Nitrogate......The Don answers! (2 Viewers)

A good thing too. Please don't take any offense as none was meant. I'm just a guest here and don't want to stir things up, I get in enough problems as it is over here.

English is not my first language so nuances get lost. Point was: I agree with your post, your point of view and I could have been more straightforward myself.

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com
It's all good, Par..and don't you even think twice about voicing your opinion here.

You do well..and I appreciate it.

I had lost alot of respect for Don after the infamus Seattle "lane change" a few years ago, but since this "nitrogate" crap the NHRA is pulling on him I've regained my respect for him two fold for his efforts to keep the price of nitro down, if you ask me the only offical sponsor that should have any exclusive rights is coke-a-cola/poweraide. You don't see them requiring everbody to run Pontiac's, GMC's, etc, etc, or is that soon to come also? Thank god for the IHRA, no politics, no countdown to the championship, and other b.s., just good old dragracing, they way it's supposed to be!

NHRA has been going down hill ever since the original players (who were all former racers) started to retire and were replaced by bean counters...most of whom had never seen a drag strip before they were hired.

They've really shot themselves in the foot this time. Deciding to fine Don is one thing, but to go public during the race, before all parties have talked is quite another. VERY STUPID.....but consider the source.

With regard to not racing if you've sued.....some years ago, Dick Landy was kicked out of OCIR (I don't think it was all of NHRA) and sued. OCIR had to let him race because otherwise it was "restraint of trade". I would think the same still applies today, in spite of what NHRA thinks or says.

NHRA management is getting more pathetic everyday and it's becoming embarrassing to say one is a member or goes to drag races.

One - Jim Jannard's post is extremely signifigant for many reasons. The one I'll seize on is the idea that NHRA MAJOR SPONSORS get together and form an organization called PSO - Professional Sponsors Organization.

Crappy name, but Drag Racing needs some checks and balances in place some where. PRO is a weak suck, to steal an apt phrase from Jim Head. NHRA needs to be checked by a "union" that has some power and teeth. And think of all the karma that would result from companies like GM, maybe Ford, Castrol, NAPA. CSK, Autozone, MAC Tools Snap On, Goodyear and so on actually providing a powerful check to NHRA's arrogance!

I'm thinking of doing an internet article on the history of NHRA sponsor poaching. Think I could get enough material to make that article interesting? I know one guy that had at least four deals sabotaged by NHRA. And I don't even know any nitro racers personally! (On a fan level of course, but not on a personal basis. I do know lots of nostalgia nitro people on a personal basis, though)

Is there anything on the net thats official from NHRA on this $100,000 Schumacher fine? All I see is coverage from the journalism side and the internet message boards on fire over this issue.

-90% jimmy

Thanks for the link, Brian. Three sentences. Sure beats press releases trying to make a first round loss seem interesting, anyway.

Anything on NHRA.COM? I did a cursory seach over there and came up empty.

-90%

LOL.........
I love the sport and give props to the NHRA for keeping it going- but I hate all this political bull$hit!

Amen Alan. If I didn't have such immense respect for Wally Parks and all that he stood for and created I would suggest that we change the name of the trophy to the "DILBERT" because it symbolizes the corporate ineptitude that the racer has overcome to win.

I do not know where Competition Plus got a copy of DSR' letter that was sent to NHRA but it refers to all of the facts in this issue.

Amen Alan. If I didn't have such immense respect for Wally Parks and all that he stood for and created I would suggest that we change the name of the trophy to the "DILBERT" because it symbolizes the corporate ineptitude that the racer has overcome to win.

The dumb part about the trophy is that it ain't Wally. It doesn't even look like Wally. The man who posed for the trophy is actually former Top Gas racer Jack Jones. Those of us who have been around for a while have always reffered to it as an "Oscar". Does anybody know why all of a sudden they started calling it a "Wally"? It's been an Oscar as long as I can remember.

Dave

The dumb part about the trophy is that it ain't Wally. It doesn't even look like Wally. The man who posed for the trophy is actually former Top Gas racer Jack Jones. Those of us who have been around for a while have always reffered to it as an "Oscar". Does anybody know why all of a sudden they started calling it a "Wally"? It's been an Oscar as long as I can remember.

Dave

Dave; it's a very long story, but to shorten it........
It's not all of a sudden.....
Several years ago, the Motion Picture Assc. sued NHRA to stop using the name "Oscar". Jack Jones sued over the use of his likeness, sort of. As a tribute to "the man", they then called it "Wally".

I do not know where Competition Plus got a copy of DSR' letter that was sent to NHRA but it refers to all of the facts in this issue.

It sure seems that DSR's side of the story is an island of reality in an ocean of BS....

And thanks for being pro-active with us Don!

Quote from Jeff Burke @ dragracingonline.com

"So now, every possible bad scenario, factual or not, regarding storing, buying, and selling nitromethane is all over the internet. No matter what precautions the current suppliers and the NHRA and IHRA have taken to comply with the regulations, the transport, use and sales of the golden juice is a suddenly a big deal. Rumors abound about even more restrictive rules regarding the sales and transport of nitro for racing purposes
In my opinion, what really needs to happen here is that we all – and that means the press, the sanctioning bodies, chat room and bulletin board wonks and especially those that import and sell the stuff -- need to just SHUT UP about nitro. Those that sell it should quit fighting and make peace among themselves. The NHRA and the IHRA should quit worrying about the relatively small amount of money they get for awarding a nitro monopoly and instead do everything they can to ensure there is an affordable and plentiful supply.
And one last thing: the Homeland Security people have a lot bigger worries than what goes on in drag racing. I’ll bet most of the folks in charge don’t even know or care about it.
As always, it’s just my view on the subject."

[email protected]

I don't usually/normally agree with him but in this case he seems to be the only voice of reason in a flood of rumors, misrepresentations, threats and one sided responses. All of the parties not involved who don't have all the facts should shut up and let this get worked out quietly before we force the government, racers, sanctioning bodies and suppliers to take actions that will just hurt drag racing.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back