New Doorslammer Record - 5.14!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Steve Morris had a video talking about how traction control is being used to cover for a bad set up. It is actually hurting motors because the drivers are using it all the way through the run instead of at the top end

I saw that video when he originally released it..... He's not saying traction control can only be used at the top end, he's saying traction control should not be active during the entire pass, instead of momentarily activating to catch excessive wheel speed, then deactivating again. Like he said in the video, traction control should be used to "SAVE" your pass, not "MAKE" your pass. If you watch Pete Harrell's videos about traction control (he's basically the expert on the topic, he helped design Profiler for/with Davis) he will show graphs where the traction control was only active once or twice during the entire pass, for a split second each time. Traction control does not typically hurt engines when used correctly.

I saw that video when he originally released it..... He's not saying traction control can only be used at the top end, he's saying traction control should not be active during the entire pass, instead of momentarily activating to catch excessive wheel speed, then deactivating again. Like he said in the video, traction control should be used to "SAVE" your pass, not "MAKE" your pass. If you watch Pete Harrell's videos about traction control (he's basically the expert on the topic, he helped design Profiler for/with Davis) he will show graphs where the traction control was only active once or twice during the entire pass, for a split second each time. Traction control does not typically hurt engines when used correctly.
Yeah I forgot to check that… it was supposed to say “when needed”. I went back and rewatched the video to be sure and edited my post but didn’t hit enter🙃

That's incredible, well done.

About traction control, I want to read more into it. I don't know how I would feel about it being aloud. It would make for closer racing, but it feels like it may take something away from watching. It would feel like the driver is really just in for the ride.

That's incredible, well done.

About traction control, I want to read more into it. I don't know how I would feel about it being aloud. It would make for closer racing, but it feels like it may take something away from watching. It would feel like the driver is really just in for the ride.
It's already allowed pretty much everywhere except NHRA competition.... It can help produce monster runs that we probably wouldn't see otherwise. Example: the video in post #1 of this thread. Pretty cool in my opinion. I like watching cars on the ragged edge.... Just my $0.02

It's already allowed pretty much everywhere except NHRA competition.... It can help produce monster runs that we probably wouldn't see otherwise. Example: the video in post #1 of this thread. Pretty cool in my opinion. I like watching cars on the ragged edge.... Just my $0.02
Why dont they allow AI drivers so every race race would be dead even with no drivers to make a difference, o wait they already that when you watch super comp, super gas classes with spectators on board

Let a TA/FC run a "C" PSI screw blower at 125% rather than the current rules that mandate a smaller "D" screw at only 92%. I'd be curious.
Frank Manzo said to me back in 2007 if he had the OD we can run with a D in Australia he could probably run in the 20s. So with a C at a 125 over and add in an auto (not that I'm a fan of them) I would be curious.

true but somewhat takes the driver out of the equation. Pedalfest in the fuel classes always get a lot of attention.
Indeed they do, and not always with the desired result. o_O

de2ba5d8fac76a0656f9ee8cfba82192.jpg

Anyone who has experienced traction control in a street car knows that the way it works is it generally cuts power, among other things. A perfect setup in drag racing would mean the traction control never engaged.
Randy, you'd know....how much additional power would it take to put a current TA/FC in the 5-teens? 1000 hp? Would a 125% C-rotor screw be enough? I wouldn't think so but I'm not the guy to ask.

233mph to the 660 from that Camaro. Geezus. GEEZUS. I read somewhere that thing zinged a hub dyno to nearly 5300hp. That's 10hp/cubic inch on methanol. Geezus.

Why dont they allow AI drivers so every race race would be dead even with no drivers to make a difference, o wait they already that when you watch super comp, super gas classes with spectators on board
I've seen some posts that are out of touch with reality, but this one might just take the cake. Dislike the classes all you want, but to say the drivers have no impact on the race and are just along for the ride is blatantly incorrect.

I've seen some posts that are out of touch with reality, but this one might just take the cake. Dislike the classes all you want, but to say the drivers have no impact on the race and are just along for the ride is blatantly incorrect.
I agree, Super Comp is my least favorite class (Super Gas is alright because of the variety and they can make for some good photos with a wheels up launch) but I respect the hell out of what those guys can do over and over again in basically any conditions.

The Super or .90 classes were never meant to be spectator classes, they are participation categories that serve many purposes. Not sure why people hate on them so much, the cool thing drag racing offers is there's just about something for everybody. Also, for those that have never raced anything, I'd bet they'd be surprised how driving one feels.

Traction Control is on all the consistent alcohol f/c front runners in the Funny Car Chaos now.
One car had it exclusively to the detriment of all others for a few years and dominated,and then others had to upspend to be competitive or go home.
Now if you don't have it you are basically sol.

Traction Control is on all the consistent alcohol f/c front runners in the Funny Car Chaos now.
One car had it exclusively to the detriment of all others for a few years and dominated,and then others had to upspend to be competitive or go home.
Now if you don't have it you are basically sol.
I know for a fact one multi time winner that doesn't use traction control and in his own words "my car is as consistent as hell"

'A' field FCC winner ? Yes consistency and luck does play a huge part of FCC. The above post of mine is only an observation as a competitor with a Nitro Nostalgia F/C in the series. Fast alky funny cars dominate,(with traction control). Especially on a marginal track,and even on a good track, they are very hard to beat with a nitro car.

Your are right, that was a little over kill, with all do respect can you explain what todays super pilot does that sets them apart from other drivers in NHRA today, about fifteen years ago I helped a super dragster find the tune for consistent et’s, it must be really differnt now, been away a lot of years, who ever I offended please except my apology

Your are right, that was a little over kill, with all do respect can you explain what todays super pilot does that sets them apart from other drivers in NHRA today, about fifteen years ago I helped a super dragster find the tune for consistent et’s, it must be really differnt now, been away a lot of years, who ever I offended please except my apology
The driver impact (during the race itself) in the .90 classes is largely threefold:

1) Cutting a light. This is no different than any other class, but still needs mentioned.
2) Controlling the throttle stop. The time it's active is pre-set, but like with bump-down on the starting line, a driver can subtract on the fly based on what they feel and approximate what they want to hold at the top end. The best racers have this down to a science.
3) Driving the stripe. This is the same as all breakout classes where most of the race is spent sizing up the opponent and attempting to judge your own performance by the feel of the car. Then there are several judgement calls to make at the top end. The default is to try and cross the finish line first by as little as possible. If you know you won't get the stripe, forcing the opponent out as long as possible and then dumping them is an option. It gets more nuanced as drivers have to weigh how much they were holding, closing rate (an opponent using a top end stop completely upends a normal routine), gusty winds, etc.

In short, if you try to set up one of these cars to go 8.90 and trust it to do that all the time while simply being along for the ride as a driver, you're going to lose. You might win some rounds, but it's not sustainable for how precise the races are now. To the points above, this is why traction control is banned in breakout classes; perfromance-wise, this WOULD replace a driver because active feedback makes ET's programmable (like with the old Matty boxes). As it stands, though, the driver is critical in determining the outcome of a race, just in a very different sense than classic heads-up classes.

Thanks Brad. Good info to know. Are you running T/D this year?
Hopefully, but we'll see. My dad is getting shoulder surgery in the next couple months due to a fall he took last year (which is largely why we weren't out then) and will probably be in a sling all summer. I don't anticipate much travel, but more local stuff with friend help should be doable. Maybe the odd divisional here and there, but almost certainly not enough to be in the running for points. Regardless, after the headache the last few years have been for a variety of reasons, if we can make it to the track a handful of times and end the year in one piece, it'll be a success.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back