NHRA in Australia for next year? (1 Viewer)

Just call Tony George to see how much it cost to ship the IRL to Japan for 1 race. Then put together a business plan, consult with air carriers, etc. Get some up front financial commitment from the Aussies, or exchange the title rights to the race for the shipping expense (or a significant percentage thereof). Someone in Oz will pony up to be the title rights sponsor, WSID would kick in some capital (they will make it back just in concessions over 3 days most likely).

Like I said, it CAN be done, it just takes a little more vision and leg work to put together than Compton's Crew are willing to do, so the Aussies are going to have to make the first move to get Compton's attention.

I personally don't think it will happen, but I would love to see it, and I would go to see it.

Well if any other Country deserves an NHRA race, it's Aussieland! IT seems every race I attend I meet someone from Down under who spent Boo coo Bucks getting here!

I agree with Bobby, though it certainly is possible logistics wise. We ship our entire 32-car V8 Supercar Series (read, road race versions of NASCARs) offshore twice a year to New Zealand and Bahrain (going there again at the end of next month). Two jumbo jets get packed with all cars and spares. It's a huge job, but possible.

A problem in doing this is that the fields would probably be just eight cars:

- Australian Pro Stock runs an entirely different formula (400 cube engines)
- shortage of Australian Funny Cars and maybe one would comply with NHRA rules
- Very few Australian Top Fuel cars comply to NHRA rules (most run 90%, SFI compliment of components, etc).

While I may prove to be wrong, I don't think WSID will happen, its possibly more of an opportunistic grab to get some positive PR with all of the negativity down here at the moment.

One thing's for sure, if they were to get the round WSID would have to improve on making results available, having stepped back pre 1995 with their event on the weekend.................................

Oh, and Bobby, good luck on becoming President!

As I said above, we ship our V8 Supercars (32 cars) via airfreight twice a year - began in 2005 with a race in China - check out the gallery V8 Supercars airfreight and another here

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back