NHRA to LIMIT Energy Drink Sponsors (1 Viewer)

Just a little humor there Alan.

Is that the phone from Glendora I hear ringing? "No Tom, that's not what I said. It was Hollywood. Yes, he is still an ass!"

Oh well, I needed a new laptop anyway. Maybe a waterproof (Coke proof) one is in my future?? :D

I want to be perfectly clear, I'm not bashing Rockstar. I'm glad that they are involved, and as I have known JT way back to his boat racing days, I'm glad that they are with him.

This is about rules. If Rockstar wanted to bring in 500 models, and give everyone who walked in the gate a free sample and a coupon for a case of the stuff should that be OK?

If you were Monster would that be OK?

If you were Full Throttle would it be OK?

You have to draw the line somewhere, and the line can't be crossed. If you let one company do it, then every company will want to do it. If you as a company, paid for a three million dollar sponsorship, would you be happy to find out that another company paid one million to the team and two mil, to hire models and give away stuff? In the long run, would that be good for the teams?

Devallion,

As the ARMY is an "Official Partner" of NHRA, if the NAVY had recruiters walking through the pits handing out recruiting info, I guarantee DSR would be demanding that they (The NAVY) be told to stop.

Alan

Last edited:
The Skoal girls don't go to the ARMY pit, or the Bud pit, they stay in front of theirs. And BRUT was an official sponsor so that's different.

The bottom line is that there are rules. And the rule have been in place for a while. If you abide by them, then you don't have a problem. If you don't then you will be called on it.

OHHHHH, I get it now, thanks for clearing that up. IF they kick down some cash to NHRA, then it's cool, you know, as an "Official Sponsor" and all...

(Where is the obscene hand gesture smiley??) :rolleyes:

I love coca-cola I think its the greatest drink ever I drink it like water . I have always wondered though why they havent sponsered a car in so long .

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. When the NHRA not only consistently fills fields, but consistently has several alternates competing for the top 16 spots, then maybe, just maybe, they'll be in a position to incorporate this type of stuff. But the bottom line is, they're not NASCAR..................not even close.

There would be some that would argue that even the almighty NASCAR is even "struggling" with sponsorships as of late, but I can assure you, NHRA would welcome these "struggles". When the NHRA has sponsors knocking on their doors and standing in line waiting to get in, then you can offer some of this "exclusive" crap. But right now, you simply cannot make an argument for them being in that position. If a potential sponsor thinks they should be granted this type of exclusiveness, then maybe they should be reminded that they're not playing in a NASCAR level game, and if they want that type of exclusiveness, then they're more than welcome to pony up about 10-times more money and go over there and play. But that will never happen, because the fact of the matter is, they can't afford that or they would be doing it. Thus, you get what you pay for, and that's all the NHRA can offer at this time. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some special privileges given to the folks that step up with some extra coin for title rights level sponsors, but this grandfathering horsesh!t needs to cease for the time being. It should never be an issue because it shouldn't have ever existed. Back off on the outlawing of certain sponsors and the "official supplier" crap and allow some good ol' fashioned competition.

Trust me, it won't hurt a thing..........

Sean D

OHHHHH, I get it now, thanks for clearing that up. IF they kick down some cash to NHRA, then it's cool, you know, as an "Official Sponsor" and all...

That's right, you get what you pay for.

If I buy a general admission ticket, should I be able to sit in the TEC?

If I don't pay for premium parking is it OK to sneak in to the front row as long as nobody catches me?

If I pay for a T-shirt, can I just steal a jacket and if nobody sees me then no foul?

If you don't give special treatment to customers that pay extra, then how do you justify charging extra?

If you are in business then this makes sense, if you're not in business then I don't know how better to explain it.

Alan

Devallion,

As the ARMY is an "Official Partner" of NHRA, if the NAVY had recruiters walking through the pits handing out recruiting info, I guarantee DSR would be demanding that they (The NAVY) be told to stop.

Alan

Alan
I've never agreed with that either. I think it would be better if all the services could spend their recruiting dollars in NHRA. As a Marine I've always been slightly annoyed that the restrictions are such that we can't have a car on the NHRA side, I think we'd get more bang for our buck than on the NASCAR side which does have teams sponsored by all of the services. Okay I'll grant you that maybe the Rockstar girls need to stay in their box, but maybe the box shouldn't be so small.:D

S/F
D
PS: this is why I like this place no one here at work would know or care about what we're debating here.

Last edited:
I am wondering how a supposedly hetero guy can have any problem with the Rockstar girls. :confused:

If them wearing those shirts in front of another pit is so bad perhaps they should take them off! :D

As for Coke i think it's natural that people are going to buy and drink it because it's good. No need to advertize it. Those energy drinks on the other hand usually require a free sample handed out by a scantily clad babe to get me to drink it.

If I don't pay for premium parking is it OK to sneak in to the front row as long as nobody catches me?

If I pay for a T-shirt, can I just steal a jacket and if nobody sees me then no foul?

If you don't give special treatment to customers that pay extra, then how do you justify charging extra?

If you are in business then this makes sense, if you're not in business then I don't know how better to explain it.

Alan

ol.. your killing me....lol....

ok i understand the deal .. don't agree with it..but i understand it...but her's a question.. it was the Powerade Series... bunch of Energy drink companys come in... boom we switch to a Coke brand energy drink... control the exposure of your compeditors.. i get that..

but here's my question.. now that Powerade is gone as title.. can Gatorade or any one of the other "Sports" drinks come in to the NHRA?.. one of the multiple versions of Gatorade, G2 etc...or Vitamin Water etc.... Is it just energy drinks now?.. or can other soda marketers come to play now also?... Pepsi, Mt Dew, DR Pepper ( not owned by coke..just distributed in some parts of the country) RC Cola, Cheerwine...etc...

Billy

Alan
None of this applies to hot chicks. LMAO:p

Am I the only one who sees that this could be another rub with DSR and that ongoing, behind the scenes battle? If I were Don, I'd feel as if I were being singled out, again.

Am I the only one who sees that this could be another rub with DSR and that ongoing, behind the scenes battle? If I were Don, I'd feel as if I were being singled out, again.

Finally . . . the true conspiracy comes to light! We all know how sensitive Don is, restricting activities of the Rock Star girls will probably cause emotional devastation - :eek: Sorry Doc, just couldn't resist - :D

I was thinking more about the Sponsor's heartburn from all this. I happen to like Toliver and applaud his bringing new sponsors into our sport time and again. I'd hate to see them move on as a result of treatment.
My question was directed more at the continued banter between the sanctioning body and Don. Fuel, fines, scales, public announcements, loose ballast and now sponsorship restrictions? Maybe it's just collateral damage but it sure seems directed to the wrong camp again to me? Have no fear. As others deem me wrong on this, there will be no shortage of comments stating such.

Let's see.....there's already short fields in T/F, just barely 16 in Pro Stock Bike, just a few over 16 in F/C & Pro Stock.....so let's piss off existing sponsors so they don't renew next year, meaning there will be even less cars next year. Yeah, that's a real good idea. Just perhaps, if NHRA has a problem with the Rockstar girls, they could have a meeting with Rockstar and explain their position and work out a compromise. No, that makes too much sense. Perhaps they can bring in A/F dragsters to fill the T/F fields next year.

And how long did it take Tolliver to get that sponsorship? Don't imagine it's going to be that easy to find another one very soon.

No wonder I like nostalgia racing......

Ma Green

I want to be perfectly clear, I'm not bashing Rockstar. I'm glad that they are involved, and as I have known JT way back to his boat racing days, I'm glad that they are with him.

This is about rules. If Rockstar wanted to bring in 500 models, and give everyone who walked in the gate a free sample and a coupon for a case of the stuff should that be OK?

If you were Monster would that be OK?

If you were Full Throttle would it be OK?

You have to draw the line somewhere, and the line can't be crossed. If you let one company do it, then every company will want to do it. If you as a company, paid for a three million dollar sponsorship, would you be happy to find out that another company paid one million to the team and two mil, to hire models and give away stuff? In the long run, would that be good for the teams?

Devallion,

Alan

I understand what you are saying Alan,and yes you know me,but remember when the Army (Snake),and Bob Pickett (Marines) both had sponsership in the sport? I even think the Goose had the Navy at the same time.

I have been a fan of NHRA drag racing since 1976. Then I had to wait weeks to get the results but I waited. Time has slowly changed the sport I love.

Used to be that qualifying meant something. There were always more than 16 cars fighting to get into the field. This year, all a Top Fuel team has to do is show up and they are in the field.

Nothing against Tony but some points are basically been given to him because he has a bye run. Sure, his team is good and they earn that number one position but he is handed 20 points for that first round while the other contenders have to battle out of the first round. :(

With the energy drink sponsors being forced out by the NHRA decision, I can see Funny Car going the same direction.

I enjoy watching Jerry Toliver. I want Whit back as well as Dean. :p How many good drivers are sitting on the sidelines because of lack of sponsorship? Why isn't the top NHRA brass out there trying to bring in new sponsors rather than forcing them out?:eek:

When PowerAde became the series sponsor, I switched my husband from GatorAde to PowerAde. He works in a sand foundry and really needs the drink even in the Winter. The problem I have with that is just trying to find the drink. In the grocery store, there are five rows of GatorAde. PowerAde gets half of two rows. I could never understand why there was such a lack of promotion of their product.

When the series switches over to Full Throttle, they lose me as a customer. For medical reasons I CAN NOT drink any of the energy drinks and I mean NONE of them.

All I want is for the people who control the decisions at the NHRA to get their heads out of their asses and start working to improve the sport. Go out and bring in new sponsors or soon they will be in charge of a sport that no longer has any competitors.

They need to end this dictatorship style of leading, become part of the solution not part of the problem.

Alan [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

That's not what I'm saying Alan. I'm saying the NHRA isn't in the position to offer exclusives to this degree. We've pounded it into the ground a million times, but you can't ignore the sub-par participation numbers at the professional level, so when you grant these moronic exclusives to outlaw the participation of competitive brands, the problem is only going to be made worse.

You say that if you're in business, this makes sense. Well, these companies that are being able to come in at the top of the heap of the NHRA for a fraction of what it would cost at the top level of motorsports should also be amenable to some exceptions they wouldn't necessarily have to deal with if they were spending 10-times the money, plain and simple. You may not get all of the exclusives that you were hoping for, but then again, you're spending a whole lot less money, and that needs to be factored in.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back