elevated shut-downs (1 Viewer)

wilbur

Nitro Member
Can you nitro wizards answer a question for me? Iv`e noticed on t.v, how the shut-down areas look like they`re sloped,from the finish line, to the sand trap. Ive wondered about this for awhile. I`ve always figured it was engineered that way, to help slow the cars down. I guess it could be an optical illussion.. But I`m thinking the prior. Also, has anyone noticed when they shoot the bikes from the side, at speed, the trailing edge of the rear tire looks flat, or squared off (vertical), I gotta believe this is an optical illussion.What do you think. Thanks again.

I know some tracks, like Bandimere in Denver I believe, are very much uphill, and I can't remember where but I read that upill shutdowns really help slow the cars and bikes down.

The uphill shutdowns are exactly that, uphill. It depends on where the track was built. Vegas and Denver are two significant examples. Some are flat, and I would guess that some are even downhill.

Regarding the trailing edge of the rear tire looking “flat” on PSB’s, I have never really noticed it, obviously it is very pronounced on the Fuel cars. The reason that the fuel cars have the flat section of the tire on the trailing edge is that due to the down force being placed on the tires, the contact patch is actually going slower that the grown parts of the tire. As the part of the tire leaves the ground it needs to “accelerate” to catch up to the rest of the tire and as a result it is flattened/straightened…… at least that’s what the tire article I read a while ago said!

Downhill for Maple Grove.............with a public road going through the middle of it! Good thing there's a crossing guard back there!

Thats dumb as hell that someone set an event with cars that quick at that track and even dumber that the drivers went down it. Lucky no one got hurt.
I wonder how many pairs of boots that biker went through. He had them draggin from the finish lane each pass

The two extremes are:

For uphill, Medford, oregon. The track goes up at a huge angle. On our fuel bikes, which can't make the chicane at the last turn out, they run the bikes then have them all coast back down the track towards the start line and you get picked up by the tow vehicle somewhere on the track. I can get coasting back down the track fast enough to make it all the way to about the 300' mark. probably doing close to 40 mph coming back down the hill. Even at 200 mph you can almost stop without brakes before the top of the track.

For downhill, Prince George BC. The track breaks off so sharply at the finish line that at speeds of about 180 mph or so, you can feel yourself coming off the seat. You can't even see most of the shut down from the starting line since it curves down so quickly.

Neither one is on my list of favorite tracks.

so I`m guessin n.h.r.a does`nt have a rule, or a guideline, or a spec. requireing nat. event tracks, to have this sort of set-up. Did`nt think so, makes to much sense. Those pro-mods were running on a sixteenth mile track,l.o.l. I thought national trail raceway was bad. Damn.

Isn't the ADRL guy the one that is all about safety and he says running the full quarter mile is too dangerous for his drivers?! And yet he stages an event at that track? All those drivers get exactly what they deserve if they wad 'em up down there. Just plain stupid.

And BTW, the entire strip at Pomona is downhill. Thirteen foot difference in elavation from the starting line to the finish line at 1320'.

Isn't the ADRL guy the one that is all about safety and he says running the full quarter mile is too dangerous for his drivers?! And yet he stages an event at that track? All those drivers get exactly what they deserve if they wad 'em up down there. Just plain stupid.

That is the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the video. I even double checked to make sure I was reading it right that it was an ADRL race. I know I read an article about how dangerous he thinks 1/4 mile racing is.

I think it just comes down to the lay of the land and the money available when the track is built. It's one thing to pay a fortune to get a flat quarter mile to race on, but cost would become exponential when adding another quarter mile for shutdown.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back