TF Aero-body question (1 Viewer)

scaryfordman

Nitro Member
Look at this photo of Gary Ormsby digger from 1987...NHRA.com Photo of the Week presented by Auto Imagery
The first thing that came to mind when I looked at it,was, that thing looks pretty zoomie. Why isn't any TF teams looking at body aero mods along this line? Is this body NOT as zoomie as it LOOKS? Or is there some sort of rule that won't allow this sort of aero mod? There DOES appear to be a bit of an "air block" in front of the hat. But, with the state of the art air entrance this sort of "canopy" would not restrict air intake....would it?
Give me your thoughts and knowledge about this.

Scott Loveall....#1 Bob Glidden fan. :cool:

Look at this photo of Gary Ormsby digger from 1987...NHRA.com Photo of the Week presented by Auto Imagery
The first thing that came to mind when I looked at it,was, that thing looks pretty zoomie. Why isn't any TF teams looking at body aero mods along this line? Is this body NOT as zoomie as it LOOKS? Or is there some sort of rule that won't allow this sort of aero mod? There DOES appear to be a bit of an "air block" in front of the hat. But, with the state of the art air entrance this sort of "canopy" would not restrict air intake....would it?
Give me your thoughts and knowledge about this.

Scott Loveall....#1 Bob Glidden fan. :cool:

I don't know, but they were pretty cool. Did you notice Big's similar deal in the waterbox right behind it? Man those streamliners were cool weren't they? I also miss the smaller front tires. Those things just looked cool.

If my memory is right, Ormsby only ran the spoon nose with the small front wheels one time, the last race the car was run. Other then that it had the traditional front end on it.

That car was 20 years ahead of it's time, just like SR30,31,33, and 34.

Rules, and weight are the factors now.

Some photos...

IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

i think this is the basic building blocks of what dragsters will look like in 10 years, plus the mono-wing. there's just no way TF keeps going on with the current design. it archaic.

i think this is the basic building blocks of what dragsters will look like in 10 years, plus the mono-wing. there's just no way TF keeps going on with the current design. it archaic.

You're saying that about a car from 20 years ago. The car also ran without the bodywork... was quicker without. 15 years earlier we had the Wedge cars... same thing...

We have streamliners today... we call them Floppers...

Did Ormsby ditch his after wrecking motors again and again.

I thought they found the cause to be the mags arching out on the engine cover.

Might be wrong, innovative cars are sorely missed, even our English racers had a go.

Did Ormsby ditch his after wrecking motors again and again.

I thought they found the cause to be the mags arching out on the engine cover.

Might be wrong, innovative cars are sorely missed, even our English racers had a go.

Daniel... You are correct.

They ran the car without Body... the extra weight vs little gains... what I'd like to see is a 165-185 inch rear engine car with an FC type body... opps, been there too, Swamp Rat in '72... I know they ran it at the PDA meet at OCIR...

Ormsby ran the car in that form at the Atlanta race and by the next race in Baton Rouge, all the aero bodywork was off the car. Weight was the final culprit. But you are right, initially the engine came in contact with the Indy-car style cover and would arc and pop the blower. I think it took a couple races to figure out what the problem was - once it was figured out, Ormsby was able to compete with the car.
OK trivia question time: What year and what race was there an all-streamliner Top Fuel final? I'm interested to see how many of you know this question.

Ormsby ran the car in that form at the Atlanta race and by the next race in Baton Rouge, all the aero bodywork was off the car. Weight was the final culprit. But you are right, initially the engine came in contact with the Indy-car style cover and would arc and pop the blower. I think it took a couple races to figure out what the problem was - once it was figured out, Ormsby was able to compete with the car.
OK trivia question time: What year and what race was there an all-streamliner Top Fuel final? I'm interested to see how many of you know this question.

Off the top of my head, (probably wrong) Gwynn v Garlits, year is not coming to me, after all it is after midnight here.

So If no one has answered it, I will try again tomorrow.

Baton Rouge 1986, Ormsby and Garlits :D

Gwynn only ran his streamliner one time, 1987 Winternationals.

Joe Amato also had a one race wonder spoon nose car, and ran it only at the 1986 Northstar Nationals.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember the interview on TV with Ormsby, he said it felt like it couldn't even get out of it's own way. Also, I have an old pic from Hot Rod Mag somewhere of the blower scoop about 20 feet in the air from a blower explosion!
Also, Amato sold the one race wonder to Butch Blair, who ran it as "Blair's Fugowie". I have a hat pin of that car. Blair also added wings to the spoon nose.

Last edited:
Baton Rouge 1986, Ormsby and Garlits :D

Gwynn only ran his streamliner one time, 1987 Winternationals.

Joe Amato also had a one race wonder spoon nose car, and ran it only at the 1986 Northstar Nationals.

...And I believe Butch Blair bought that car and ran it under the "FUGOWIE" name right????:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back