NHRA Jr Street (2 Viewers)

I think the concern wasn't over whether the vehicle is insured for damage, but would an accident at a track affect the insurability of the youngster for their future. But definitely, don't ask the insurance company. All that will get you is a in-house red flag. "Questioned drag racing coverage on underage youth" eek.

I just went back and read the rules, scan down to pg 2. I can't believe nhra is making them wear a helmet.
Here nhra had a great Idea to get youth involved at no cost to them or mom & dad, then they go and screw it up.
Not only does the driver need a helmet, but the co-driver does too. That alone will kill the program.
How much does TWO snell helmets cost???

You know the idea of taking the family car to a drag strip and teaching your 13 teen year old son or daughter how to go fast seems a little crazy to me.

Why not let them start out in karting or a quarter midget first? Racing is something you learn to do over time and getting plenty of seat time is what they really need.

I just don't think them getting seat time in the family car makes a great deal of sense to me.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

You know the idea of taking the family car to a drag strip and teaching your 13 teen year old son or daughter how to go fast seems a little crazy to me.

Why not let them start out in karting or a quarter midget first? Racing is something you learn to do over time and getting plenty of seat time is what they really need.

I just don't think them getting seat time in the family car makes a great deal of sense to me.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

Not sure what you feel the difference is with your recommendation. I have one of the largest 1/4 midgets clubs in the East miles from my house. I can tell you that there are 8-9 year olds doing 50+ mph heading into the turns with other cars all around fighting for space.

How do we think that might be safer than 1 or 2 cars going 70 mph max in a straight line with ample space to slow down safely? Fail to see the difference and as I (and others) have stated earlier ... if you are not comfortable in participating in the program, do not sign up. Its that simple. Can't fault the NHRA for doing something in an attempt to increase awareness, participation, and growth at the grass roots level.

I just went back and read the rules, scan down to pg 2. I can't believe nhra is making them wear a helmet.
Here nhra had a great Idea to get youth involved at no cost to them or mom & dad, then they go and screw it up.
Not only does the driver need a helmet, but the co-driver does too. That alone will kill the program.
How much does TWO snell helmets cost???

On the cheap, $70-$80 per, almost the cost of fuel if they have to drive a bit to get to a track, and I don't think a parent/guardian would balk at that particular expense if the family decided to look into actually going ahead with the program.

They're being quite liberal with that particular spec. It's a rather small cost when looking at everything that is needed for every other entry point/class.

Initial cost before a run is made: $140-$200
Insured family car (assuming they already have one of those) which can pass most state's basic safety inspection for registration. $0 extra
Other Fluids/Nominal Maintenance/Tires (assuming they do that for the family car already) $0 extra
Two Helmets meeting NHRA spec for the class $140-$200
Bragging rights at school the Monday following? PRICELESS

Cost per track day: $40-$90 depending on distance to track
Track participant entry (unsure of this, as it all depends, but I can't imagine it would run too high as it's in everyone's benefit to get 'em while they're young) let's say $30/day for both members
Fuel (assuming you have an 1/8th mile NHRA/IHRA track no more than 100 miles from you ~13-15 gals @ 20MPG @ $4/gal (just to be safe) $60/trip including track miles and sitting in Burger Drive-Through on way home. (burger not included in track day estimate)

If they're actually thinking of doing something for their child that involves racing, of any type, let-alone any other "hobby", it doesn't get much cheaper than that. A skateboard and helmet runs that much, and I'm sure Jr Dragster folks spend $160 on just the kid's driving suit.
If it's out of their budget for their child, racing isn't really a topic of discussion at their dinner table anyway, or it would be a great opportunity to explain how working for some money to do what you really want to do is the way to go. Imagine just how many kids would be willing to mow lawns, or clean yards etc. if this was eating at their brain. It's great motivation. Work harder/longer, and forgo some of the normal kid interests, and they can buy a fancier helmet (which is totally cool, dontcha know)

I keep imagining the value of having an excited kid going back to school, dying to tell anyone that will listen about his/her day at a real race track. The free marketing hitting the ultimate demographic for the future is indeed, priceless in my mind.

Last edited:
The comment was the following,
Not sure what you feel the difference is with your recommendation. I have one of the largest 1/4 midgets clubs in the East miles from my house. I can tell you that there are 8-9 year olds doing 50+ mph heading into the turns with other cars all around fighting for space.

When my sons were learning to race karts they were also running those same speeds when something did happen you could simply load the kart up and take it home and fix it.
Also remember all those kids where full face helmets, neck braces, driving suits, racing gloves and proper foot wear to protect them along with nerf bars and in some cases a roll bar.

When you think of something happening to the family car you use everyday it becomes a much bigger expense.

As far as the safety aspect of it I believe you are much safer in your family car then in a 1/4 midget or a kart. Open wheel racing as always been more dangerous in my mind.

I just cannot see myself saying to a 13 teen year old sure take the family car for a pass at a local drag strip. I know it's just the 1/8 mile but it not hard to hurt an engine or transmission these day's.

Jimbo

If a 16 yr old can learn how to merge onto a busy freeway then a 13 yr old can go in a straight line with no traffic. I see adults unable to merge onto a freeway everyday. It's in their attitude, their education and the ability for a vehicle to accelerate to 70+ without an issue. Remember, these are bone stock street cars. Nothing is going to make them get out of shape except the steering wheel. I am rather confident the only mishap will be the kid who would have hit the cars on the freeway anyway.

I understand the possible mechanical damage, but again, these torque converters we're talking about will absorb a whole heck of a lot, and again, if they ruin the engine/tranny, the kid would have ruined it pulling out of Sonic just as easily.

Yesterday my 12yr old grandson and I were in my shop talking and he actually ask me what I was going to do with the 68 Camaro I had setting out back, at first I didn't know what to think I was shocked he ask me. After we talked awhile i explained to him that the car had no title and it would be a nice bracket car. I told him if he's interested we will start working on it next year. He wants to bring it into shop so I told him if helps we will make room this weekend. The moral to this story I have the opportunity to help my grandson learn about Drag Racing from the ground up and I know he will appreciate more than taking a family car to the drag strip. Just my opinion of course!

Yesterday my 12yr old grandson and I were in my shop talking and he actually ask me what I was going to do with the 68 Camaro I had setting out back, at first I didn't know what to think I was shocked he ask me. After we talked awhile i explained to him that the car had no title and it would be a nice bracket car. I told him if he's interested we will start working on it next year. He wants to bring it into shop so I told him if helps we will make room this weekend. The moral to this story I have the opportunity to help my grandson learn about Drag Racing from the ground up and I know he will appreciate more than taking a family car to the drag strip. Just my opinion of course!

That's great. Honest. He's a very lucky kid. Yes, your grandson will be ahead of the curve, having someone who will spend the time to show him the why's, the what's and the how's. But there's kids with families that buy a new lawn mower because the spark plug was fouled and wouldn't start. This is for them. No mechanical skill needed.

Sounds like something the guys used to tell their parents when they asked to borrow the family car for a while.

"Remember, these are bone stock street cars"

I think that was the night we had to tell his parents that we broke one of the rear axles on the parents car!!!! The car was a 1964 small block automatic Chevrolet.

Jimbo

I think that was the night we had to tell his parents that we broke one of the rear axles on the parents car!!!! The car was a 1964 small block automatic Chevrolet.

Hmmm. Something tells me there's more to this breakage than being in gear, at a standing start, and mashing the throttle to go down a straight flat road.

[QUOTE="Kevin Knauer, post: 331135, member: 6931 I don't think a parent/guardian would balk at that particular expense if the family decided to look into actually going ahead with the program..[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I think the $200 for something the kid might try once, and say, "no more thanks" is a deal breaker.
It also removes the impromptu, "hey the announcer said Junior can make a run down the track with our car if I ride with him" .
Unless tracks are going to get in the helmet renting business...??

Once again nhra took a great Idea and over regulated it to death. I'm all for safety, but come on, chances are mom or dad drove faster
on the way TO the track, than Junior will go ON the track, yet the state didn't require a helmet.

I disagree, I think the $200 for something the kid might try once, and say, "no more thanks" is a deal breaker.
It also removes the impromptu, "hey the announcer said Junior can make a run down the track with our car if I ride with him" .
Unless tracks are going to get in the helmet renting business...??

Once again nhra took a great Idea and over regulated it to death. I'm all for safety, but come on, chances are mom or dad drove faster
on the way TO the track, than Junior will go ON the track, yet the state didn't require a helmet.

Considering what a lot of parents spend on other activities for their children...$200 is a drop in the bucket.

I was talking with someone last night about money spent on youth sports for kids. Between travel basketball and track & field, We have spent minimum $5000 on our daughter over the last 6 years. I know many other parents who have spent double of that amount.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back