New Ford Engine Unveiled (1 Viewer)

john medlen must be a ford guy , all the pics ive seen of this motor have him next to it no coil no bernie . I hope coil is still a hemi guy

I think John Medlen was the one that helped "develop" (if you can call putting Ford stickers on a HEMI "develop") this motor, not Coil. Could be wrong, though.

Bet this is really setting off Walt Austin. Wasn't he building a new engine a while back and NHRA put the halt to it?

After all the money & time JFR has spent this year to make F/C safer, NHRA doesn't dare stop their new engine. John might just start his own association!

Bet this is really setting off Walt Austin. Wasn't he building a new engine a while back and NHRA put the halt to it?

After all the money & time JFR has spent this year to make F/C safer, NHRA doesn't dare stop their new engine. John might just start his own association!

I believe that the bore spacing on the Austin motor was different from the NHRA "Spec" motor criteria which was based on the Hemi. This new "Ford" engine has the specified bore spacing.

Late.................Mitch

I believe that the bore spacing on the Austin motor was different from the NHRA "Spec" motor criteria which was based on the Hemi. This new "Ford" engine has the specified bore spacing.

also,
crank to cam center
valve angle

sounds more like bottom end upgrades and JFR has already been doing their own heads for a while.

d'kid

Those valve cover covers look totally pointless and in the way to me...
But, what do I know, I',m just a sanitary engineer (not really)...

Eh - looks like something Ford would do. :D

DLB

The Walt Austin motor was based on the actual Boss spec (5" Bore Center?) which I believe was originally approved by Glendora, then disallowed when they were ready to run it. I think Coil was quoted as saying that it would've obsoleted all the current nitro motors if it had been allowed.

also,
crank to cam center
valve angle

sounds more like bottom end upgrades and JFR has already been doing their own heads for a while.

d'kid

they been doin most everything in house with their engine stuff.....i quote john "Coil made me build a $25,000 expansion to build nuts and bolts I can go down to the hardware store and buy for $.10 a piece"

DLB
They all run them over the plug wires..................

photo20.jpg

DLB

So when you blow the plugs out they don't become bullets shooting into the stands... also help hold the plug wires on...

True.

Here's a picture of the old Racegirl dragster I took in Brainerd in '05

Picture057.jpg

OK - I digress then.

That ^^^ I am used to seeing.

Those just looked awkward I suppose - a little wider or something.
Oh well. Oops. Open mouth - insert foot - taste leather.

DLB

It sure looks like a good ole Chrysler design w/ a few "ford" part numbers thrown in to make it a Ford?
It's interesting that when Coil was asked on TV if the engines Force has been using are Chrysler hemi's, he tapped danced around the subject and answered that " Todays fuel motors have no OEM parts in them". I doubt the new "Ford " fuel motor has many ford parts in it either. and I bet it shares the basic Mopar architecture which goes back to the original 426 from 1964

It sure looks like a good ole Chrysler design w/ a few "ford" part numbers thrown in to make it a Ford?
It's interesting that when Coil was asked on TV if the engines Force has been using are Chrysler hemi's, he tapped danced around the subject and answered that " Todays fuel motors have no OEM parts in them". I doubt the new "Ford " fuel motor has many ford parts in it either. and I bet it shares the basic Mopar architecture which goes back to the original 426 from 1964

"It has a strengthened block for better durability and new cylinder heads developed by Ford and Force engineers. The basic design will favor areas such as the main caps register and the main webs in the block... Most of the external surface areas on the new 500-cubic-inch engine have been redesigned; a new belly pan was designed for better sealing... The engine also features Ford main bearings with actual parts numbers in the Ford performance catalog."

Let's be honest here- we all know its a stretch to get 1000hp out of ANY factory product.. The idea over at JFR is what it has been always- Do what's best for the sponsors, in this case, Ford, for branding a sucessful team with product association.. I'm all for JFR running a "Ford" block, as long as it doesn't completely oblterate the competition while also being unavailable to the masses.. Those guys at JFR have shown everyone how to make modern sponsors happy, and this is just one more step in that adventure..

Yeah, the Hemi is the foundation for all that we bow down to :), but Mercury lead to Apollo and those bad ass Saturn muthers!!! If this opens the flood gates, good for us!!! I can't wait to see nitro in 2011...:D

Just like all of the Pro Stock engines have 4.9" bore spacing... they are all really Big Block Fords rebadged! Wouldn't you agree?

as long as it doesn't completely oblterate the competition while also being unavailable to the masses..

Naaa-NHRA wouldnt let that happen. Well not unless the mfg. throws alot of money--and promises to make to make them availble after a period of development. Just like H-D did with Vance+ Hines. :(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back