NHRA Limits Number of Cars per each Owner in a Category (1 Viewer)

Well maybe it will pacify the big team detractors but it don't mean beans.
Myself I believe anything to keep car counts up is a good thing. We are not overly blessed with cars anyway!
Just because a big team loses a car because of a rule doesn't mean a little guy will pick it up. It may just mean one less car!
Face it the big teams attract the big sponsors to the sport and that's the primary motivator for being able to field a fuel team. $$$$$

This new "Shoemacher" rule seems about as clear as mud.....
Not that I am defending DSR necessarily, but don't forget about NHRA's golden child John Force there. ;) He's fielded a 3-car FC team for a "few" years now. (Not bashing Force either, so don't nobody get wadded panties in yer crack).

The original poster had it right, I think this is aimed at Force and DSR mainly.

Good news? Now we only have the threat of seeing 4 teams racing on Sunday. :eek:

The word in the new rule that really stands out to me is "financing". Is this a DSR-JFR rule, or is it really a Knoll rule?

The word in the new rule that really stands out to me is "financing". Is this a DSR-JFR rule, or is it really a Knoll rule?

I was thinking the same thing. With the battle over conflicting schedules and Evan sponsoring such a large number of teams, his ability to affect NHRA by boycotting all his teams (maybe) is what is being addressed here??

I say "it's about time" that NHRA addressed this. I like JFR and DSR and DPR and the Worsham's and Kallitta's, but owning 4 cars in the same category is ENOUGH! Probably one too many, but I can agree with this ruling. Not that my opinion is worth anything. Anybody know the definition of the word MONOPLY? There are only 16 cars in a field, and 4 is a huge chunk of that (1/4th) so if 5 or 6 or ??? were allowed, or no limits were imposed, then having 2 Team owners could be it. That being said, if it meant attracting more sponsors, and the fuel classes could be expanded to 32 cars, then that would be cool. Dream on... ;)

I Understand Wanting To Limit Them And All That. I Really Do, But I Would Rather Have 20 Cars Show Up For An Event Owned By 4 Or 5 Owners Than Have 14 Cars Show Up Owned By 10 Or 12 Owners. The Little Guy Is Who Is Going To Get Hurt In This Deal. I Say If You Can Get The $$$ To Run 10 Teams, Then More Power To You.

I would have been more impressed if it allowed just 3 cars per team as it stands right now it doesn't change a thing Force gets to ad Ashley to his current 3 car team and leaves DSR with it's current field! :confused:
I guess NHRA wanted to address the problem but do absolutely nothing to REALLY change it! :cool:

Last edited:
DSR/FORCE Rule

From what I read, it appears "ownership" will be a very broad term, basically keeping JFR and others from running more than 4 cars in one category regardless who is listed as the "owner". Of course this will be up to the NHRA to decide on a case by case basis.

Danny

If NHRA really looked at Real World Business Models, I think they'd understand they are going against the tide. Right now, in the small package & Freight Industry, you have UPS, DHL, and FedEx... and yes, I'm leaving out reigonal LTL's... UPS does Ocean, LTL (they bought Overnight Trans.) Small package, Customs Brokerage... ect. FedEx does it all but Ocean (at this time), DHL is just like UPS.

In the compressed air filtration industy, we now have two major players: Parker-Hainifin and Donaldson... if ya can't beat 'em, by 'em...

I can go on with each of our lines, but it is an Industry trend.

I DO NOT believe owning more than 4 teams is a bad thing for the sport, and I Do Not believe a sponsor will go to a one car team with anywhere near the money that they pay JFR or DSR.
JFR is a family operation, and if I had 3 kids who wanted to drive, a son in law, a loyal crew chief or two that had kids that wanted to drive, heck yes, I'd put them all in cars if I could find the sponsorship, along with a car for me.

CSK, DSR, Family P. if you can get the bucks, ya should be able to field as many cars as you can...

And that's the bottom line

If NHRA really looked at Real World Business Models, I think they'd understand they are going against the tide. Right now, in the small package & Freight Industry, you have UPS, DHL, and FedEx... and yes, I'm leaving out reigonal LTL's... UPS does Ocean, LTL (they bought Overnight Trans.) Small package, Customs Brokerage... ect. FedEx does it all but Ocean (at this time), DHL is just like UPS.

In the compressed air filtration industy, we now have two major players: Parker-Hainifin and Donaldson... if ya can't beat 'em, by 'em...

I can go on with each of our lines, but it is an Industry trend.

I DO NOT believe owning more than 4 teams is a bad thing for the sport, and I Do Not believe a sponsor will go to a one car team with anywhere near the money that they pay JFR or DSR.
JFR is a family operation, and if I had 3 kids who wanted to drive, a son in law, a loyal crew chief or two that had kids that wanted to drive, heck yes, I'd put them all in cars if I could find the sponsorship, along with a car for me.

CSK, DSR, Family P. if you can get the bucks, ya should be able to field as many cars as you can...

And that's the bottom line

I could definetly see your point but why not spread the wealth some of these independant teams could do well but because of the lack of sponsorship money they can't lean on it!
You could have 1 Billionaire but I prefer 20 Millionaires. ;)

The Little Guy Is Who Is Going To Get Hurt In This Deal. I Say If You Can Get The $$$ To Run 10 Teams, Then More Power To You.

Justin, I don't understand your statement: "The Little Guy Is Who Is Going To Get Hurt in This Deal".

And also don't understand why the first letter of every word is capitalized?

How is the "little guy" hurt by this rule? It was hard enough running as an independent against a 3 car or 4 car team, so how does this LIMIT make it any worse? I see it as only hurting the "big guys" as in DSR or Kallita, or Evan Knoll from expanding to 5 or more cars, but not the little guy. It doesn't HELP the little guys either, since the restriction doesn't force any team to cut back on their cars, unlike the NASCAR rule that goes into effect in 2007 or 2008 which limits them to no more than 4 car teams I believe. Currently one team (Jack Roush?) has 5 cars, if I'm not mistaken, and he will have to cut back to 4, but has a year or more to do it.

Justin, I don't understand your statement: "The Little Guy Is Who Is Going To Get Hurt in This Deal".

And also don't understand why the first letter of every word is capitalized?

How is the "little guy" hurt by this rule? It was hard enough running as an independent against a 3 car or 4 car team, so how does this LIMIT make it any worse? I see it as only hurting the "big guys" as in DSR or Kallita, or Evan Knoll from expanding to 5 or more cars, but not the little guy. It doesn't HELP the little guys either, since the restriction doesn't force any team to cut back on their cars, unlike the NASCAR rule that goes into effect in 2007 or 2008 which limits them to no more than 4 car teams I believe. Currently one team (Jack Roush?) has 5 cars, if I'm not mistaken, and he will have to cut back to 4, but has a year or more to do it.

By hurting the little guy I meant as far as sponsorship $$$ and driving for a good team. If you think that Zizzo/Hartley/Jack Wyatt/Gary Densham(I know Racebricks but how much does he really get from them, I doubt alot) would rather drive there own car and spend there hard earned $$$ to barely qualify and go out first round 99% of the time if they do qualify instead of driving for a JFR/DSR/Knoll whatever your crazy. I understand its hard for them to compete against them but without Knoll's $$$ for example would these things be happening: Melanie Troxel leading the pts in the first half the year and having the best car? JR Todd winning 2 races? Mike Ashley running well now under the DSR umbrella? Dave Connelly in championship contention? or Dale Creasy in IHRA? I could go on and on. It just means that if Don Shoe had the money to run 6 Funny Cars and could only have 4 then 2 lower guys would not have a chance at an awesome ride they otherwise could have had. As for the upper case letter or each word, sometimes when I post here it does that. Trust me, I dont take the time to do that.

Helping the little assumes that money not recieved by the "Big" teams will end up elsewhere... I'll believe That when I see it.

I just read the DRO story on this new rule and I don't think Evan Knoll should be on that list he doesn't own those teams he just sponsors them.
I would like to think that any entity should be allowed to sponsor as many teams as they want or can afford too!

I think NHRA was concerned about The Don adding a fifth funny car with Fast Jack behind the wheel, which would make it number five... Scelzi, Capps, Baze, Askley and Fast Jack...

Just my .02

Maybe if NHRA spent more time helping the one car teams get sponsorships, this hole multi-car team thing would'nt be necessary. John Force, Schumacher, and others have people on their payroll solely to find sponsors and make sure they get their $$$$ worth. That's why they get the sponsorships. I think NHRA should have some marketing people out beating the bushes for the "other guys" that can't afford a full time marketing
person(s). They can also have an NHRA sponsored hospitality area that all of the little teams could jointly use at an affordable price. NHRA needs to stop sitting on their backsides counting money. They need to get out and work for the racers, not make stupid rules that piss the owners off.

The other day, my fire dept. crew had a call at the local Holiday Inn. When we got there, I noticed the US Army TF show car trailer in the lot. After we were done with the fire call, we went to see the trailer. Being the shy and withdrawn guys that we are, we hunted down the show car driver and got him out to open the trailer for us. He gladly came down and spent time with us looking at the car and answering questions. The guy's name was Brian James. Anyway, now the guys on my crew got to see a TF car up close, not just on TV. They are now Tony Schumacher fans. THIS IS WHY DSR gets the sponsors. They work to keep the sponsors and fans happy.

Does anyone knows the rules in California about membership rights in a Non-Profit org. in refer to electing board members?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back