you see it, you know you ran out of pistons on that run! This is just how they run their cars. Each to his own... AS for what do they do with them, most are sold to fans.

One more reason,

When you buy them by the pallet load @ about 80 bucks a pop and sell them at 95+ apiece with an autograph, gee, there's a problem with melting all eight every pass?

Figures are a guess, but still

d'kid

Hellllloooooooo...........the ankle is getting an MRI tomorrow to see how bad the tear in the Achillies tendon is. The rest of the ligaments are still torn too. We will know more tomorrow. I still have to wear the "Franken-boot" for at least another week .

Best of luck with all that! Bet you were surprised to see me posting on a Force thread, huh?

I'm just curious, how much are those "Clocks" selling for the ones with the piston & rod and the clock in the big end of the Rod...

I have one, Rod, Piston / clock that Al Hofmann gave me back in the 90's last time I looked I think the chromed version was going for close to $100 at National events... and they were at NHRA silverneer (sp) stands & you didn't even know who's piston it was ?

040108008.jpg

040108001.jpg

that was probably a good pass:D

That Ashley autographed piston is sweet! I can't believe how far down that top ring groove is!

Folks,

Pistons, plugs, bearings and oil are just a cost of doing business on a Top Fuel car.

Nothing out of the ordinary here... :)

EDB

Welcome to "Southland Tales" Terry from the Platte...

May the FORCE be with you... hehehehehe

d'kid

Hi there Karl!!!! that's funny there! I don't care who ya are! Just part of a long drawn out ongoing friendly argument between Nebraska Terry and the lovely and talented (and also possessor of two really big brothers!) Suzie Q!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back