Canopy Question (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
I am happy to see that Antron Brown was not injured in his crash at the Winternationals.
One of the things I saw in rerunning his motor explosion over and over was the fire in the cockpit. Antron mentioned in his interview that he was starting to breath smoke so he turned on his air bottle - good thing he had one and was able to turn it on. He also mentioned some minor burns on his legs.
I was under the impression that during the long approval process for the canopy one of the things that was said by DSR was that the enclosed cockpit would have a positive airflow thereby keeping fire out of the car and that it was also a sealed pod. I thought this was a major item in the approval of the canopy system. Obviously, this didn't work. Antron mentioned he had to reach over to turn on a valve to get the fresh air from his air bottle.
Now that the enclosed cockpit has gone through its trial by fire maybe a minor change in the rules should be done. If Antron had been knocked out he would not have been able to turn on the air bottle. The rules state that whether the air is turn on or off during the run is up to the team. Maybe it should be required to be turned on before the run so the driver does not have to do anything to assure good air in case of an accident. Also, the amount of fire in the cockpit concerns me. I thought the cockpit was a sealed pod, like the drag boats use, so fire could not come in.
I am not criticizing the canopy system but after it has now been involved in a bad crash, and seems to have worked OK maybe there are things that can be done to make the system even safer.
JUST WONDERING!!!

Last edited:
It sure looked like there was fire in the compartment from I think his name is Mark R's pictures but did the in car camera show any I didn't think I saw any. The air probably should be on from the start and be enough to last who knows how long maybe a couple of minutes. I bet the canopy will get a review now, glad Antron got out. Did Antron say anything about fire, he was going backwards and I was thinking that was why he was getting fumes in the car

I noticed was.
1. The driver popped the latch from inside?
I assume that there is another option to open the hatch. If the driver is unconscious he can't open the hatch, how is it then opened?

If you look at Mark Rebalis(sp?) photo sequence on his website the second picture in the sequence that has flames certainly appears like they had a flash of flame in the cockpit. The other photos appear(to me anyway) that the flames are surrounding the exterior of the cockpit. And I thought the burns Anton spoke of where brush burns he received by being jostled around in the cockpit?

The only fire in with him was a quick flash right when the thing exploded, just a fraction of a second. With a concussion that bad, who knows what could have happned to let that in. Watch the video from the front, it's just a quick flash, and it does not return.

Also, I don't think there was any wording from DSR that this would be a 100%enclosed sealed capsule. In fact, NHRA mandated they have a kick panel (the size of the hole in FC side windows approx) to put a hose inside the cockpit if there was a problem with fire and they could not get the driver out due to the car being on it's side, or upside down.

Shelly Anderson had a pretty similar crash at Sears Point in 1998. Lost an engine/ tire in the lights, hit the wall, had a fire, spun around, and then slid down the shut down area backwards on fire. She had to have skin grafts becasue she was burnt so bad from having fire enter the cockpit the entire time she was sliding down through there.

Last edited:
In the TV replay, you can hear a Safety Safari member yell several times "What do you need?" to the other member kneeling next to the closed canopy staring at it like he didn't know how to open it. Then you see him struggle a little to get it to pop (backwards) open. It took a little longer than I would have liked. But hey, TV loves suspense.....

To answer you Questions about the Canopy. I work for Aerodine Composites which makes the Canopy. We have reviewed alot of info over the last few day since the crash. It is still not 100% if there was fire inside the Canopy. I have seen all the pictures and video and one theing we are certain Antron did not get burned. The burns he was refering to was two Brush burns on the outside of his knees simular to a floor or rug burn most likey caused from legs rubbing inside of the cock pit during the crash.
The Canopy is not 100% air tight and was never claimed to be. If there was a Flash fire it entered thru small gaps in the frame ect. Not bad for a exposion of that size.
One thing that we know help is that if this was a typical T/F body on a crash like Antrons there is a good chance the cowl and side panels would of come of like the rest of the body with would expose the driver or all the fire that Antron saw as he was sliding backwards down the track and most likey resulted in major burns.

To answer you question about Canopy release features there are 4 ways
1. Inside cockpit ( which is the way Antron used )
2. Putside the cockpit ( a seperate cable designed if the inside cable fails or the driver is unable to release on his own)
3. The removal of 8 marked Bolts with reflective decals for night races which will remove the entire lid.
4. The removal of 8 marked bolts which will remove the entire Canopy

As far as the breathing air system it is encouraged to use during the run but is not Manditory by the NHRA

As everybody know this was the first major test of the Canopy and the results were very positive because he had no burns or injuries.

Aerodine Composites will continue to improve on the design of the Canopy closely with the NHRA, DSR and John Force Racing or any other outside companys.

Thanks for you time,

Steve Schiewer
General Manager
Aerodine Composites Group

Steve, thanks for the excellent write-up. I think it is great what you guys are doing. The most important thing is that Antron was safe. Who knows what would have happened in an open car, the fact is that he is safe and can race this weekend.

25 years ago canopies were an aero advantage, safety a concern but 2ndary.
Today canopies are #1 a safety feature, aero a concern but 2ndary.

To answer you Questions about the Canopy. I work for Aerodine Composites which makes the Canopy. We have reviewed alot of info over the last few day since the crash. It is still not 100% if there was fire inside the Canopy. I have seen all the pictures and video and one theing we are certain Antron did not get burned. The burns he was refering to was two Brush burns on the outside of his knees simular to a floor or rug burn most likey caused from legs rubbing inside of the cock pit during the crash.
The Canopy is not 100% air tight and was never claimed to be. If there was a Flash fire it entered thru small gaps in the frame ect. Not bad for a exposion of that size.
One thing that we know help is that if this was a typical T/F body on a crash like Antrons there is a good chance the cowl and side panels would of come of like the rest of the body with would expose the driver or all the fire that Antron saw as he was sliding backwards down the track and most likey resulted in major burns.

2. Putside the cockpit ( a seperate cable designed if the inside cable fails or the driver is unable to release on his own)
3. The removal of 8 marked Bolts with reflective decals for night races which will remove the entire lid.

As far as the breathing air system it is encouraged to use during the run but is not Manditory by the NHRA

As everybody know this was the first major test of the Canopy and the results were very positive because he had no burns or injuries.

Aerodine Composites will continue to improve on the design of the Canopy closely with the NHRA, DSR and John Force Racing or any other outside companys.

Thanks for you time,

Steve Schiewer
General Manager

Steve, thanks for your insight! Has NHRA indicated that it will mandate the canopy in the future?

The reply from Aerodine was very informative. As this was the first accident for a car with a canopy it seems to have worked very well and in static testing all things cannot be simulated.
I don't believe NHRA will mandate the use of the Aerodine system as there is an additional expense to install it, added weight, and it only fits chassis that are a certain size. NHRA "says" they are also trying to hold down the cost to the racer.

Wow! The Aerodine post is 20 hours old and no one has posted anything saying he doesn't know what he is talking about...........:)

Thanks for you time,

Steve Schiewer
General Manager

Is james brendel completly out of the picture now?

Aerodine Composites purchased the first stage of the Canopy project 1.5 years ago and we worked with DSR and NHRA to come up with what is being used in competition today. There was alot of thought that went into every piece of the Canopy. As everybody should know every T/F chassis is hand built (even with Fixtures) not all cars are exactly the same so there has to be some Flexabilty built into the Canopy to work with most of the chassis being campained during the 2013 NHRA season.

As far as making the Canopy Manditory that has nothing to do with Aerodine Composites, however I still think the Drivers or Owners will have final say in that. Just remember the Hans Device was out many years before the General public even heard or saw one before...... I just takes one accident to change some peoples mind about it.

Also, I don't think there was any wording from DSR that this would be a 100%enclosed sealed capsule. In fact, NHRA mandated they have a kick panel (the size of the hole in FC side windows approx) to put a hose inside the cockpit if there was a problem with fire and they could not get the driver out due to the car being on it's side, or upside down.

Didn't Tony said that he did not know if Antron canopy was sealed like his is on the replay the other night?

Aerodine Composites purchased the first stage of the Canopy project 1.5 years ago and we worked with DSR and NHRA to come up with what is being used in competition today. There was alot of thought that went into every piece of the Canopy. As everybody should know every T/F chassis is hand built (even with Fixtures) not all cars are exactly the same so there has to be some Flexabilty built into the Canopy to work with most of the chassis being campained during the 2013 NHRA season.

As far as making the Canopy Manditory that has nothing to do with Aerodine Composites, however I still think the Drivers or Owners will have final say in that. Just remember the Hans Device was out many years before the General public even heard or saw one before...... I just takes one accident to change some peoples mind about it.
Steve,
How much does the canopy system cost?

Sorry i just getting back with you on the price of the Aerodine Composites Canopy. The Canopy is delivered in a somewhat kit form, However you receive the Canopy with a Windshield, all the chassis tubing to weld onto current chassis ( only two small rail pieces ) all the Cables, Chassis tabs, Aircraft grade bolts with the nuts, reflective stickers cut to size to identify key bolts for removal of canopy. And some basic drawings for the the mounting of tabs cables latch ect. With a experienced fabricator the process should take 1.5-2 days. And the guys at DSR have offered to help and team that wishes to mount one.

Steve

any new canopies to appear @ gators?
can canopy be fitted and/or ordered for dragster chassis in other classes?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back