NHRA schedule announcement ? (1 Viewer)

BOO BOO

Nitro Member
I though that the NHRA was making announcement about the 2020 schedule yesterday? Did I miss something?

NHRA MELLO YELLO DRAG RACING RETUNS BEGINNING WITH TWO INDIANAPOLIS EVENTS IN JULY
NHRA Drag Racing will return to the world stage in a major way in mid-July, relaunching its Mello Yello Drag Racing Series and associated programs with events on back-to-back weekends at famed Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis.
The two events will be run on consecutive weeks, July 11-12 and July 18-19 at the home of the newly-sponsored Denso Spark Plugs NHRA U.S. Nationals and serve as the launch point for 15 more NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series events that will follow beginning two weeks later in Seattle. The season will conclude with the crowning of the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series champions November 13-15 at the Auto Club NHRA Finals at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona.
Sixteen of the events on the revised schedule will be condensed to two-day competition schedules for the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series classes due to economic and logistical factors. This will entail one day of qualifications (two rounds) on Saturday and Final Eliminations on Sunday. Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series classes will begin racing on Friday.
July 11-12 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing, Indianapolis
July 18-19
NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing, Indianapolis
July 31-Aug. 2
Flav-R-Pac NHRA Northwest Nationals, Seattle
Aug. 7-9
Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals, Denver
Aug. 14-16
Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals, Brainerd, Minn.
Aug. 21-23
Menards NHRA Heartland Nationals, Topeka, Kan.
Aug. 28-30
NHRA Southern Nationals, Atlanta
Sept. 3-6
Denso Spark Plugs NHRA U.S. Nationals*, Indianapolis
Sept. 11-13
Mopar Express Lane NHRA Nationals, Reading, Pa.
Sept. 18-20
NGK Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals, Charlotte
Sept. 25-27
Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals, Gainesville, Fla.
Oct. 2-4
AAA Insurance NHRA Midwest Nationals, St. Louis
Oct. 9-11
NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals, Bristol, Tenn.
Oct. 16-18
AAA Texas NHRA FallNationals, Dallas
Oct. 23-25
Mopar Express Lane NHRA SpringNationals, Houston
Oct. 30-Nov. 1
Dodge NHRA Nationals, Las Vegas
Nov. 13-15
Auto Club NHRA Finals, Pomona, Calif.
Schedule subject to change due to evolving facts and guidelines
All events listed above will contest the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series on Saturday and Sunday only
*The U.S. Nationals will have one Mello Yello Drag Racing Series qualifying round on Friday and two rounds on Saturday, followed by Eliminations on Sunday

Limited crowds in indy,hmmmm i hate crowds?maybe we should go there lol
Who knew being a NHRA member would have an added benefit such as this. My kid has a baseball tournmant in Indy the 2nd race weekend, so that's going to work out good for me. Send the wife and kid to the ball game, I will head to the track :).

Yes, the countdown is off for this year. This is a very agressive schedule and I hope they are able to get it done. The Seattle race is questionable as the state is still in Phase 1 and does not expect to have any large sporting events (Phase 4) until late in the year at best. They have said no large sporting events, concerts, etc. this year.
We shall see. At least we have a start.

Not buying my tickets just yet. Gonna see how this all plays out. We'd planned on going to Seattle and the Finals this year, but the Washington and California Governors might just say no go to the races in their states.

I am happy that it seems to be ready to work out the way they proposed. 17 events in 19 weeks...and 14 straight. Forget loading up unless you are passing your shop. It would be a pretty neat tv show about how you load up a race team for 15 straight races without going home to reload. I guess UPS, FedEx or DHL are going to have a lot of business soon. I wish everyone the best, I would not be surprised if teams could swing this, but I think we all know it is going to get ugly for a few teams with resources when and where they need them. We all see there is only 2 free weekends 7/25 and 11/7. Rain could really foul all of this up as well.

So, how many think that the governers of some of these states will make some decisions that change the schedule? (Writer has hand raised in the air)......

Patrick,

They will be home more than you might think, Seattle and Denver, they would stay out as always, but it's just over 16 hours from Denver to Brownsburg so they'll go home then.
Brownsburg to Topeka is less than 9 hours.
Brownsburg to Atlanta, 9 hours.
Probably stay out Reading, Charlotte, Gainesville, then home.
Brownsburg to Madison, 4 hours.
Home before and after Bristol.
Then I guess the Houston event could go either way as it's 15 hours back to Brownsburg, then a long haul to Vegas.

With the Pro's just running two days it's and extra day to get home if needed, and I would bet then DSR and JFR have already come up with a system to have a parts truck running back and forth. I would also bet they have told the other teams based there, that they will help with freight. For instance if Torrence or Cruz needed something it would seem to me that they would throw it on whatever track was making the trip that time.

Anybody remember Cowboy? He would love this LoL

Just my thoughts (and Google Maps)
Alan

Patrick,

They will be home more than you might think, Seattle and Denver, they would stay out as always, but it's just over 16 hours from Denver to Brownsburg so they'll go home then.
Brownsburg to Topeka is less than 9 hours.
Brownsburg to Atlanta, 9 hours.
Probably stay out Reading, Charlotte, Gainesville, then home.
Brownsburg to Madison, 4 hours.
Home before and after Bristol.
Then I guess the Houston event could go either way as it's 15 hours back to Brownsburg, then a long haul to Vegas.

With the Pro's just running two days it's and extra day to get home if needed, and I would bet then DSR and JFR have already come up with a system to have a parts truck running back and forth. I would also bet they have told the other teams based there, that they will help with freight. For instance if Torrence or Cruz needed something it would seem to me that they would throw it on whatever track was making the trip that time.

Anybody remember Cowboy? He would love this LoL

Just my thoughts (and Google Maps)
Alan
I saw Cowboy many times. One time with a funny car body on the top!

Who knew being a NHRA member would have an added benefit such as this. My kid has a baseball tournmant in Indy the 2nd race weekend, so that's going to work out good for me. Send the wife and kid to the ball game, I will head to the track :).
Bet your kid will appreciate you going to the races for the five hundreth time, instead of his once in his age group baseball tournament.
At least your wife is going.

Last edited:
I am happy that it seems to be ready to work out the way they proposed. 17 events in 19 weeks...and 14 straight. Forget loading up unless you are passing your shop. It would be a pretty neat tv show about how you load up a race team for 15 straight races without going home to reload. I guess UPS, FedEx or DHL are going to have a lot of business soon. I wish everyone the best, I would not be surprised if teams could swing this, but I think we all know it is going to get ugly for a few teams with resources when and where they need them. We all see there is only 2 free weekends 7/25 and 11/7. Rain could really foul all of this up as well.
the big guys will help support the smaller teams. They all need someone to race

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back