NHRA PRO QUALIFYING RULE (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
The qualifying rule for the Pro cars can cause less than 16 cars racing on Sunday even when there are more than 16 cars at the race. An example is today's race where Todd Simpson was qualified #15 but could not make the race because he damaged his car during qualifying. Jim Campbell was the #17 qualifier and didn't race. So on Sunday Jack Beckman got a first round single. Because of NHRA's wonderful rules the spectators get screwed out of a race. The rule should be changed so if a qualified car can't make the Sunday show and there are more than 16 cars that have made a qualifying run the ladder field should be filled by the 1st unqualified car which would become #16 and the rest of the cars move up in the qualifying order until the open spot is filled.
The spectators pay their hard earned money to see a full field, not a short field race because of some stupid rule.

You must study the history of that rule first! Some call it the "Paul Smith Rule"...……..he would make the show, then sell his spot to the highest non-qualified bidder.

The qualifying rule for the Pro cars can cause less than 16 cars racing on Sunday even when there are more than 16 cars at the race. An example is today's race where Todd Simpson was qualified #15 but could not make the race because he damaged his car during qualifying. Jim Campbell was the #17 qualifier and didn't race. So on Sunday Jack Beckman got a first round single. Because of NHRA's wonderful rules the spectators get screwed out of a race. The rule should be changed so if a qualified car can't make the Sunday show and there are more than 16 cars that have made a qualifying run the ladder field should be filled by the 1st unqualified car which would become #16 and the rest of the cars move up in the qualifying order until the open spot is filled.
The spectators pay their hard earned money to see a full field, not a short field race because of some stupid rule.
The rule was implemented because of qualifiers selling their spot by saying they were broke

Understand the Paul Smith rule, but in the event of a obviously damaged car and it cannot be repaired by Sunday morning say 09:00 then the#17 car should be used.

They didn't get screwed over from anything. The only stupid thing here is you opening your mouth. If you don't run quick enough you don't get in that's that!!!

When I was running Comp Eliminator I got into a race once by qualifying 33 and another racer broke so I was in. I was going to argue that should be the case in the Pro series but I had no idea about the Paul Smith rule. To bad jerks like that screwed it up. Sounds like a ligit rule to me know.

I don't remember exactly when the no alternate rule came in place, but it was around the early 1990's. It only applies to the Mello Yello professional series cars. All sportsman classes and I think (but not 100%) Pro Mod allow for alternates to be added. I understand the fan perspective of feeling slighted on the show when there are other cars that could potentially race, but the rule is a good one. Todd had his troubles on the very first run down the racetrack, so everyone had 4 shots to beat his time and could not. No provisionals here! (Except that one time there was a top 10 in points and only 1 session complete rule... and the time they had that top 12 rule so you could have a quick enough time to qualify get thrown out...)

I know why the rule was implemented but as I said it's dumb the way it works today. Today if you don't have a full field then the #1 qualifier gets the bye run, but if there is a full field and one car can't make it then the car it would have raced gets the bye which gives that car a advantage by winning without racing anyone - no risk of losing. If anyone should get the bye it should be the #1 qualifier.
Before the current rule was put in place you could sell your spot to anyone you wanted. There were also many more cars running then and there were people who were willing to buy their way into the show. Didn't happen often but it did happen. Never had to worry about filling the field. The Paul Smith rule was implemented to stop that, it did.
NHRA payout is $10,000 to qualify and $3,000 for #'s 17 & 18. I would bet if Jim Dunn (#17 qualifier car owner) had been asked if he would run the 1st round as a filler he would have agreed, the sponsor exposure would be worth it and there is, as we have seen, a chance of getting lucky and winning the 1st round and there would have been a full field. With the smaller number of cars today the rule needs to be looked at.

Because of NHRA's wonderful rules the spectators get screwed out of a race.

Yeah one race out of 15 for that given class. I'm pretty sure the fans don't really care.

The rule is in place to maintain the integrity of the race itself. Otherwise there's potential for people to show up, make a half pass and buy their way into the field on Sunday. I'm sure it's cheaper to pay for a spot than it is to make 4 runs in an attempt to properly qualify.

That rule has been in effect since before the countdown. I could imagine when it gets to crunch time, you could see some wheeling and dealing for bigger teams paying the round fee to sub in a driver who couldn't get down the track.

I was at Indy in the ‘90s when Michael Bartone got in the TAD field as an alternate and ending up winning! The rule seemed more necessary back when there were even bigger budgeted pro teams occasionally not qualifying and buying their way in. Now that track prep has caused a more level playing field, it’s probably not a bad idea to keep the rule the way it is.

I would do away with the rule altogether. It was put in place at a different time and when you had more than 16 cars showing up. Now, qualifying is mostly a test session

Virgil, do you know what the payout for T/F & F/C is for each meet. Qualifying XX$, etc. I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Thanks

I don't understand how it would have been the team that "broke" that determines who takes their place. All that had to be said is the first non-qualifier gets the open spot. Happens all the time on a local level with many classes.

The last straw was in Atlanta. Paul waited until the last minute to claim to be broken so NHRA went to #17 and he was in the trailer unable to get ready, same with #18. When they went to #19 he just happened to be out, warmed up and on the ground ready to race. That was the car who's sponsor bought the spot. Just happened that the car's sponsor also sponsored the race and wanted their car as a participant in 1st round.

Payouts are a closely guarded secret. I think because they are so small compared to other major motorsports.

I believe the winners’ check in the fuel classes is still $50,000, except for Indy which I remember being $100k.

The last straw was in Atlanta. Paul waited until the last minute to claim to be broken so NHRA went to #17 and he was in the trailer unable to get ready, same with #18. When they went to #19 he just happened to be out, warmed up and on the ground ready to race. That was the car who's sponsor bought the spot. Just happened that the car's sponsor also sponsored the race and wanted their car as a participant in 1st round.

Payouts are a closely guarded secret. I think because they are so small compared to other major motorsports.
I remember in '96 @ Reading, Tom Hoover missed the show and was fuming because an unqualified Bazemore got to Smith before he did...Pioneer sponsored Hoover & the race

I remember in '96 @ Reading, Tom Hoover missed the show and was fuming because an unqualified Bazemore got to Smith before he did...Pioneer sponsored Hoover & the race

Hmmm, I thought Jeff Arend won his first race driving Paul Smiths car at Reading in '96. Seem to remember Jeff telling me the story, maybe I have the year wrong.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back