Once again the Friday 12 rule strikes..... (1 Viewer)

Man, I cannot wait for 8-car NHRA pro fields, hopefully they will adjust the rule to protect the Quick 6.

If the racers are expected to act and race professionally, it is not too much to ask that the sanctioning body do the same and that does not happen often, anymore.

Unfortunately, the potential remedies for restoring relevance to the National Hot Rod Association were taken to the grave with Wally Parks.

Yes but, just because we have a rule, doesn't mean it's a good rule. The intention may have been good, but it's back firing.
Time to drop the rule.

And how do you deal with teams not making any passes on Saturday? Just tell the fans to piss off, you paid for a show, but you get what you get?

This is not backfiring. At least not any more than someone taking out the timing blocks in front of a non qualifier. How do you intend on dealing with that in your new HRA?

You keep quoting the rules.........there is no rule that you have to make more than one Q pass.

If you want to see cars race, go on Sun. Qualifying is just that. As you stated , the fans knew when they come thru the gate that there is
no guarantee how many cars will run.

Greg "ALL MIGHTY" Moon
I forgot that if you're involved in a thread nothing else matters.

What is your problem? You don't have to act like an ass-hole to me just because I am pointing out what the rule is and you just don't like it.

The rules are the rules.
Since when did Nitromater members decide when to enforce them and when not to?

Last edited:
You keep quoting the rules.........there is no rule that you have to make more than one Q pass.

If you want to see cars race, go on Sun. Qualifying is just that. As you stated , the fans knew when they come thru the gate that there is
no guarantee how many cars will run.

I am pointing out the rule that sets the provisional field at 12, and then expands to 16 on Saturday. I thought that was pretty apparent.

I never said anything about there being a rule that they had to make more than 1 Q pass, so don't make it seem like I did.

What the complaint was (and yes, it was on this very board too), was that cars that were not in the show after Friday night had virtually no chance of making the show on Saturdays. So, they tweeked the rules (and virtually every team was in agreement at the time), to set back 4 spots for Saturday qualifiers.

I didn't make the rule, I don't enforce it. But I am telling those who are complaining, that it IS a rule, EVERYONE knows what it is, and complaining about it, especially after not setting up a car to run a 4.50-5.00 to make the show is pretty weak.

And how do you deal with teams not making any passes on Saturday?

If a car is qualified or they choose not to make a pass on Saturday, who made you the Emperor? Deal with it, nobody is required to make passes all qualifying sessions... it isn't in the rules.

How many qualifying passes did Peter Russo make with a 2006 Monte Carlo Body?

But sir, thats just it.....they both did run under 4.50, but the runs were ignored. (under the current rule) and a 6.25 was allowed in.
The idea is to try to put on the best show for the fans, right??

Then why let two low 4 sec cars sit in the pits and a 6 sec car race??
And try explaining that to a sponsor....Well yes we were quicker than some other cars, but they get to race on Sun. and we don't. :confused:

If a car is qualified or they choose not to make a pass on Saturday, who made you the Emperor? Deal with it, nobody is required to make passes all qualifying sessions... it isn't in the rules.

How many qualifying passes did Peter Russo make with a 2006 Monte Carlo Body?

For someone who claims to be a journalist, you can't read for crap. I never said anyone was required to make all qualifying passes. How you ever came up with the idea I did is beyond me.

I also never said anyone made me Emperor. I am simply pointing out what the rule is, and how it came to be. How that makes me emperor is.... well, I will let you explain that one, because I have no idea where you got that idea.

Russo made 1. He played with fire. and didn't get burnt. All anyone else had to do to make the field instead of him was run a 6.23 t0day. They couldn't.

But sir, thats just it.....they both did run under 4.50, but the runs were ignored. (under the current rule) and a 6.25 was allowed in.
The idea is to try to put on the best show for the fans, right??

Then why let two low 4 sec cars sit in the pits and a 6 sec car race??
And try explaining that to a sponsor....Well yes we were quicker than some other cars, but they get to race on Sun. and we don't. :confused:

They did make passes that were quicker. But, under the rules they are thrown out. Why is it that hard for you to understand or accept?

So, this is about the rules?

It is about the qualifying procedures, or so I thought.

Hell, it might be about the personal shots aimed at me.
It might be about something else.

What would you like to make it about?

It will have to be something that ties into the whole "NHRA and Graham Light Suck and Nitromater Members know more about running races than any sanctioning series" theme. So adjust accordingly.

I understand it, I just don't agree with it. It hurts the sport, it gives the fan a lower quality show.

Again, that is debatable, which led to the rule change.

Is this situation, that happens about 1 time every 5 years or so, better or worse than seeing 3 teams who got in on Friday night under mineshaft conditions, not make a pass at all on Saturday?

A lot of people don't think it is. Remember, some of the well financed teams were getting left out on race day (particularly in pro stock) because they would go into tire shake on Friday nights pass. So, is it better to give everyone not in a chance at 1 of 4 spots, or have everyone not in shoot for 1, maybe 2 spots, if the weather and track cooperates?

I suppose the NHRA could do like DRO does their NFC shows. Just allow the teams that you want to race in the gate, nobody else. Thankfully they don't work that way.

If they all have the same chance, then why do we have to hold back 4 spots for another day. Let the quickest 16 ET's race.....simple.

You are about 7 years to late to stomp around and make that argument. But, again, there were well financed teams who would miss the setup on Friday not making the show on Saturdays. My guess is that some of the multi team owners were more behind the push than anyone else, but I don't remember all the details of the rule change.

Either way, it is what it is, and has been for a while. This isn't the first time, and wont be the last time, that it happens. And, I would argue that more teams make pulls on Saturday than in the past because they had a new shot to make the show now. One they didn't have in the past.

And, if you want to open up the door for using data recorders to say that they should get a re-run, or placed in the field, you also have to make a provision to include any team that has a run tossed out because someone else takes out the timing blocks at the big end. And that happens far, far, far more times than the situation with Hale, Diehl, and Russo. You don't want to open up that can of worms.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back