No Enclosed Cockpit For DSR In Pomona (1 Viewer)

Billy, the frozen chicken test is bunk because I don't know of any frozen chickens flying around at a national event, do you? The tests are different with a non frozen chicken...not sayin', just sayin'...In my 6 yrs on a TF Funny team, we NEVER hit anything with the car cept the wall or a cone. Never a bird. Not sayin it can't happen, but you could get hit by a bolt of lightning walking out your front door.

Remember this... no one ever expected a piece of FOAM from a fuel tank to come off and hit the shuttle either.. and we know how that turned out,,, NEVER say NEVER....

The reason they don't chunk (as much) during acceleration is because the tires are slipping and spinning while under acceleration. If you look at the tire of a fuel car during a super slo-mo launch, you'll see the tire spin 2-3 times before the car moves. This is because the tire is slipping and not fully bonded to the racetrack. When the driver lifts the tire stops slipping and this is the point when the tire is "stuck" hardest to the track surface, so this is when they are most in danger of chunking. We have had instances where tracks were so tight that we chunked the front tires.

Great explanation, thanks! I knew the rubber stuck to the track (saw crew run right out of their shoes before) but I didn't know it bonded that much!

I will ask the question again. Is the 25lbs that everybody is saying will be added on include the fire system and parts that will be required or am I just full of it?

Rick

I agree 100% with Billy's logic. (btw Billy - how's it going?)

The incidents with Darrel Russell, Felipe Massa and Dan Weldan were all completely different circumstances but in each case - somehow - something got into the cockpit and killed or injured a driver. It was only the grace of God at work when John Smith didn't have his face crushed by Scelzi's car at Brainard in 2001 although he did sustain injuries to his leg, arm and wrist. The Winston dragster did this "break in half thing" a few times that year - and as a result Gary went to driving a funny car.
Horrific drag racing crash – Gary Scelzi | GP Live | Watch Live Racing TV Online

I have always had the utmost respect for Brad Hadman and still do. But I confess I was pretty diappointed with his responce and his logic. His life would just be a lot less complicated right now if his now EX-customer DSR had not pursued this enclosed canopy venture. This "parts flying" type scenario could happen at any time >>> Reyes On Tour

Brad's arguement is pretty weak in my opinion. Sounds more like sour grapes to me.

Dale

Went an re-read the piece with Hadman... does make you wonder on sour grapes.. or .....worried he's gonna have to buy something from another Mfgr for his cars if a customer wants one?.... Why not develope his on version?... How many differnt versions are there of helment/head restraint systems?(yeah i know no one ever considered that a performance inhancement.. only a life prolonger.... and its not 100% )

Doing good Dale... missed being at the Birds this year.... miss racing...lol...

Billy;

I went to the Snowbirds - just got back. It was great as always.
Next year you autta come! Lots of fun. The Figure 8 races sat night had me laughing till my stomach ached!

Rick and his wife came down from Georgia. Mooch a ride next year - LOL!

Dale

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back