Nitrogate......The Don answers! (1 Viewer)

None and not enough!!

They are both obviously lacking in any real supervisory/managerial skill training!

While racing experience would be nice, I think you hit the nail on the head with the lack of leadership, supervisory, management skills. This incident, and the poor way it was handled, is just the latest indication.

As even the very newest manager knows, a key rule is: compliment in public, criticize in private. Why they would even consider levying a six-digit fine without some due process and the utmost decorum is beyond me.

Why am I reminded of the town that bit the hand that fed it when Bruton wanted to build a dragstrip? The one that bowed when Bruton called their bluff?

Seems like I see another benefactor trying to bite the hand that helps to feed it. Bruton got what he wanted when he threatened to take his show elsewhere.

In my part of the country, NHRA has the reputation of kissing pros' butts while acting arrogant toward sportsmen and women. What I've encountered myself that supports that is one reason why my life's dream (NHRA nitro funny car champ) changed directions many years ago.

Hey, it's not like Light's Out or the NHRA handled it very PC. I simply calls it as I see's it!
A good thing too. Please don't take any offense as none was meant. I'm just a guest here and don't want to stir things up, I get in enough problems as it is over here.

English is not my first language so nuances get lost. Point was: I agree with your post, your point of view and I could have been more straightforward myself.

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

I think a 3rd party needs to govern the psort, the teams pooling up and doing it could get ugly. It's always hard to police yourself while trying to get the advantage on your competitors

After All, was that not the Birth of PRO back in 1972? We have a kinder, gentler PRO today. Some of the Founding Fathers were Don, Don, and Don. Oh yeah, Jim Tice kinda backed them.

d'kid

A good thing too. Please don't take any offense as none was meant. I'm just a guest here and don't want to stir things up, I get in enough problems as it is over here.

English is not my first language so nuances get lost. Point was: I agree with your post, your point of view and I could have been more straightforward myself.

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

No offense taken. Sometimes it is best to not be to PC about things!:D

While racing experience would be nice, I think you hit the nail on the head with the lack of leadership, supervisory, management skills. This incident, and the poor way it was handled, is just the latest indication.

As even the very newest manager knows, a key rule is: compliment in public, criticize in private. Why they would even consider levying a six-digit fine without some due process and the utmost decorum is beyond me.

I guess they (NHRA) have not been humbled lately.

I can only hope the NHRA will come to their senses and rescind their penalty.

At this point maybe they can hope to work out some sort of a "agreement reached,records sealed" settlement? That way everybody saves face & only the parties that need to, really know what went on behind closed doors as it should have been from the start.

1st off I'm not a shoe fan! But I feel he is right and has shown what a class act he is! NHRA should look in there own closet and look for problems! Mr. light is a problem in my eyes and should go along with Mr. Compton! I believe the racing community is 100 % behind Don! Alan Johnson would not use anything ilegal and NHRA made it sound like (to me) that they were doing something wrong. I aplaud Don for being in the nitro business to help keep the price in line! Racers should be able to buy from who they wish! We are not in a controlled country (communist)

Mike :mad::eek:

You know, I'm thinking what drag racing needs is to restructure to become more like the National Basketball Association, or The National Football League. They would appoint a strong commissioner and all the Pro team owners would have a vote at any meetings. NHRA could still take care of booking the races at the member tracks, and provide the rule book for competition. I think it's obvious to most people on this forum that drag racing, NHRA style, is on a possible self-destructive course. And it seems to become more and more obvious every season, and almost every event.

At this point maybe they can hope to work out some sort of a "agreement reached,records sealed" settlement? That way everybody saves face & only the parties that need to, really know what went on behind closed doors as it should have been from the start.

It's a little late for saving face when NHRA went public from second one. That would have been the conversation to have with Mr. Schumacher in private first.

I just wish it was a case like where Bruton Smith wanted something.

How about this? Since NHRA was so quick to announce a $100,000 fine because they thought Don was wrong, how about they give HIM the same amount of money if they're wrong? That or, donate it to the charity(s) of Don's choice? I bet the majority would agree with THAT idea! :)

If $100,000 is good for Don for being wrong, $100,000 is good for NHRA for being wrong. I think that would be a VERY stand up way of doing things. That would be an OPPORTUNITY for NHRA to try to change the minds of a lot of people who think they're just in it for the money nowadays, huh? How can they expect others to pay for being wrong if they're not? They should WILLINGLY do this,

( BTW, if they do this I get 10%! :D )

Last edited:
I am OK with what you said. i just wanted everyone to know the facts. The drums were upstairs. I have had to deal with this and everyone comments are fine.

I hope you can trust me. The barrels were up stairs in the trailer. We showed them to the NHRA officals when they asked about the drums

Sir,
I'm glad you're here (on the board and in drag racing) and I trust you did everything above board. I hope this works out the right way.

Semper Fi
D

I know of some round tracks where, if you protest someone's engine, you put up however much money. If they tear it down and it's legal, they get your money.

I think it'd be a lot more fair if NHRA had to put up the same amount of money they're fining you and who's right and wrong was settled by an unbiased third party. If they're willing to fine you $100,000, they should have to be so sure of it that they'd be willing to lose the same amount if they're wrong. If they're willing to take the initial step of accusing you in the first place, I don't think that's too much to ask. It's not like you started it. If you're wrongfully accused, you should be compensated just like they expect to be if you're cheating. Something's wrong when they're willing to fine you but, not willing to fine themselves.

As it stands they fine you, you appeal and, even if you win, what has it cost them for wrongfully fining you in the first place? If they can collect fines when you're wrong, you should be able to collect fines when they're wrong.

Last edited:
Let me get this right. IF Don wants to race his, (let me count them) 5 Pro cars and a bike at the nationals and is willing to accept that he will have to win a championship to recoop the money, he can cantinue and pay the 100 large. 100 to pay, 400 to win it all. I like Tommy and Dim's math.

I am reading a book called The Ultimate Question. The premise is basically that you have promoters and detractors. They ask customers (here the car owners) one question, "Would you recommend the product or wervice to a friend or colleague". It also talks about good profits and bad profits.

I think NHRA is full of bad profits. This fine, bad profits. Lack of a serious championship points fund, bad profits. Sponsor stealing, bad profits. Poor treatment of the sportsman that pay the bills, bad profits.

Must I go on?

[QUOTEFROM THE TRACK PREP= Bob Pellegrini;135163]

Competition is good, it breeds better products and gives the competitors a choice and might even make it a little more affordable.
[/QUOTE]

pronitro.gif

I raced NMCA where, if you protest someone's engine, you put up $$$ to Challenge. If they tear it down and it's legal, they get your money.

I am so sick of this crap and this is an example as to why I haven't been to a race in 4 years. If it wasn't for team owners like Don Schumacher, Tom Compton would be managing a McDonald's watching burgers burst into flames.

Let me get this right. IF Don wants to race his, (let me count them) 5 Pro cars and a bike at the nationals and is willing to accept that he will have to win a championship to recoop the money, he can cantinue and pay the 100 large. 100 to pay, 400 to win it all. I like Tommy and Dim's math.

I am reading a book called The Ultimate Question. The premise is basically that you have promoters and detractors. They ask customers (here the car owners) one question, "Would you recommend the product or wervice to a friend or colleague". It also talks about good profits and bad profits.

I think NHRA is full of bad profits. This fine, bad profits. Lack of a serious championship points fund, bad profits. Sponsor stealing, bad profits. Poor treatment of the sportsman that pay the bills, bad profits.

Must I go on?
No, perfect package, dead on the money:D

S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back