NHRA PRO QUALIFYING RULE (1 Viewer)

There was an interview years ago with Wally Parks regarding payouts. It was in the early 80’s when Raymond Beadle had the funny car championship. I can’t remember the exact words that I read in the interview and I can’t find the magazine but long story short was that Wally Parks never intended anyone to get rich or even make money from drag racing. It was right when people were starting to spend huge money and he literally thought they were nuts spending that much.

NASCAR was always about money, NHRA in Wally Parks mind was never intended to be a path to wealth. Sort of like how NHRA is a non profit organisation, where as NASCAR is and has been from the very beginning a for profit private company.

Last edited:
Wally made his feelings on payouts many times. The money belonged to NHRA and he was not concerned about the payout to racers. NHRA has the largest number of members of all motor sports but the members have no voting rights. All the rules are made by the highly paid NHRA executives only, who as we all know have a tremendous amount of drag racing experience.

Guys get over it. There is no Motorsport on earth that pays enough purse money to cover the expenses to run a car, let alone actually MAKE money. NHRA is not unique in this regard. I’m talking purse money BTW. A driver who is paid a salary plus a percentage of winnings can make a few bucks, but if you own the team, you’d need to be underwritten by marketing partners to make any money. I’m by no means saying NHRA purses shouldn’t be increased, especially for the pros.

Guys get over it. There is no Motorsport on earth that pays enough purse money to cover the expenses to run a car, let alone actually MAKE money. NHRA is not unique in this regard. I’m talking purse money BTW. A driver who is paid a salary plus a percentage of winnings can make a few bucks, but if you own the team, you’d need to be underwritten by marketing partners to make any money. I’m by no means saying NHRA purses shouldn’t be increased, especially for the pros.

I think the gripe has always been that winning money on the NHRA side is competing with back of the pack money from nascar.

I think the gripe has always been that winning money on the NHRA side is competing with back of the pack money from nascar.

Apples and oranges. NASCAR has a TV contract that starts with a "B" and a title sponsor that pays in the tens of millions of dollars. NASCAR sells WAY more tickets (even if attendance is down) and WAY more merchandise (T-Shirts, etc). NHRA has historically PAID to be on TV, the title sponsor is under 10 million, they sell way less tickets and merchandise. So where does the money come from for NASCAR-type payouts?

Apples and oranges. NASCAR has a TV contract that starts with a "B" and a title sponsor that pays in the tens of millions of dollars. NASCAR sells WAY more tickets (even if attendance is down) and WAY more merchandise (T-Shirts, etc). NHRA has historically PAID to be on TV, the title sponsor is under 10 million, they sell way less tickets and merchandise. So where does the money come from for NASCAR-type payouts?

What you just described is the problem people have been trying to solve for a long long time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back