Paul Page on Mike Dunn (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the link, Jackee. That was a good read and I hope it gives some people a little more insight as to what it takes to do a Drag Race broadcast. I talked with Paul about this a few years ago and I was amazed at what he told me. Very good read.

Dave

Mike Dunn will forget more about fuel racing than most people will ever know. He's been around it his entire life. The fact that he can communicate it like a "dumb driver" is what makes him so great. As good as he is on TV, I'd still love to see him back in a flopper. He was something. Just his burnouts told you he meant business.

Sweet read.

I don't have a problem with Paul..it's a tough gig.

Hope this will give the bashers an inside view of what it takes..and maybe give a little slack..or take his place because they can do better.

Mike Dunn ROCKS ! ...and as much as some of us like to whip-up on Paul he is really coming into his own ...awesome job by them both ! Now if ESPN would only try some fresh cam angles ( F/C roof cam plzzzzzzzzz ) I'll be in complete heaven on race days !

Yeah, Paul's a good guy in my book; although I too ragged on him early-on in the post-Marty days. He does have a wonderful voice, I'll grant him that. And since the Scott Kalitta tragedy, eveytime I hear the emotion in his voice when I watch those replays... that sound of his voice is something that's permanently etched in my mind, and he handled it as good as possible and spoke from the heart.

Now you all know what we are missing during the Month of May from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Paul Page

Great article! I had no idea those guys were sitting in the back of a production truck . Gives me a whole new perspective and respect for what they do.

we can "rag" on paul all day long, but it does take a professional to do what he does. having mike dunn,added into the mix, only makes paul a step about the rest. both are the consumate "professionals..bar none.

I have always had the utmost respect for Paul dating back his Indy 500 days. I mean, he had to be the "go-between" between Bobby Unser and Sam Posey. There have GOT to be some stories there!!!

As far as Mike...what's not to love?!?!? LOL

At Memphis one year, I was recruited to be on the headset to help coordinate between NHRA Monitor Control and the Diamond P truck. This was for a live TNN qualifying show. And it was an eye-opener, I'd NEVER done anything even close to this in my life!

Exciting, yes...but just as many anxious moments. Simple things like a team taking longer then normal to get started, back-up from a burnout, or getting off the track all play into TV's crush for time to present the best possible show for the public that is NOT at the event.

This included having to negotiate between the TV truck and NHRA Competition to keep cars running during a commercial break - contrary to the pre-production plan - because there was a pairing further back in the lanes that would make for better "story-line".

The most tense moment came while waiting on one Funny Car that threw both chutes and stopped short to be towed off the track. TV was anxious to get the next pair started before the next commercial...the on-air talent was having to fill air...competition determines that it is safe for the next pair to fire once the other car has been hooked up and was rolling.

The first cackle of the next pair breaks right as TV calls up and says they are going to commercial and to hold that pair. Obviously, when I relay the call to hold the pair it's too late and in the heat of the moment (everybody wanting to put on a good show both on-site and on-air) well...tempers get a little frayed.

In the end, it all worked out, it was a good show for those in the stands and watching on TV. But it was also a big eye-opener into just SOME of variables that come in to play to get a drag race on the air.

What a generous piece. Speaks to the character of both men. I think the mutual respect will gel into a continuously improving show.

I just wish Mike could get maybe a five year driving contract that in the end has him back at ESPN to stay until he feels its time to go.

A have your nitro cake and eat it too scenario for Mike, because, why not, the guy deserves another crack at doing what he loves! And being able to have a nice secure rewarding job waiting for when he retires from driving.

I would just really love to see Mike driving again, at least for a while.

-90% Jimmy

Note what Paul said about Mike's curiosity. My experience in life is that curiosity is the biggest key to success. If you are curious and halfway intelligent, then if someone can't explain to you how something works, you'll figure it out for yourself.

When Paul made that comment about Mike's curiosity, that explained a lot about why Mike is so good, and why he became so good at doing pro stock and pro stock motorcycle.

Thanks for the link and thanks to Paul Page for the great insights about Mike Dunn.

Wow, thanks a lot for posting the link, Jackee. That was well worth the time to read. Did anyone else read the rest of them? If you get a chance, go back and read about Parker, Teddy Mayer, and the X games. Read the one about Eddie Sachs. I went back and read some from the earlier months. I have to admit, my opinion has changed.:eek:

Wow, thanks a lot for posting the link, Jackee. That was well worth the time to read. Did anyone else read the rest of them? If you get a chance, go back and read about Parker, Teddy Mayer, and the X games. Read the one about Eddie Sachs. I went back and read some from the earlier months. I have to admit, my opinion has changed.:eek:

What a great story by Paul about Eddie Sachs! I was just a kid when my dad stopped Eddie for an autograph at Indy....I still have it to this day...can still see him signing it in my mind .

Evidently NHRA is paying Mike Dunn more for commentating than anyone will pay him to drive, I'm sure he's had plenty of offers. Mike was one of my favorite drivers. I remember him driving Joe Pisano's funny car, it was a beautiful thing.

Wayne.

Excellent read. Thanks Jackee.

It's quite obvious (to me) that Paul has a huge amount of repect and admiration for Mike. That's always come through to me in the broadcasts. Even though others on this forum may have missed that, I didn't.

I'm NOT one of the Paul bashers around here, and have always thought Paul Page does a fine job. Maybe this piece will explain to people why this job is NOT the easiest thing around to do. And also why perhaps some people on this board might realize that live broadcasts of eliminations aren't feasible for this sport.

Never thought they were, still don't.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back