People we don't hear of anymore. (1 Viewer)

Della Woods? I ran across a photo on a facebook page I subscribe to. I think she still has the Dodge F/C they bought from Chuck Etchells?? It was possibly on display at the Detroit Autorama? Don't know how recent that pic was tho. They were good people. It's a shame they never got much going with that 90's era car though. Etchells ran a big number with it and I thought Della could capitalize on that. Hope she is well

One of my other favorites was Jim Epler. Saw him blow a car to tiny bits during qualifying at Sears Point in the '90's and a half hour later he was laughing and joking in the pits as if it were nothing. Remember, Epler was NOT a big-dollar racer and I'm sure grenading a car hurt, yet he still was nice as can be. Always wondered what he's up to these days.

I remember I think He had girls about the same age as the Force girls too. Steve Evans mentioned it once on TV, when John and Jim were squaring off on the track, the girls were playing together in the pits or something like that

Paul Longnecker?

I seem to remember him having a car painted back in the day and the painter (back when race cars were hand-lettered) spelled his name correctly on one side (Longenecker) and incorrectly on the other side (Longnecker). The story I read was that time was tight and it was actually raced that way for at least one race. I tried to find a pic but couldn't.

Dennis Baca had Denny's Carpets, if I remember correctly. Big business, made enough $ to run a fuel car. I think he called his car The Carpetbagger. His rear engined cars were black, had a sword on the cowl. Looked cool.

somewhere i have an old super stock magazine from the 70's when dennis won the us nats., there was a pic of a well endowed female with a halter top shirt
that said something like '#1 dennis baca fan' ......funny how certain photos are still in the old memory bank :oops:

there was a pic of a well endowed female with a halter top shirt
that said something like '#1 dennis baca fan' ......funny how certain photos are still in the old memory bank :oops:
I dare you to post that picture... :)

A friend of mine tells the story of racing Baca at Tulsa at the 64 car PRO meet (not sure about the name of the race- senior memory lapse is a bit@h.). Baca tells him he better strap in because he's (Baca) has a full load in and plans on winning. In fact Baca tells him he has 2 fire suits on just in case. Turns out to be a highly photographed race. It's his story and I'm not going to fill in the details but unless I'm confused about which round is which it resulted in one of the most famous photographs in drag racing history.

A friend of mine tells the story of racing Baca at Tulsa at the 64 car PRO meet (not sure about the name of the race- senior memory lapse is a bit@h.). Baca tells him he better strap in because he's (Baca) has a full load in and plans on winning. In fact Baca tells him he has 2 fire suits on just in case. Turns out to be a highly photographed race. It's his story and I'm not going to fill in the details but unless I'm confused about which round is which it resulted in one of the most famous photographs in drag racing history.

Is that the race where Baca's opponent blew the engine out of the dragster? Rear engine car, maybe the driver was Brown? Famous photograph, you can see the whole engine leaving the chassis. !

Is that the race where Baca's opponent blew the engine out of the dragster? Rear engine car, maybe the driver was Brown? Famous photograph, you can see the whole engine leaving the chassis. !

Yep! That was Brown in Bob Dumont's car. You should hear Brown tell the story which by the way was in Phil Burges column in Nat'l Dragster. We lost Dumont a few months back, one of the smartest men I ever met. Larry drove for me back in the 60s. Still have lunch with him and a bunch of other nitro/drag racers once a month. Some of those guys date back to the 57 & 58 US National's held in OKC and even before. The stories just keep coming.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back