NHRA Layoffs (1 Viewer)

Notch1320

BerserkoBob
Nitro Member
NHRA laid-off a bunch of employees last Monday including most of the TV crew including a long-time friend of mine. Maybe some of the high-sheriffs should take a pay cut?

Nah...That ain't gonna happen.

Hmmmmm. He makes a lot of sense. I have thought what about sponsors? Are they willing to pay the team when no one is racing? Will they cancel the sponsorship because they need the money to stay afloat? Bad thing would be lesser funded teams going out of business because they just won't have the money to race. Also race tracks. Lots of tracks depend on a national event to make ends meet for the year. How about 1/8 mile series, like Pro Mod and Radial Vs the World? Big $$ ET races? Also thought about virtual drag racing. Would we be willing to watch it? How realistic would it be?

If the season is cancelled for this year, will there be enough cars to make a 16 car field in Pro classes in 2021? Would nitro teams switch to alky to have enough money to race? If they did that, TA/FC & T/AD would become Pros and no problem with filling 16 car fields, provided the alky teams have the $$$ to race. If funding is really tight for 2021, what about splitting the country in half and having a Western Division & an Eastern Division, say with 12 races in each Division?

Just my 2 cents but the country is going to need time to recover, especially those who lost jobs. How would this affect spectators? Would people be willing to go to the races if we all have to sit together? I really, really hope I'm full of crap & things will return to normal soon. Just thinking out loud.

If the 2020 season is over, does Doug win the championship? heh

eccelstone is a retired billionaire, just remember that. he constantly opines about what used to be his.
when this virus is over, people will be desperate for sports. if time allows in 2020, sports will deliver, and that includes motorsports.

Hmmmmm. He makes a lot of sense. I have thought what about sponsors? Are they willing to pay the team when no one is racing? Will they cancel the sponsorship because they need the money to stay afloat? Bad thing would be lesser funded teams going out of business because they just won't have the money to race. Also race tracks. Lots of tracks depend on a national event to make ends meet for the year. How about 1/8 mile series, like Pro Mod and Radial Vs the World? Big $$ ET races? Also thought about virtual drag racing. Would we be willing to watch it? How realistic would it be?

If the season is cancelled for this year, will there be enough cars to make a 16 car field in Pro classes in 2021? Would nitro teams switch to alky to have enough money to race? If they did that, TA/FC & T/AD would become Pros and no problem with filling 16 car fields, provided the alky teams have the $$$ to race. If funding is really tight for 2021, what about splitting the country in half and having a Western Division & an Eastern Division, say with 12 races in each Division?

Just my 2 cents but the country is going to need time to recover, especially those who lost jobs. How would this affect spectators? Would people be willing to go to the races if we all have to sit together? I really, really hope I'm full of crap & things will return to normal soon. Just thinking out loud.

I definitely don't see anyone going back to TAD or TAFC. They get treated like trash sometimes.

If the alky classes go away, then T/D and T/S would become the featured classes at Divisionals. I went to Div 7 race at Tucson earlier this year. Really missed the alky classes, but T/D and T/S put on a good show.

For some reason, I get the sense that if that was the case, and if they “offered” that scenario to him; Mr. Kalitta would not accept it. Or perhaps it would be accepted and then dedicated to those who’ve lost their lives to the pandemic; or the championship would be dedicated to those in healthcare and other professions who are out there on the front lines of all this. Or it would somehow be tied to to a charity or fundraiser. I don’t know why I think that; but Doug and his people deserve to win a real, full championship as far as I’m concerned. This would be nothing to celebrate IMHO.

IMO, no one that races nitro is going to race TAD or TAFC. Once those guys/gals get a taste of racing Nitro, there is no going back. If it was just a case of going to alcohol "to keep racing", the TAD and TAFC pits would be overflowing with former nitro racers ... how many do you see there now?

If racers were so concerned with costs, they wouldn't race nitro in the first place, it doesn't make financial sense on any level to race nitro.

I definitely don't see anyone going back to TAD or TAFC. They get treated like trash sometimes.
I don't know Randy Meyer playing 3 dragsters this year he just hired my grandson for his third team. He's optimistic Sportman Classis will start racing in June there's not many fans in stands for Sportsman classes anyway.

As for the layoffs, it sucks, but I understand why companies are doing it. Most of the layoffs occurring in the USA are done with the understanding that when this pandemic is over, they will have a job to come back to (not sure specifically about the NHRA situation). How long should we expect businesses to carry expenses when there is no revenue?

Now, with all of that being said, the recent stimulus package accounts for all of this. People who are laid off due to Corona will get their state unemployment PLUS $600 per week from the feds thru July 31. In my state, the max is $415 per week, plus the $600, you could be bringing home $1015 per week, $4060 per month on unemployment. That should see most American families thru this crisis. I would also be willing to bet that if we get to July 31 with no resolution that the feds will extend the benefits for another 90 or 120 days.

Some people, like the OP of this thread, act like people who are laid off are roaming the streets looking for the soup kitchen like it's the Great Depression or something. That is NOT the case at all. MOST people who are laid off due to Corona have a job to go back to and MOST will qualify for the enhanced unemployment benefits.

Last edited:
NHRA laid-off a bunch of employees last Monday including most of the TV crew including a long-time friend of mine. Maybe some of the high-sheriffs should take a pay cut?

Nah...That ain't gonna happen.
the sheriffs prob got a bonus lol

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back