New ND "You Asked For It" (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Did anyone notice in the piece about Pat Foster there was a picture and caption about a TF car that Pat built and drove in I think 1970. He said it was an ill handling beast. They slowed down the steering and it did seem to improve. Unfortunatley as they were sorting it out future the car crashed at Lions. This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone else being on the verge of perfecting the rear engine TF car. Garlits breakthrough with the rear engine car has widely been attributed his slowing down the steering on his car. My point is while Big has an incredible career he is most widely remembered for his development of the rear engine dragster. I had never ever heard about anyone else ever being close to solving the rear engine riddle.

There is a picture of that car, (might even be the same pic ND used) and a similar story in the High Performance book by Robert Post. I guess it's pretty easy now to say yeah we were getting close even though it went ass over tea-kettle before making it's first full run. :D

Are these articles different than the "Reader's Choice" articles? Which issue are you guys referring to?

Are these articles different than the "Reader's Choice" articles? Which issue are you guys referring to?

My bad The name on the ND stories is Readers Choice

Also on the same subject, check out Phil Burgess's article in his column dated 3-19. Goes into more detail on the birth of the rear engine TF car he gleamed from Robert Post's great book "High Performance". One bit that I bet most don't know was Big Daddy drove later in the season that his front motor car severed his foot. I'll have to dig my original hardback copy of that book and reread it, it had some fascinating fact's, figures and stories from early drag racing history up to current history at the time it was published in what I believe was 1994. Great reading.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back