Once again the Friday 12 rule strikes..... (1 Viewer)

Both Diehl, and Hale are screwed by this rule, as are the spectators. After both cars ran low 4 sec ET's they are locked out of competition, yet a 6 sec car is in. :confused::mad:
When is NHRA going to drop this ridiculise rule???

Last edited:
Both Diehl, and Hale are screwed by this rule, as are the spectators. After both cars ran low 4 sec ET's they are locked out of competition, yet a 6 sec car is in. :confused::mad:
When is NHRA going to drop this ridiculise rule???

This didn't sneak up on anyone.

Would you rather have teams sit out the final two passes on Saturday? Having 8 cars run on Saturday wouldn't pass the smell test, would it?

Hale and Dehl was screwed MORE when the timing system FAILED in Q4 aand NHRA threw their times out! NOW seems to me the NHRA timing FAILED and NOT the drivers........ so NHRA No Honor for Racers ASSociation again fubared! #16 was a 6 second pass, Hale and Steve P had RUN mid 4's so what is fair??
Saw on the qualifying show 2 people was seriously pissed One was From Dehl's team and Steve P. was close by.......

[QUOTE="Greg Moon, post: 331646, member: 9"
Would you rather have teams sit out the final two passes on Saturday? Having 8 cars run on Saturday wouldn't pass the smell test, would it?[/QUOTE

Soon it will be , why bother making Fri. Q1 & Q2 if they aren't gonna count 13 -14 -15-or 16..........

Hale and Dehl was screwed MORE when the timing system FAILED in Q4 aand NHRA threw their times out! NOW seems to me the NHRA timing FAILED and NOT the drivers........ so NHRA No Honor for Racers ASSociation again fubared! #16 was a 6 second pass, Hale and Steve P had RUN mid 4's so what is fair??
Saw on the qualifying show 2 people was seriously pissed One was From Dehl's team and Steve P. was close by.......

Throwing Q times out happens quite a bit also. Everytime a car takes out the blocks ahead of someone else, both cars ET's are not counted. Not new. Neither are timing malfunctions.

Again, not a new thing.

If you hate the No Honor for Racers ASSociation, why do you watch it and then get so wound up when situations that are clearly spelled out in the rules come up?

Or is it just this weeks "I am cool, so today I am going to biatch about NHRA for this" thread?

[QUOTE="clipper Wallace, post: 331648, member: 7776" NOW seems to me the NHRA timing FAILED and NOT the drivers........ #16 was a 6 second pass, Hale and Steve P had RUN mid 4's so what is fair?? ....[/QUOTE]

Yer right, they should have been given a re-run. Like you said timing failed, NOT the drivers.

[QUOTE="Greg Moon, post: 331646, member: 9"
Would you rather have teams sit out the final two passes on Saturday? Having 8 cars run on Saturday wouldn't pass the smell test, would it?[/QUOTE

Soon it will be , why bother making Fri. Q1 & Q2 if they aren't gonna count 13 -14 -15-or 16..........

I don't think you understand how this works.

Diehl starts to drop cylinders right off the line and then has the parachutes open. Backfire?

Hale get way down track before his engine starts to get unhappy. There are dropped cylinders, a flash from the blower, and a little fire from underneath the body.

There were no time on the scoreboard or on our computer feed, so it's a timing problem.

I would guess Diehl wasn't going to make it anyway, timing or not, and possibly Hale either. If they both blistered the quart... 1,000 foot and no times came up, I could see the relevance of a re-run. In this instance I think it didn't matter, why get another chance.

[QUOTE="clipper Wallace, post: 331648, member: 7776" NOW seems to me the NHRA timing FAILED and NOT the drivers........ #16 was a 6 second pass, Hale and Steve P had RUN mid 4's so what is fair?? ....

Yer right, they should have been given a re-run. Like you said timing failed, NOT the drivers.[/QUOTE]

Diehl dropped cylinders right off the line and the chutes deployed almost immediately. Why should he get a rerun for that?

I have NEVER been a fan of the top 12 qualifying on Friday. This is a classic example. Yes, this is a bitch about the NHRA thread as Greg points out, but several teams were wronged by a system that exonerates the NHRA from any wrongdoing. I guess that's my issue with the decision. I get it if one of the cars takes out the blocks, but that was not the case here.

The way I understand it is : no mater how quick you run on Fri. if you qualify 13,14,15, or 16, the run doesn't count. Doesn't mater if you pass tech,
or not, nhra treats it like it never happened. Now on Sat. it doesn't mater how, SLOW you go, if yer 13,14,15, or 16,...it counts. :confused::confused:

I have NEVER been a fan of the top 12 qualifying on Friday. This is a classic example. Yes, this is a bitch about the NHRA thread as Greg points out, but several teams were wronged by a system that exonerates the NHRA from any wrongdoing. I guess that's my issue with the decision. I get it if one of the cars takes out the blocks, but that was not the case here.

Diehl for sure, and most likely Hale, would not have put up a number that would have put them in the field.

Remember why this rule came about. Because people were bitching because low dollar teams were not running Q1, and if they made it in the field on a Q2 pass, they might not get the car out of the box at all until Sunday morning.

NHRA can't win for nothin' in this situation.

If they force them to run to appease ticket holders, it pisses people off.
If they let the teams decide to make 1 pass to get into the field, it pisses other people off.

Because even with the chutes and a hole out he MAY have beat a 6.24 @ 99mph

You can't say that with any certainty.

And, in many cases, someone who is just a tick behind someone who takes out the timing blocks would be in the show (or maybe even qualified better). Should they let them have a re-run as well?

Like I said, this is not a new rule, and everyone knew it when they pulled into the gate this weekend.

Maybe, just maybe, if you put together a tune to make it down the track when your back is against the wall instead of trying to run a number you don't need to get into the show, this becomes a moot point.

They did. Jeff Diehl ran 4.25, John Hale ran 4.40. Peter Russo ran only once, Q3, and ran 6.24.
Diehl & Hale are out, Russo is in (2 sec. slower) how is THAT fair???

Again,,,,, this is not a new rule. They all knew what they needed to do to get into the show when they pulled in the gate. They knew what it would take after Q2. They knew what it was going to take going into Q4.

What purpose is this complaining serving? Are you pissed that Russo made it in on one pass? Or that Deihl and Hale didn't? What?

If you want to go back to every pass counts for qualifying propose it. But before you go down that road, remember what prompted the rules change in the first place.

Where the cars ended up after Q2 was the final order more often than not. Or at least pretty damn close.

Some cars that made it in in Q2 never made a pass the Q3 and 4 sessions. So, in some instances (including on the western swing) you saw 12 cars make passes on Saturday. That really sells tickets, huh?

Spoke to John, car computer was 4.25 @ 1000ft
Known Plueger a long time and he really doesn't get upset because that's not logical, but he's pissed
Force & several crew chiefs tried to talk to officials and they didn't want to hear it
Common sense is not one of NHRA's strong suits

What would you have them do? Just throw the rules out and let them race?

Do you want to be the one to tell Densham and Russo to pack their trailers and get off the property because they aren't in the show? And make sure you clarify that, the rules say one thing, but we are going to throw those out and let these other two teams run. Sorry about that.

Again, and nobody wants to acknowledge it, the rule is quite clear and has been in place for what, 6 or 7 years now?

If you want small, predetermined, prepaid fields, go to an IHRA race.

Not po'ed Russo made it in, in one pass. PO'ed that a 6.24 gets in over a 4.25 & 4.40.

Should EVERY run count, YES. If you pass tech all runs should count. The 16 quickest 16 should race` on Sun.

[QUOTE="Greg Moon, post: 331670, member: 9"
Some cars that made it in in Q2 never made a pass the Q3 and 4 sessions. [/QUOTE]

Nothing in the rules say you have to make a run in Q3 or Q4............

Not po'ed Russo made it in, in one pass. PO'ed that a 6.24 gets in over a 4.25 & 4.40.

Should EVERY run count, YES. If you pass tech all runs should count. The 16 quickest 16 should race` on Sun.

[QUOTE="Greg Moon, post: 331670, member: 9"
Some cars that made it in in Q2 never made a pass the Q3 and 4 sessions.

Nothing in the rules say you have to make a run in Q3 or Q4............[/QUOTE]

AGAIN, The rule has been in place for what, 7 years? Everyone knows it when they pull in the gate, right?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back