No Enclosed Cockpit For DSR In Pomona (1 Viewer)

NHRA- always on the leading edge of technology. "Go ahead and dump tons of money into R&D Mr. Shumacher. We'll get back to you in a year or so."

NHRA is pullin this crap again??

There ya go....first reaction is to b*i*t*c*h about it!

If you read the article, Don clearly said "We have to go through the proper channels with NHRA to get approval for the canopy, and NHRA wants to take a close look at it so we'll take it to Pomona where officials, Safety Safari and other drivers and owners can get a close look at it".

Doesn't sound like Don is worked up about it.

Last edited:
There ya go....first reaction is to b*i*t*c*h about it!

If you read the article, Don clearly said "We have to go through the proper channels with NHRA to get approval for the canopy, and NHRA wants to take a close look at it so we'll take it to Pomona where officials, Safety Safari and other drivers and owners can get a close look at it".

Doesn't sound like Don is worked up about it.

Understood but the NHRA has a long legacy of dragging their feet with issues such as this.

Don has made everything available to everyone. Anyone can get one of these. If it's a performance advantage, then everyone gets a performance advantage.

I hope it's approved quickly.

What I do not understand is there has been 3,4,5,6, or 7 different types of enclosures used in the past and as recently as a decade ago (without issue) with Garlits. Why would they not just say yes. It is very confusing for a person who has been around the sport for a long time. :confused::confused:

Yes NHRA has left the concept open and they likely will allow it, but it is a no brainer.

All that being said I do believe it will also improve performance aero wise.

Dean

Last edited:
Dean,

My thought is that after last year when they basically approved the shrouds at a glance, and then had to make an unpopular (with DSR and many here) decision when it was asked "How could you approve that without a little due diligence?" That this time they are going to take a close look before making the determination.

I also believe that it will be approved pretty quickly, but not before the homework (on NHRA's part) is done. And I applaud DSR for sharing it with the other teams I don't believe that safety stuff should be proprietary or be a secret.

As always, this is just my opinion, I am NOT speaking for the NHRA,

Alan

It probably won't get approved just because it will make the cars faster. NHRA doesn't want the cars to go faster they want to reduce the speed. So until they reduce the speed I don't see the enclosed cockpit getting approved any time soon. JMO

I would also be curious as to how many there are? If they were approved for Gainesville would all the DSR cars have them by then? Is DSR going to manufacture and sell them? Is Brendell? If I ordered two for my team how long before I could get them? Will they fit a Hadman car? I think there are still some questions to be answered. And I'm sure Don has the answers, but the questions need to be asked before they are approved.

My Opinion.

Alan

Alan knows the boats have had them for many years saving no telling how many lives !
Personally I think the Funnies need one too ! Watching those guys and girl's suc as much oxygen as they can before a run means the air quality and alertness factor is a critical mass !
I love racing and want to see every driver back next week ! That should be a priority number one !

And once NHRA figures out how to make a buck on them, S.F.I. will want to get a re-cert fee on them too!

NHRA- always on the leading edge of technology. "Go ahead and dump tons of money into R&D Mr. Shumacher. We'll get back to you in a year or so."

Nothing gets approved until Compton and Light get the alleged under table kick backs they are after. Remember the Kloeber Mono Wing?

NHRA is being wise in giving all the other teams a chance to see the car in Pomona and address any issues anyone might have. Although the final decision is theirs they would like to avoid all the drama when someone cries foul. They could rule that it could go in use as soon as any team wanting one could be supplied or they could insist on more testing. It would be better all around if NHRA would lead this type of initiative. Maybe they should devote a portion of every race gate to safety R&D instead of being the bad guy. There are plenty of guys around who love the sport enough to participate and they don't need to be from a current team.

Let's see, this canopy is safer and will probably make Top Fuel run even faster/quicker, whatever happened to the "we gotta slow down the nitro cars" initiative?

1/8 mile next?

Couple of things, to my knowledge the Mono-strut was never presented to NHRA for approval. It was built and tested and it DIDN'T WORK! I was there when they tested it at Gainesville. Just ask Hot Rod Fuller (who was driving the car in testing) what he thought of it. It was simply an experiment that failed. And how this becomes NHRA's fault is beyond my comprehesion.

Second: Darr, if it is 25 lbs. heavier I can't see it making the cars quicker and faster. Unless it has aerodynamic benefits that out weigh the 25 lbs. And if it does, don't you think NHRA should figure that out before they decide to approve or reject it?

Alan

Isn't that why all the past canopies and aero tricks came off, the gains did not counteract the added weight, not only that but the cars back then were lightweights compared to the cars of today.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back