Thank You Kurt and Warren Johnson (1 Viewer)

67 Cuda

Nitro Member
I want to say a big thanks to Kurt and Warren Johnson. My wife, son and I were at Richmond on Friday and Saturday. We were walking around the pits Saturday evening after all qualifying was over and a lot of teams were packing up. My son was trying to get a few autographs in the Pro Stock area. We were by Kurt Johnsons pit watching them get the car ready to put up for the evening and Kurt stuck his head out of the trailer, saw my son standing by the ropes and waved us in his hauler. He signed a couple of things and posed for a picture with my son. We thanked him and told him good luck and how we appreciated him taking the time call us in. We left and my son was grinning from ear to ear. We wandered around some more and got ready to leave but my son wanted to go back by Kurts. As we got near there we saw Warren go into Kurt’s trailer. One of Kurt’s crew members came over where we were standing and started talking to us. We asked if Warren would be coming out soon so my son might be able to get his autograph and the crewmember told my son to come with him and off they went into Kurt’s Trailer. My wife and I could see Warren thru the door, and we could tell he was having a conversation with our son. In a little while, out comes my son with his t-shirt and one of Warren’s cards and a smile that was priceless. Even though Warren did not get qualified, he was nice to my son and made my sons weekend. Both Kurt and Warren Johnson are part of what makes our sport the best!!

I want to say a big thanks to Kurt and Warren Johnson. My wife, son and I were at Richmond on Friday and Saturday. We were walking around the pits Saturday evening after all qualifying was over and a lot of teams were packing up. My son was trying to get a few autographs in the Pro Stock area. We were by Kurt Johnsons pit watching them get the car ready to put up for the evening and Kurt stuck his head out of the trailer, saw my son standing by the ropes and waved us in his hauler. He signed a couple of things and posed for a picture with my son. We thanked him and told him good luck and how we appreciated him taking the time call us in. We left and my son was grinning from ear to ear. We wandered around some more and got ready to leave but my son wanted to go back by Kurts. As we got near there we saw Warren go into Kurt’s trailer. One of Kurt’s crew members came over where we were standing and started talking to us. We asked if Warren would be coming out soon so my son might be able to get his autograph and the crewmember told my son to come with him and off they went into Kurt’s Trailer. My wife and I could see Warren thru the door, and we could tell he was having a conversation with our son. In a little while, out comes my son with his t-shirt and one of Warren’s cards and a smile that was priceless. Even though Warren did not get qualified, he was nice to my son and made my sons weekend. Both Kurt and Warren Johnson are part of what makes our sport the best!!

I spoke to Kurt briefly in Dallas last year, he is a real nice guy.

This is an awesome story. Those guys truly are grateful that they get to do this for a living.

When I was 13 the NHRA came to town for the first time (well a few hours away in Topeka). I wanted to get all the autographs I could from the drivers. I was suprised how open and nice all the racers were (it seemed much less buisy and personal then). In particular was the Johnsons. Kurt and Warren both (I dont even remember if Kurt was driving that year) were very nice, signed some stuff, took time to talk to my father and me. I was very impressed and became a big fan of both. Classy guys, great innovators, and racers.

A few years back I called their shop to buy an autographed hat. Much to my surprise Kurt answered the phone. We didn't carry on a long conversation as I'm sure he was very busy but he did take my order and in about a week I had my hat. I was amazed that he answered the phone instead of a secretary.

This warmth extends to all of the Johnsons. Last year or the year before, we were parked out in the grass and Warren's wife was walking their dog. My partner's wife went over and talked to her for quite a while. Their discussion had almost nothing to do with drag racing, but a lot to do with dogs.

Racers tend to be really friendly people and most of the pros know how important the fans are. I also think it's a little easier to get to talk to them late in the day. I know a lot of fans leave right after qualifying on Saturday, but i'd recommend that you stick around for the sportsmen racing then (I'm biased, but it's really great racing, particularly if you wander down near the top end and watch it from up there) and after an hour or so wander by the pro pits-things have calmed down a bit and you're likely to have the great kind of experience described above-plus you won't be stuck in traffic either.

I'm glad the guy told the experience they had with the Johnson's. I have been friends with them for a few years now and they have treated me very well. I go by the shop when I'm in the area and WJ has always stopped what he was doing and talked. I'm an absolute nobody in P/S circles but that hasn't stopped WJ/KJ and Arlene from treating me very well. Everybody should have the pleasure of seeing a WJ P/S motor making pulls on the dyno,WOW,a sight and sound to behold. I know sometimes WJ is busy and doesn't have time to stop and sign things but from what I've seen,when his day is over he will sign till the line is gone.I will tell you this,he has a sense of humor that is a lot of fun when he gets on a roll. Thanks for the story of your experience.

Last edited:
Great story Jed. Thanks! Now if you fast forward two decades, you have my story. We also ran into Warren and Arlene in Phoenix a few years back and my sons went as far as to ask Warren about building our engines. He was quite interested and spoke extensively about performance tricks/myths/applications with my sons for well over two hours.
We race funny cars and know a number of the pro teams within the NHRA but I guarantee my sons won't trade their time with WJ with anyone else in all the pros. We now stop by and chat at every race we attend and he always takes time to catch up with us.

On a side note, I fear WJs humor is so advanced that most just can't keep up but he's as quick witted as anyone I know.

One last thing, if you could download any brain in all of motorsports, you'd be wise to choose WJs.

speakin' of WJ, is anyone else wandering if the WJ / TA combo is not workin' out maybe ? Warren's car has been off the pace, pretty much all year and in the last race Warren DNQ'd yet KJ had lo et of the meet, so the HP is there! ...... maybe deep six the GTO and build a Cobalt so Warren can have the same exact hardware as Kurt :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back