No Whit in 2008 (1 Viewer)

I wish him well and hope that he returns

Well i have said NHRA is a closed fraternity, if you question the suits other than the Bermuda Triangle :rolleyes: on safety, growth of the sport, future talent, other issues, this is what will happen, Whit speaks his mind and you need that in the mix ( the media goes wild ) I met with a major Heavy Duty Truck parts company yesterday for 3 hours some of their questions were mind bogling and right on about the sport of NHRA drag racing and their visions, some examples media coverage, midway cost, brand loyality they had more interest in two other series that seemed to be more
friendly to new entry sponsors:confused: i think it comes down to West Coast vs South East, they discount the South in my views, we ain't all a bunch of snaggle tooth, tobacco chewing, moon shining red necks, well some are:D take a look we are becoming the automotive building captial of the country ! Wake Up

The South Shall Rise Again;)

Last edited:
That's a shame. But if he's content with it and a new baby on the way, I bet tons of parents would like to take that long to be with a new baby.

This sucks, the sport needs more people like Whit out there. Hopefully the sport will sort out the issues Whit talked about and we will get to see Whit behind the wheel of a FC again.

I highly doubt that Whit would want to drive for anything but a top team that was a legitimate contender for the championship so I doubt you will see him back anytime soon. Really it is too bad because drag racing needs more people out there like him. Maybe he will be able to reform his own team again if he wanted to go out and pursue a major sponsor. However, if he would rather sit back and enjoy life and see what comes along, then I wish him the best of luck and hope he is happy. Personally, while I enjoyed watching him take Hoffman's role as a thorn in Force's ass the last several years, I really became a fan of Whit's back when he built up a team from nothing, ran on virtually no budget, and raced purely for the love of the sport. Too bad you don't see many doing that anymore. Probably why I am such a fan of the IHRA, which is full of those guys.

Aaron, I think you are right. Baze has said that he didn't want just race, he wanted to compete for the championship.
Like the rest of you have said, I wish him the best with the family and where life goes. I do hope he makes it back to drag racing if that is his desire.

The fact that Bazemore checks the stock market tells me he invested his earnings and prepared himself well enough that he can take a sabbatical.

I think he is taking it at the right time with the HD acquisition, the current state of Drag Racing's sponsorship issues and safety concerns the wait and see approach is the best decision for him and his family.
I hope once the smoke clears on a lot of these major issues he comes back because he is good for the sport!

I think Dave Powers was a major butt head to do what he did to Baze. Guess he felt the outspoken Whit "didn't know his place" in his position as "hired help" for the Powers Organization? Simply for suggesting, in a manner of speaking, that he may not be working for Powers forever, as is pretty much the case for everybody out there, except for the Force Organization, as John’s operation values both loyalty and family.

I've heard of many potential sponsors, when introduced to the NHRA, leave with an abysmal first impression, and go back to the racer, who may have invested thousands of dollars in a lengthy courtship, only to be told “Thanks, but not thanks, we don’t do business that way.” This final answer is usually after the potential sponsor is told to abandon the racer that brought them to the party and instead throw their millions of sponsor dollars toward a favored racer of NHRA’s choice.

For Whit, I hope he enjoys his year off to tend his investments and family comfortably. Not to mention enjoying life in a magnificently beautiful part of the country! I think the most delicious outcome for Whit would be to line up a major corporate sponsor for 2009 that likes Whit’s candor, because the fans do, and Whit manages to poach Lee Beard on top of it all!

-85%

Best of luck Whit, the sport needs you, but I'm sure the time away will be very rewarding...................

Good luck Whit and work on a spectacular deal for 2009 I hope. Its gonna suck without him. Maybe for 2008 he could join Mike Dunn and get rid of Boring Paul Page.

You have to admire Whit for his dedication to the sport, his family and beliefs.
However, one has to wonder how many more jobs or chances to drive a top FC or TF car would be if he was not as outspoken as has been.
Talking from exp. as I have found out in my life. As my father aptley pointed out it's better with sugar than lemon.( I think I got that last part right).

However, if he would rather sit back and enjoy life and see what comes along, then I wish him the best of luck and hope he is happy. Personally, while I enjoyed watching him take Hoffman's role as a thorn in Force's ass the last several years, I really became a fan of Whit's back when he built up a team from nothing, ran on virtually no budget, and raced purely for the love of the sport.

Very much in agreement here.

However, as we've seen, all that could change. Who knows, a deal might come together all of a sudden. I hope that is true and he's back out there stirring it up.
Congratulations Whit on your new addition to the family! That's pretty great news! I hope she get's her looks from Mom :p
Update your blog too, mofo! :D

i don't buy it. whit was available before tj.
i'd like to see whit come back as owner/driver.....again.
big shoes to fill, but seems the best fit for him.
the man can drive, there is no doubt.
what an accomplishment his years with winston
and winning indy.

That's a Bummer about Whit. The show needs him there in the field along with the mix. I really enjoyed talking to him at Pomona a few times and he always had a hand shake welcome, you just had to have the balls to walk up to the man and start the conversation.

Hard core driver with no fear of grabbing the brake when need be.
Some may argue, but he is one of the best and it's a shame he's not in the seat of a Nitro Funny Car at this time. Just does'nt seem right.

Day Trading will get old after awhile and he'll be back. Hopefully with his own Car next time around.

If Tony made it happen, Whit can certainly do the same when he's ready.

Best wishes Whit!!!

No doubt about it, Whit is definitely a talented driver.

BUT, what is the REAL reason why team owners keep releasing this man from their team??? Is it the team owner or the sponsor who has the most say in this matter?

There is no doubt that he could easily be a world champion with the right car and crew chief.

You now have owners and hired drivers or drivers that bring money to the table. It's best to own, drive and manage it yourself rather than put your destiny in someone else's hands. At least if he owned the equipment he could be putting his own deal together but at the same time I guess a sponsor is just as influential as an owner. Too bad that the sport has come to this.

Clarification please?

Didn't Whit bring Matco Tools over to Powers team and wasn't Matco Tools quite happy with their association with Whit?

If so, what Powers did seems even more reprehensible than my characterization in my previous post!

All facts and truth would be appreciated, as I bring merely conjecture and opinion to this issue.

thanks, fellow nitro fans!

-85% jimmy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back