New Sponsor and Driver for Dunn (1 Viewer)

an established brand using nhra to reinforce itself....for 1/2 the season....great stuff.

Jim Dunn and that group always seem to find a sponsor every year. Great news for them !!
While I agree and love seeing Jim Dunn out there every season, doesn't the driver bring the sponsor with him with Dunn's team? Regardless, whatever they're doing works. Maybe there's something to be said for being frugal and finding a way to survive in today's nitro world. As a side note, Jim Dunn's not blowing his stuff up every run like a lot of small-budget teams which is a credit to his tuning savvy.

Now 7-11 needs to stock their stores with NHRA stuff and get the gospel of Nitro out to the young-uns
uh, no.....7-11 does not care about the future of nhra.....the price is rite for approx. 12 races with 7-11 stores in those markets in hopes of either keeping customers and generating new ones......if you go to the same c-store continually, how much do you think you spend there in a year? (gas/coffee/food/tobacco/beverage/snacks)......then how much in 10 years?.....pretty good return for sponsoring some drag racer for a few races in 2017......in fact, they may get enough traffic from nhra race fans in their local stores on race weekends to pay for that race.

My guess it is a marketing tie-in with Oberto to sell jerky and promote their brand at the same time. Last year they ran a Circle K scheme at several races and this year it is 7-11? Too coincidental. My second guess is that those are probably Oberto's 2 biggest retailers.

Oberto has been involved with Unlimited Hydroplane for a long time. It's nice to see them extend their range some. Anything that keeps Big Jim out there is good with me. I might even buy some.

How many times have we heard from racers and the public hiw Drag racing is a Dud to sponsors? Yet Jim Dunn seems to land a sponsor every year! Granted they may not be the Mega $$$ deals the Front runners get, but at least they are out there.

Racing is seldom a justifiable ROI for sponsors, I bet half of the time sponsors do it just because it's cool, and I am glad they do.
But yeah, I dig the way Jim Dunn always seems to get a sponsor we have not seen before.

eric, i was surprised too when jim landed that men's magazine sponsor all those years ago.....doesn't matter it's name, i understand the jist of your comment, you are right, a very unique sponsor.
then again, look at the models at the races......rockstar / skoal / harley / gas monkey / traxxas.
not exactly amish attire :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I also remember that it wasn't universally appreciated by other, more conservative, teams in the pit. Not exactly family friendly, if you know what I mean.

It wasn't Hustler
Dunn9.jpg

A few Million. But I noticed with Kaliita's having Wix come aboard with their sticker on the burst panel, I would imagine that in order to get the finances to run a Fuel car, This will be the New norm of having numerous sponsors than just one being wrapped on the car. If you were to have maybe 3 sponsors on the car you can charge them a small amount individually v.s. 1 large amount required to fund a team. Lets say your fuel team needs 3 mil. to run a season, Why not have 3 sponsors chipping in 1 mil. a piece for the season instead of 1 sponsor pulling 3 mil. out of their pocket by themselves.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back