NHRA to LIMIT Energy Drink Sponsors (1 Viewer)

look, i don't care about this sponsor or that sponsor.
here's the argument.
rockstar pays X amount to be involved in NHRA as sponsor of a racecar
and possilby other exposure surrounding nat. events.......and their
promotional girls have been told it's against the rules to advertise for
rockstar energy drink outside of their immediate pit area.
rules stem from coca cola/full throttle being series sponsor/exclusivity rites.
i get it. (and more power to rockstar for pushing the boundaries)

now let's say i'm the CEO of 'big, bad auto parts' and i'm hosting my
innaugural 'big, bad auto parts nhra nationals' and have paid an amount
for naming rites to the event. would it not be a legitimate concern to expect
any exposure gained by my competitors would come through legimate
channels, such as racing their car in eliminations until either losing or winning
the event, or the same exposure gained by their presence in the pits, same
as any other team. i think as event sponsor i would be somewhat put off
if my competitors were roaming around gaining national TV exposure
when they may have already been eliminated from competition?
shouldn't eliminated drivers only be able to promote their sponsor from
within the boundaries of their pit space?....ridiculous right!?

so, i could care less if 'driver x' gets a little extra TV time because he/she's
smart enough to realize where the cameras are......same vein, i could care
less if 'sponsor x girls' are doing the best they can to show off their sponsor.

in either instance, it is a disgrace that 'rulings' need to be made for actions
so proactive to the potential longevity of a sponsor.
every car can't dominate and most cars win very seldom, so cut some slack
to the sponsors paying the bills.

Me being a big fan of coca-cola I have tried to stay out of this , but you guys know that coca-cola distributes rockstar energy drink right?

I want to be perfectly clear, I'm not bashing Rockstar. I'm glad that they are involved, and as I have known JT way back to his boat racing days, I'm glad that they are with him.

This is about rules. If Rockstar wanted to bring in 500 models, and give everyone who walked in the gate a free sample and a coupon for a case of the stuff should that be OK?

If you were Monster would that be OK?

If you were Full Throttle would it be OK?

You have to draw the line somewhere, and the line can't be crossed. If you let one company do it, then every company will want to do it. If you as a company, paid for a three million dollar sponsorship, would you be happy to find out that another company paid one million to the team and two mil, to hire models and give away stuff? In the long run, would that be good for the teams?

Devallion,

As the ARMY is an "Official Partner" of NHRA, if the NAVY had recruiters walking through the pits handing out recruiting info, I guarantee DSR would be demanding that they (The NAVY) be told to stop.

Alan

While I understand the point, the NHRA is speaking out both sides of their mouthes, as far as I am concerned.

It is all fine and dandy, and the NHRA can say it is trying to protect the individual sponsors, but there is one glaring exception. It ALL goes out the window if said sponsor also throws some $$$ towards the NHRA .. in that case, who gives a crap about the Snap on Girls wandering all over the pits, handing stuff out, because they are now the "Official tools" of the NHRA ..

seems a bit two-faced to me. Don't claim one one hand to be doing it to keep everyone in their own box for their own protection .. state the real reason .. it is being done to protect the value of the "Official" exclusivity the NHRA is selling for their own purposes. Which is their right .. I just don't think it is healthy for the sport in the long term.

Me being a big fan of coca-cola I have tried to stay out of this , but you guys know that coca-cola distributes rockstar energy drink right?

William - this make this even more confusing! From Wikipedia:
Rockstar (or ROCKST★R) is an energy drink created in 2001. Rockstar is based in Las Vegas, Nevada, and was founded by Russell Weiner, who currently serves as CEO. Russell Weiner is the son of the talk radio host Michael Savage. [1] It is sold in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, Mexico and New Zealand and currently comes in ten varieties [2].Rockstar Energy Drink products are distributed in the U.S. and Canada by The Coca-Cola Company (except in the Pacific Northwest and Northern California, where Rockstar retains its original distributors).

Did Coke decide to shoot themselves in the foot, or was this an NHRA decision? As I said, very confusing!

William - this make this even more confusing! From Wikipedia:
Rockstar (or ROCKST★R) is an energy drink created in 2001. Rockstar is based in Las Vegas, Nevada, and was founded by Russell Weiner, who currently serves as CEO. Russell Weiner is the son of the talk radio host Michael Savage. [1] It is sold in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, Mexico and New Zealand and currently comes in ten varieties [2].Rockstar Energy Drink products are distributed in the U.S. and Canada by The Coca-Cola Company (except in the Pacific Northwest and Northern California, where Rockstar retains its original distributors).

Did Coke decide to shoot themselves in the foot, or was this an NHRA decision? As I said, very confusing!

I am sure it was a Coca-Cola decision. They probably saw how much they were making from marketing products (or how much could potentially be made) and decided to make one of their own.

And anyone who attacks/belittles Reinhart for trying to explain how the rules are being applied in the simplest terms he can is a moron. Reinhart has never claimed to speak for NHRA nor has he ever claimed NHRA is right or wrong ... he just puts out the proverbial "other side of the story". I will go on record as saying he has done a pretty dammed good job without promoting Glendora's agenda ....

As for the matter at hand ... the title of the thread is somewhat misleading ... NHRA is not limiting Energy Drink sponsors per se ... it is just making sure Rockstar is playing by the same set of rules as everyone else ... If the Rockstar girls don't know where they can and can't go ... then it is up to someone to tell them ...

Last edited:
That's right, you get what you pay for.

If I buy a general admission ticket, should I be able to sit in the TEC?

If I don't pay for premium parking is it OK to sneak in to the front row as long as nobody catches me?

If I pay for a T-shirt, can I just steal a jacket and if nobody sees me then no foul?

If you don't give special treatment to customers that pay extra, then how do you justify charging extra?

If you are in business then this makes sense, if you're not in business then I don't know how better to explain it.

Alan

Alan,

You're asking people to be personally responsible and to do the right thing! Have you lost your mind? This is America, if you can get away with it, it must be okay - regardless of whether or not it's morally or ethically right.

Seriously though, I get your point and I happen to agree with you 110% - even if I am in the minority.

I see it all the time in the Navy. A sailor - one guy, an individual - goes out on Liberty and gets in trouble for doing something stupid... it normally involves alcohol. Now, that sailor should have had at least one buddy with him, but for whatever reason, he didn't. Or maybe he did and his buddy screwed up too. Regardless, because that one individual, or individuals, did something stupid the ENTIRE SHIP has a new set of restrictions placed on them! It's wrong. 5,500 other sailors went out on Liberty and had a great time WITHOUT getting in trouble or breaking the established rules. I'm not saying that's what is happening here, but it certainly looks like it may.

Bottom line: If the Rock Star girls are the problem, then punish the Rock Star girls - in PRIVATE! Don't scare away sponsors, or potential sponsors, by modifying rules or adding restrictions because one group screwed up. If NHRA is simply enforcing the existing rules on the entity that broke them, then I say good on 'em.

Maybe this is all part of a "scripted storyline"!!! Kinda like the WWE!

So when are we going to see some hair pulling?:D

yea....or the toe hold! Or the clothes tearing, eye gouging.....
oops, got carried away :eek:

Not to unhijack the thread from Suzie but when did Alan become a mouthpiece stooge for the Glendora Gang?

I have always enjoyed reading his posts and admired his candid views as well as his commentary at races, but when the man in charge is dead wrong and harming the business that we all love why defend him?

In recent years NHRA has jumped on every new sponsor a racer has brought into the NHRA by ramming an event sponsorship or official this or that down their throat. This just takes money from the cars and lines TC's pockets and leaves less and less for the people that put fans in the stands. To read all the posts Alan has typed so boldly in red here it seems he has been taken over by the Dark Side (and I don't mean Schumacher Racing).

So what the Hell Alan? Can we still count on you for honest, non-Compton info or just more spoonful Pablum BS from the Man?

Jet, you seem pretty sure of yourself, so let's hear some FACTS. Which sponsors did the NHRA take away from a racer? Which sponsor had an event sponsorship or an 'official' designation rammed down their throat by the NHRA? How do you know the money went to Tom Compton? If you're going to make public accusations, you should be able to back them up with FACTS.

And anyone who attacks/belittles Reinhart for trying to explain how the rules are being applied in the simplest terms he can is a moron. Reinhart has never claimed to speak for NHRA nor has he ever claimed NHRA is right or wrong ... he just puts out the proverbial "other side of the story". I will go on record as saying he has done a pretty dammed good job without promoting Glendora's agenda ....

As for the matter at hand ... the title of the thread is somewhat misleading ... NHRA is not limiting Energy Drink sponsors per se ... it is just making sure Rockstar is playing by the same set of rules as everyone else ... If the Rockstar girls don't know where they can and can't go ... then it is up to someone to tell them ...
Somebody gets it!!

Bottom line: If the Rock Star girls are the problem, then punish the Rock Star girls - in PRIVATE! Don't scare away sponsors, or potential sponsors, by modifying rules or adding restrictions because one group screwed up. If NHRA is simply enforcing the existing rules on the entity that broke them, then I say good on 'em.
They are enforcing existing rules that have existed for official sponsors since the beginning of official sponsors.

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that several events ago Monster bought out the remainder of it's sponsorship after the 2008 season and will not return.

Funny you mention that Virgil.... noticed that Monster has stepped up its sponsrship with Robby Gordon in Cup.... and tv said they were expected to be on the car for more races this year... and after talking to a buddy working in Cali this weekend at the Cup race.. rumor has it that they are going to do alot more with Robby next year in Cup also... beyond the off-raod suport they give Robby for his Dakar and Baja efforts.....wonder if that might be part of the reason for parting ways form the NHRA... if the rumor is true about them leaving...

Billy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back