National event and ear protection (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the input everyone. My son is 16 and at the indestructible age. Trying to start him and my wife out at the drag strip so we can enjoy nitro for years to come. I will check the info out.

If you have time to stop at a National event quick enough to get the molds done by Racing Radios/Electronics you will be very happy. I think they were just under $60 and what a difference they make.

They are at other than drag race events also, you can call to see if they are going to be at a track near you.

It's the jet cars for me. They hurt my ears more than anything else, but I'm usually out of the stands and walking away by then anyway. If they would just hire two Fuel Altereds in place of Jets, I would stay. Jet cars never did it for me. The next most harmful noise is the long term exposure to manufacturing sounds. In my case, clean rooms. It's like standing inside of an air conditioner, for 20 years. Any sounds can be harmful, even low decibel sounds if omnipresent.

If you have time to stop at a National event quick enough to get the molds done by Racing Radios/Electronics you will be very happy. I think they were just under $60 and what a difference they make.

They are at other than drag race events also, you can call to see if they are going to be at a track near you.
Thanks Bob, I am going to email them.

Route 66 is a home track of mine, maybe I'll see you there! It honestly depends on where you want to sit. I like to roam the north side (gen admin) stands for different views. However these rules still apply on the south side too. If you sit from about 330' onward you should be good with minimal protection. If you sit anywhere in the "horseshoe" section (behind the starting line around to the tower) bring heavy protection. The echo and reverberation back there will kill your ears after 2 nitro passes. Plus prepare to wear rubber specks if you sit close to the tower behind the burnout box! The trade-off is, it's the first place to see shade on a super hot day in the sun. Also the lower and higher you sit makes a big difference too. Enjoy your trip!

Just plug your ears with your fingers. It only lasts four seconds. If you're taking pictures, then use ear plugs. Simple as that. I've let my ears unplugged a few times on nitro runs, by accident. Not fun and is very brutal. The fuel cars are extremely loud, .... I mean EXTREMELY LOUD.

My wake up call was the 2003 Finals when Bucky Austin did his burnout in the Friday evening session. I don't know if his throttle stop was set wrong, but he seemed to run at a much higher rpm, and that higher pitch, coupled with the noise factor pierced my eardrum and sent a shiver down my spine. From that day on I've worn plugs during the whole event no matter what class is running, and all day long while I'm at work. I'll even wear them at concerts now (Staying out of the pit also helps). Like others here, I also have mild tinnitus, coupled with a moderate hearing loss at the 4K and 6K frequencies, but the yearly hearing tests I do at work have made me more conscious about my doing what I can to protect my hearing.

Pablo, next time you come to Pomona I'll hook you up with a handful of plugs :D

We always use the cheap Winchester shooting muffs from Walmart. I think they were $16 each when we got them years ago. Not only are they good for target shooting, they are great for drag racing. You can still hear Alan, and can still hear the cars. But you won't be experiencing all the damaging effects of the loudness. It turns it into more like a dullness, kind of like putting a pillow around your head.

I started playing drums at 13 and when I started playing in bands I found that having ear plugs in acted as a good monitor for vocals. I also found that my ears did not ring or feel tired after that either. From then on, I've always played using plugs. I now use Westone In Ear monitors for playing.

I've been trying to get my singer friend to use in ear monitors. But she doesn't want to pay the price. They aren't exactly cheap. I paid $650 for mine.

I've been trying to get my singer friend to use in ear monitors. But she doesn't want to pay the price. They aren't exactly cheap. I paid $650 for mine.
Ugh, it's like pulling teeth to convince people how great, and/or how worth the investment, in-ears are. I just have the UM Pro 10's, and I've been very happy with them, particularly for single drivers and $150. With the right foam ear piece on them, there is no fit issue (mine have never come out, and I sweat and move a fair amount), and I have everything I need in my ear. I am the primary backing vocals in my band, and our guitarists frequently play direct with no amps, so I need a little of everything in my monitors. I would like to eventually step up to a custom mold, dual driver, but I am in no hurry at this point. I was going through a Behringer P1, but recently went wireless with one of the new Shure PSM 300 systems. It's a little overkill to have a wireless in-ear system playing drums (it's also the new "most expensive" thing I carry), but the freedom to get up as needed is wonderful. I also play guitar and some other instruments, so I'm prepared ahead, should I ever need the ability.

Ugh, it's like pulling teeth to convince people how great, and/or how worth the investment, in-ears are. I just have the UM Pro 10's, and I've been very happy with them, particularly for single drivers and $150. With the right foam ear piece on them, there is no fit issue (mine have never come out, and I sweat and move a fair amount), and I have everything I need in my ear. I am the primary backing vocals in my band, and our guitarists frequently play direct with no amps, so I need a little of everything in my monitors. I would like to eventually step up to a custom mold, dual driver, but I am in no hurry at this point. I was going through a Behringer P1, but recently went wireless with one of the new Shure PSM 300 systems. It's a little overkill to have a wireless in-ear system playing drums (it's also the new "most expensive" thing I carry), but the freedom to get up as needed is wonderful. I also play guitar and some other instruments, so I'm prepared ahead, should I ever need the ability.

Wow $700 for a PSM 300 at Musician's Friend. Didn't realize wireless stuff was that much. I did pay for custom fit monitors, dual drivers, that's why mine were so expensive.

I cover for any of the Blown cars, wanna save what's left of my hearing! It blows me away how many people can listen to the Fuel cars with no Ear protection, and don't even flinch! They have to be deaf!

I just plug my ears with my fingers when fuel cars make their runs. No biggie, and fingers are free. :D

I can't recommend seeing an audiologist enough. Hearing loss runs in my family and damn skippy if I am not going to get my hearing checked and get hearing aids when the time comes. I don't want to be one of those "what?" guys.

I can't recommend seeing an audiologist enough. Hearing loss runs in my family and damn skippy if I am not going to get my hearing checked and get hearing aids when the time comes. I don't want to be one of those "what?" guys.

Having suffered hearing loss from campaigning a fuel car, hunting, target shooting and almost anything else that could and did destroy my hearing while being a (stupid) tough guy and not wearing ear protection I can tell you that hearing aids may help slightly but are no solution. They are like a small bandaid on a major wound.

I use EAR foam plugs underneath my Howard noise canceling ear muffs. I make sure I carry extra foam plugs and hand them out to kids who don't have any and their parents are clueless. Fingers in the ears don't cut it for them.

Heard to many stories of NASCAR reporters who didn't wear ear plugs. Each year for health hearing test they watched their hearing level collapse. Of course they did nothing.

When I started racing karts I did not wear anything under my helmet. After a few years of a 2-stroke at WFO a foot and a half from my right ear, I noticed my hearing was effected in certain frequency levels. Later in my "career" I wore ear plugs and a helmet. I really liked that I could hear my car, as well as the others around me much better.
My boy and I both wear ear muffs when we go to Bandimere to watch racing.

It's the ringing 24/7... been like this since the mid-seventies... between dozers and scrappers, later alky cars in a shut garage... time on a flight line, head of a runway, flight deck... crew serv. guns... never goes away
d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back