NHRA Sportsman Racing Question (1 Viewer)

Dave

Nitro Member
My Dad asked me a question that after much thought, I could not answer. He asked me what has NHRA done in the last few years to help the Sportsman Racers? I gave it a lot of thought and simply could not think of anything - I just draw a total blank. I figured I would ask this question here so maybe I could answer my Dad's question.

Dave

My Dad asked me a question that after much thought, I could not answer. He asked me what has NHRA done in the last few years to help the Sportsman Racers? I gave it a lot of thought and simply could not think of anything - I just draw a total blank. I figured I would ask this question here so maybe I could answer my Dad's question.

Dave

Well they have "helped" us by raising entry fees and looseing manufactures pay outs. I nat. or div. win pays about half of what it used to.

Dave

UUHHHH, NOTHING!!!
:mad::mad::mad:

Well, for starters they give me a place to race my car. They could throw in the towel and close the lake then everything I own would be worthless unless I could find a tractor puller that needed my stuff.

In light of the current economy and the EPA crackdowns I'm happy to still be out there and still have a place to race. But I suppose the intent of this thread is to, once again, trash the NHRA on Nitromater.

Have at it.

RG

Well, for starters they give me a place to race my car. They could throw in the towel and close the lake then everything I own would be worthless unless I could find a tractor puller that needed my stuff.

In light of the current economy and the EPA crackdowns I'm happy to still be out there and still have a place to race. But I suppose the intent of this thread is to, once again, trash the NHRA on Nitromater.

Have at it.

RG

Randy,
Good point... it must not be too bad... we will wait in line for days to pay our $$$... And I realy like our Div director... Mike Rice.. hes allways treated me well.

I don't often agree with Randy, but he has a pretty good point here. While racing at national events isn't a lot of fun for a sportsman (kind of like being the bearded lady in the circus... not a lot of respect), divisional events are pretty much all about the sportsman racer. Sure the alky guys get all the attention at a divisional, but you get a good safe place to race, a whole crew of people who care about making sure it's all fair and fun, and the tracks generally want to make the show work for everyone.

In D6 our division director Jonathan Adams is a good guy who always tries his best to make things work for us. He and his crew are open to suggestions, and, like most folks return what you give them. You show them some respect, you get it back. The only time I ever see people get in trouble is when they're whiners or a-holes who pretty much deserve what they get.

So, is everything sweetness and light? Nope. Does it suck? Nope. Are we racing pretty much every weekend at NHRA events and/or at NHRA tracks? You bet.

They added Top Sportsman and Top Dragster (what, maybe 7 years ago for the first divisions, this year for Nationals).

Sure, we always want more, but I appreciate the quality of the tracks we get to race on, and yes, once in a while, it's neat to do it in front of a bunch of people.

I don't often agree with Randy, but he has a pretty good point here. While racing at national events isn't a lot of fun for a sportsman (kind of like being the bearded lady in the circus... not a lot of respect), divisional events are pretty much all about the sportsman racer. Sure the alky guys get all the attention at a divisional, but you get a good safe place to race, a whole crew of people who care about making sure it's all fair and fun, and the tracks generally want to make the show work for everyone.

In D6 our division director Jonathan Adams is a good guy who always tries his best to make things work for us. He and his crew are open to suggestions, and, like most folks return what you give them. You show them some respect, you get it back. The only time I ever see people get in trouble is when they're whiners or a-holes who pretty much deserve what they get.

So, is everything sweetness and light? Nope. Does it suck? Nope. Are we racing pretty much every weekend at NHRA events and/or at NHRA tracks? You bet.

I just ran outside to see if the sky was blue!

To put it in perspective, I have a friend up north who knows a lot of people who are out of work right now. He says "I know I've said all along my job sucks. Well, it still sucks, but it sucks a lot less than the alternative."

RG

Dave

What exactly do Sportsman racers expect from the NHRA, other than a place to race?

Sorry folks - I did it again. I must be getting old and starting to forget things. I know I shouldn't ask questions on nitromater. My Dad asked me this question, I couldn't come up with anything, so I posted it on the site. I was trying to get an answer from someone in the know - somebody who can still afford to race. I wasn't trying to trash the NHRA, I was just asking a question. I guess I could have asked the question differently, but I couldn't come up with any other way to ask it - I'm not an english major or Bill Shakespeare. Sadly, it looks like I must have stepped on somebody's feel-goods again because people are pissed. It was a simple question folks, not an attack. If you all hate me so much, give me my damn dollar back and I'll go away. SORRY SORRY SORRY!!!

Dave

You have to look at National events for sportman for what it is, a social event to hang out with guys you only get to see a few times a year. The new electronic registering and such is also nice, keeps the waiting in lines down, so there.....there is something they have done to make racing a better experience.

However, the rising cost of entry (and hidden cost they put in such as surcharges, and increased crew cost), and the total lack of respect and general attitude at national event is horrible. They often forget that we are the customer, and the 400 sportman cars paying 500 hundred to race (or more) for the weekend to win a couple grand....along with the membership fees is what keeps them wearing their little suits and putting food on their plates (yea sponsorship helps but those are also dollars they are stealing from race teams that don't have cash rolling into them in membership fees).....so I don't owe the NHRA nothing for giving me a place to race.

Think of it this way, if I we all payed my grandma the money we pay NHRA she could do the same thing, give us a great place to race.....because it would be her freaking job....what she gets paid for...you know. If I come out and my trash man didn't take out my trash I wouldn't say "well he left all my stinking crap in my driveway but at least he left me a trash can to keep it in" ....I would say "that jerk didn't hold up his side of the bargain and I think I'll find someone else to do it"....by the way.....did I mention that I'm not racing at HPT this year (fist time since '88) just for that reason...too expensive, not enough "fun".

No matter your feelings about NHRA as a sportsman racer or fan, the simple fact is that it couldn't exist without the Lucas family, at least not in any type of capacity it has now. Just wanna say thanks to the Lucases.

As for the rest of it, youz payz your money and youz takes youz chances.

You have to look at National events for sportman for what it is, a social event to hang out with guys you only get to see a few times a year. The new electronic registering and such is also nice, keeps the waiting in lines down, so there.....there is something they have done to make racing a better experience.

However, the rising cost of entry (and hidden cost they put in such as surcharges, and increased crew cost), and the total lack of respect and general attitude at national event is horrible. They often forget that we are the customer, and the 400 sportman cars paying 500 hundred to race (or more) for the weekend to win a couple grand....along with the membership fees is what keeps them wearing their little suits and putting food on their plates (yea sponsorship helps but those are also dollars they are stealing from race teams that don't have cash rolling into them in membership fees).....so I don't owe the NHRA nothing for giving me a place to race.

Think of it this way, if I we all payed my grandma the money we pay NHRA she could do the same thing, give us a great place to race.....because it would be her freaking job....what she gets paid for...you know. If I come out and my trash man didn't take out my trash I wouldn't say "well he left all my stinking crap in my driveway but at least he left me a trash can to keep it in" ....I would say "that jerk didn't hold up his side of the bargain and I think I'll find someone else to do it"....by the way.....did I mention that I'm not racing at HPT this year (fist time since '88) just for that reason...too expensive, not enough "fun".

Thanks Keith. Couldn't said it better myself. :)
And Chris, dead on with a zero. Thank you very much Lucas family.

No matter your feelings about NHRA as a sportsman racer or fan, the simple fact is that it couldn't exist without the Lucas family, at least not in any type of capacity it has now. Just wanna say thanks to the Lucases.

Agreed. Good thing they like racing in general and that Charlotte enjoys it personally.

I'll back that up-I bet there isn't a sportsman racer who doesn't cheer for Charlotte every time she gets in her car, with the possible exception of the person in the other lane.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back