Nitrogate......The Don answers! (1 Viewer)

Has PRO ever entertained the idea of buying the proessional NHRA series? For Racers, By Racers! Some of the brightest business minds are there. (Don, KB, JF, Snake and Powers...)

Is $120M a bad investment?

Don touched on a bigger ages-old NHRA problem, the lack of communication and the "we're right, your wrong" attitude by NHRA officials. This is nothing new about the NHRA. Just ask Don Garlits. (Since Tom Compton came along, it now involves sums of money when your told your wrong.)

Don should get the ear of some of the current major players like Evan Knoll and Bruton Smith etal. and perhaps some members of the IHRA and start a new Professional Drag Racing Organization (PDRO)- kinda like what Tony George did with Indy cars (IRL). The NHRA has become stale and lack imagination on the professional level.

Has PRO ever entertained the idea of buying the proessional NHRA series? For Racers, By Racers! Some of the brightest business minds are there. (Don, KB, JF, Snake and Powers...)

Is $120M a bad investment?

Sounds good, but certainly didn't work too good for CART/Champ/etc. I think you need a third body to run the organization, but it helps if they know what the hell they are doing.

What bothers me the most is the arrogance displayed by NHRA.

As was said earlier..the hammer down before all the facts, along with the display on TV..leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Sometimes in life it becomes painfully obvious that a change of careers would be the best thing for all parties involved. The evidence is damning. Mediocre TV deal(motorcycles in an empty stadium preempting an NHRA broadcast), pitifully low professional purses, poor race day management of facilities and now executives making potentially actionable remarks on TV. Compton and Light would serve the drag racing community best by gracefully leaving.

Mark

Just had a thought. With all of the talk about Bruton and others buying NHRA, why doesn't Don Schumacher buy it? His teams are successful, his business is successful. I think Don knows how to make money and keep folks happy.

Thoughts anybody?

Dave

I think a 3rd party needs to govern the psort, the teams pooling up and doing it could get ugly. It's always hard to police yourself while trying to get the advantage on your competitors

Apologies if this a repost of a link but another article on the subject is at ::: Drag Racing Online ::: Schumacher's Fuelish Faux Pas - 04/14/08

Now, I'm not based in the US but the Internet is a wonderful thing for all drag racing fans. Could be I might be reading too much into the small bits but in the Competition Plus article, mr. Schumacher gets the question from CP: "Were the barrels out in the open?" and the reply is, "No they were upstairs in the trailer."

In the DRO-article the wording is a tad different: "NHRA officials saw that Don Schumacher Racing had four barrels of Pro Nitro brand nitromethane (VP Fuels is the only official nitro supplier) in its pit area".

How could the NHRA officials see the barrels? If they were not in the open, where did NHRA get the information about the barrels being upstairs in the trailer?

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”
Abraham Lincoln

All of this has a really bad smell :eek:
I especially dislike the rule written by the NHRA that parks any competitor "arrogant" enough to commence litigation...........:(

Can someone please tell me how much "Racing" or racing experience >>Compton and Light<< have?

Did they ever compete, and if so at what level? Thanks sorry for my ignorance re: those two, but I cant find anything...

Sorry I just Googled him, and found his "Bio" written by "National Dragster"

Last edited:
I hope you can trust me. The barrels were up stairs in the trailer. We showed them to the NHRA officals when they asked about the drums

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back