NHRA to skip Seattle in '07? (1 Viewer)

Hmm. I was told by Jason Fiorito that the construction is planned in such a way that they would be able to continue offering the planned schedule of events while the construction was under way. It would be business suicide to shut down for a year.

It is also my understanding that Pacific Raceways is two years into a five-year agreement with the NHRA to host events there.

This rumor doesn't fit into what I have been told by Jason Fiorito at all.

I gotta agree with Kris Hill...there was plenty of press about the propsed changes in various publications up in Seattle last weekend, and they all said there wouldn`t be any interruption as far the weekend of the National Event.

So, I can't upload the PDFs of my story about the Pacifc Raceways improvements.

Help!

Kris,
Bandimere took a year off from the NHRA National event schedule when they did their transformation. It wasn't business suicide; it was necessary to do it right. There are a bunch of things wrong with Pacific Raceways in my opinion. While weather might not be as much of a consideration in Washington as it was for Bandimere in Colorado, it has to be taken into account. It'd be best to get it done right, and do it all as a single project, even if that means sitting out a year on the National event schedule.

Bob

The differance is , Denver built the new dragstrip where the old one was and had to do alot of earth work on the site.
Seattle the new drag strip will be built on a section of the property that is part overgrown and part parking lot. The old track can stay in place while this is done.

Kris,
Bandimere took a year off from the NHRA National event schedule when they did their transformation. It wasn't business suicide; it was necessary to do it right. There are a bunch of things wrong with Pacific Raceways in my opinion. While weather might not be as much of a consideration in Washington as it was for Bandimere in Colorado, it has to be taken into account. It'd be best to get it done right, and do it all as a single project, even if that means sitting out a year on the National event schedule.

Bob

Well, I don't know much about Bandimere, but I can tell you it would be extremely difficult for Pacific Raceways to stay in business if they shut down, especially if they don't host an NHRA event. The drag strip is the only surface that can be used for professional racing at this stage.

Yes, there is much work to be done. But, the property is very large and this isn't a remodel. There is room enough on the property to build all the new racing surfaces without disrupting the racing season. There is a significant amount of new construction that will be done around the existing racing surfaces. I was told by Jason Fiorito that the construction has been planned so that the facility can remain open while the new racing surfaces are being built. Unless something has changed dramatically in the past two weeks, the operators of Pacific Raceways have no plans to close down during construction, based on the information I have.

I just need to post my story. Unfortunately, the PDFs are too big. Sigh.

As I said, I don't know much about Bandimere or its owners, so I know that I can't make the comparison. But, it sounds to me like it may be an apples-to-orange comparison.

One of the advantages NHRA had in the Sea-tac area was it was the only Major Motorsports series in the Northwest. If that new Nascar track goes in, NHRA will fade away on the Local media radar!

The NASCAR track will never fly the way it has been proposed, the taxpayers will never foot the bill. The only way a speedway will be built is if it is done with private money.

One of the advantages NHRA had in the Sea-tac area was it was the only Major Motorsports series in the Northwest. If that new Nascar track goes in, NHRA will fade away on the Local media radar!

Hmm. That's an interesting thought. Pacific Raceways appears to have a headstart on the proposed NASCAR track intended to be built on the Kitsap Penninsula. Funding is in place, essentially, and the pitch to King County officials seems to be further along.

At each of the three Northwest Nationals I've attended at Pacific Raceways, I've observed a pretty strong cross-over fan base. In other words, lots of NASCAR T-shirts mixed in with the NHRA-related shirts.

But, that makes me wonder...will those folks abandon drag racing altogether if/when ISC gets a NASCAR oval built? Or will motorsports fans be stoked to have major events in the two most popular series in the country? I couldn't even begin to speculate.

Here's another thought: What if Fiorito persuades NASCAR to use the new road course? Can you have a road course event in the same state as an oval track event? I can't answer those questions. I just don't know enough about NASCAR.

I'm not sure where things are at with the other proposed NASCAR track. They proposal seemed stalled last I looked.

But, Fiorito also told me (though it's not in my story, it's in my notes) that their business plan doesn't depend on NASCAR using the Pacific Raceways road course. There's always IRL, Champ Car and LeMans Series events, not to mention the club users.

The idea behind the whole master plan is diversify. Multi-use. Appeal to the entire spectrum of drivers and motorsports fans. Therein lies the formula for success.

Kris,
Bandimere, other than having a karting track north of the parking lots, is a drag racing only facility.

The largest flaw, IMO, with the drag strip at your place is the direction of the track. East to west is not the way to race when the sun is setting. Racers can't see when they're looking directly into a setting sun. The track needs to be south to north, or some angle that isn't east to west.

After reading the link that Darr provided, one thing comes to mind (well, maybe two, gotta wonder if the Drag City boys have been making suggestions). Digging the new track 20 feet below ground level would seem to me to be a recipe for water percolating up through the track surface. Sinking it would be good for noise control, but you don't have to worry about noise if the track is covered with water bubbling up through it from underneath -- there won't be any racing.

They definitely need a real tower with a real media center that provides an actual view of what's happening on the track for those whose job it is to report it. That trailer at the end of the track just don't cut it.

Bob

Does the track already have a commitment from NASCAR for an event? Just building a track does not mean it will host a NASCAR event. Private developers built the Kentucky Speedway in Sparta Kentucky.

It is a great track but has not been able to land that big race from NASCAR. NASCAR just keeps blowing them off. They do run some truck and Busch races but that is all.

The track owners are in the process of suing NASCAR to get a slot in the schedule.

The difference between the track that is being proposed in Bremerton and Kentucky Speedway is that the Bremerton track is to be built by ISC, which is owned by the same folks who own NASCAR. And because of their television package, NASCAR wants a race in the Pacific Northwest market. Because of this there is little doubt that a new track in the Pacific Northwest would get a Nextel Cup race date.

That said, I am not at all optimistic that the state legislature will give their needed approval for the proposed track - especially after the controversy and grief they got over the building of the Mariners and Seahawks stadiums.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back