My New Pond Needs Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member
Alright....................

So I put this little 4 x 6 pond in my yard for a little landscaping. It actually came out pretty cool and we've since added some fish. But the damn thing has turned green and we can't get it to come out of it. Per some advice, we've added some vegetation (lilies, etc.) as well as treated it with some algae treatment, but it's still green. I don't expect the thing to be crystal clear, but I would think it could be better than what it is. Does anyone have some experience with these things? I want to get it as clear as I can (while keeping the fish safe, obviously) and keep it that way.

Anyone have any advice?

Sean D

I have two garden ponds. Not an expert, but after over 10 yrs of this, have learned a lot.
They need sunlight, and a very very very good pump system and run it 24/7 year round. We finally bought a really good one for each pond and that took care of our regular system breakdown. The plants are helpful, but not the answer (as you have discovered). Fish poo a lot, so the very very very good pump you need should be cleaned regularly. Don't overfeed the fish, they are algae eaters, and it sounds like they have a buffet right now. We only feed once every week or less, or when little kids come over and want to do it and see them come to the surface and pig out.
Our neighbor to the north of us has a pond and can't get his to get clear either. Not sure why his is doing the same thing it sounds like yours is. There are many products, and Family Tree on Nieman has some very knowledgeable staff to guide you through. You may also need a clarifier, not just an algaecide. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be.

Thanks for the feedback, Lori!

We feed the fish everyday, so that may be our first and biggest problem. We'll start by cutting that back. As for the pump, the one that's in it runs all the time and is large enough that it moves the amount of water in the pond several times an hour, which would be sufficient, I would think. The only other thing that I can think of based off of what you're saying is that it's not in a spot that gets a ton of direct sun (probably 2-3 hours a day). I'll check into some clarifier as well.

Thanks again!

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back