Break Rule (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
Back in the dark ages, before Funny Cars, we had what was called the Break Rule. The way it worked was if you raced someone and got beat but the winner couldn't come back for the next round you were put back in. It also went for qualifying - if there were 20 cars qualifying for a 16 car field and after qualifying was over one of the 16 qualified cars couldn't make the 1st round they went and put the next quickest car into the field.
This doesn't solve the problem of short fields but there have been several occasions this year in the PRO ranks that they ran a 15 car show when they had more cars and could have filled the field. Spectators want to see a race, not single runs.

I remember that. heh Sometimes it was Low ET loser that got back in the show. Just depended on what "break rule" the track ran. I saw races where driver got back in on the break rule until he got to the final, then won the race. If I remember right, Jeb Allen got to the final at Lions Last Race by being reinstated on the break rule. Well, he did go down in history as the Last Driver To Run Down The Track At Lions.

I would REALLY like to see alternates seeded back into the field again, like they still are in the sportsmen classes. Yesterday Jason Rupert couldn't make the call so there was yet another single in the 1st round. The pro alternates stopped being seeded in because a certain big buck racer(s) bought out a qualified car when in the hunt for a championship. With much fewer big buck cars around it's unlikely that will be an issue again. The fans need to see side by side races so I think NHRA needs to make this change.

What do you think Alan ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back